Page 8 of 47 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
    All-American
    Blog Entries

In the playoffs.....if there is a 3-game series where a 3rd deciding game is played.....it usually happens the very next day.....weather-permitting. The teams that advance have days rest until the next round of playoffs the following week. So the pitching rules are not critical....except within a 2 or 3-game series. This is where pitching depth comes into play and why some teams opt for a one-gamer if they choose a coin flip and win the flip.
    Yesterdays are gone forever and tomorrows may never happen, but today you have the opportunity to make a difference.

All-American
    Blog Entries

Sometimes a team might have 2 really good pitchers but don't have the winning record of their opponent.....but might choose to play a 3-game series anyway because they feel they have a better chance in a best of 3 series with their two good pitchers than they would have in a one-gamer against a better hitting team. This is also a consideration against good offensive opponents that may not have pitching depth but has a really good offense and a better winning record on the season. Won/Loss records on the season can be misleading in baseball.....it just depends on who your opponent scheduled and how improved that team has become thru the season.
    Yesterdays are gone forever and tomorrows may never happen, but today you have the opportunity to make a difference.

All-American
    Blog Entries

Here's some of Argyle's commits to D-1 schools and their positions:
    Brendan Dixon: Sr/6-0/185/SS/TEXAS
    Dillon Carter: Sr/6-0/190/CF;RHP/TEXAS TECH
    Hayden Clearman: Sr/5-10/170/RF;LHP/ABILENE CHRISTIAN
    Preston King: Sr/5-10/170/2B;SS/UT Rio Grande Valley(WAC)
    Austin King: Sr/5-10/170/C;OF/UT Rio Grande Valley(WAC)
    Chad Ricker: Sr/6-0/190/RHP;Utility anywhere/UTSA
    Sean Bolin: Sr/6-3/200/RHP/UTAH
    Cade Merka: Jr/6-0/175/3B;RHP/TEXAS A&M
    Alex Gonzales: Jr/5-10/180/LF;RHP/BAYLOR
    Bo Hogeboom: Jr/5-11/190/1B;C;RHP/HOUSTON
    Tate Van Poppel: Jr/6-0/200/RHP;1B/Uncommitted

All-American
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by regaleagle View Post
    Here's Argyle's record in baseball dating back to 2010 according to MaxPreps. I'm fairly certain it is correct.....I cross-checked it.
    2010: (23-6)(9-0) District Champ. Lost to Pleasant Grove in Region 2 Finals in 2 games. Pleasant Grove won State
    2011: (22-12-2)(6-1) District Champ. Lost to Pleasant Grove in Region 2 Finals in 3 games. Pleasant Grove lost to Robinson in the State Semifinal game.
    2012: (22-8)(9-1) District Champ. Lost to Prosper in Region 2 Semis in 2 games. Prosper lost to eventual State Champ Pleasant Grove in Region 2 finals.
    2013: (26-4)(8-1) District Champ. Lost to Melissa in Region 2 Semis in 2 games. Melissa lost to Pleasant Grove in Region 2 Final. PG lost to State Champ La Grange in SC Final.
    2014: (32-10)(8-0) District Champ. Defeated Pleasant Grove in Region 2 Semis in 3 games. Defeated Paris N. Lamar in Region 2 Finals in 2 games. Defeated Sinton in State Semifinal. Lost to College Station in State Final.
    2015: (30-7)(10-0) District Champ. Defeated Pleasant Grove in Region 2 Semis in 2 games. Defeated Abilene Wylie in State Semifinal. Defeated W0-S in State Final. State Champ.
    2016: (28-6)(9-1) District Champ. Lost to Pleasant Grove in Region 2 Finals in one-gamer. PG lost to eventual State Champ Abilene Wylie in State Semifinal game.
    2017: (25-3-2-1)(9-1) District Champ. Lost to Pleasant Grove in Region 2 Semis. PG lost to eventual State Champ Abilene Wylie in State Semifinal game. Wylie wins back-back State Championships and goes (69-4) in those two years. Wylie moves up to Class 5A in 2018.
    2018: (37-0)(10-0) District Champ. Defeated PG in Region 2 Semifinal in one gamer. Defeated Kilgore in Region 2 Final in 2 games. Defeated Jasper in State Semifinal. Defeated Sweeny in State Championship game. National #1 ranked team in 4 out of 5 national high school baseball polls at end of season.
    Not counting this 2019 season.....here's the record for the past 9 seasons for Argyle: (245-56-4)(78-5). That's 305 games in 9 seasons/33.88 games per season. Five losses in District play in 9 seasons....winning district every season in different districts and different classifications. That's a 81.4% season winning percentage playing an "up" schedule over a long span of building a baseball program from scratch since 2006. There were good seasons prior to 2010.....I just didn't list them. Every single season has been a winning season since Argyle established its baseball program in 2006.....by at least 5 games per season.

In those first 4 yrs.....Argyle did win district in 2008(9-1). That was its 3rd season as a program in baseball.
    Last edited by regaleagle; 04-25-2019 at 10:34 PM.

All-American
    Blog Entries

Obviously, this 2019 season will only add to these totals and raise the winning percentage. Also another district title this season as well.....10 in the past 10 seasons. Argyle is working toward another State Championship and another National Championship this season from last year's phenomenal undefeated season. It's a fun time to be an Argyllian!! But Woe to the fairweather fan and to all of the Argyle faithful....including the players and coaching staff!! Anything can happen in baseball at anytime to end a great season in its tracks....and quickly!! :
    Last edited by regaleagle; 04-25-2019 at 10:53 PM.

All-American
    Blog Entries

I wish I could capture Pleasant Grove's stats and seasons in the past 10 seasons, but they are not accurately recorded on MaxPreps just like many other schools. I guess the coaching staff or some appointed scorers/boosters are responsible for reporting the results of each game played thru each season. Apparently Argyle has had that situation covered in most of its athletic program thru the years. They don't always report the stats of each game, or every sport.....but at least in baseball, basketball, football, and volleyball for sure. I think they do a good job covering all sports and the Ladies sports now as well.....even in softball, soccer, track, and golf.

All-American
    Blog Entries

In my opinion.....some teams do not report game results, stats, and season records by design.....just to keep that information less available to opponents. I don't believe in this sort of secrecy. If a team needs or wants information about an upcoming opponent, I think they can gain access to it.....one way or another. Some teams don't even list complete rosters.....especially in football.....again by design. Ridiculous in this day and age! I don't think it's fair to the players and team members that devote so much time and effort to those pursuits.....or to the families of those athletes and the fans.
    Last edited by regaleagle; 04-25-2019 at 11:14 PM.

All-American
    Blog Entries

To take this issue a step further.....I believe in this sort of tracking and support for the student athletes and the school as a whole. I think it promotes a positive image for the school, for the student athletes, for the coaches, for the student body and local fanbase. I believe it also instills a positive image for greater participation for those students that may need a little prodding to participate....to give something a "try". A little internal competition is never a bad thing to prepare for life's challenges. Besides.....you just never know who or where a pearl in the natural may be lurking.

All-American
    Blog Entries

In the final analysis.....greater participation by the students in all extra-curricular activities will also improve the athletic programs at the school.....I think this point not debatable. Improved participation levels in all athletic programs will also improve coaching staffs, school support systems, fanbases, and create other positives within the school curriculum for both students and teachers. With this model we can see how important athletic programs can be for overall quality of the high school experience in preparing these students for a better and more successful future after high school.

All-American
    Blog Entries

Meanwhile.....back at the ranch, it's never over until it's over. And when the season does end for a team.....everybody involved still won something and gained something.....even if the team never won a single game. Of course.....that is a rarity but does happen....even in Texas!! Hopefully.....in this kind of scenario those involved still gained from the experience.....even though the wins did not materialize in that year. Or if the wins did not measure up to what those involved felt it should have. Tomorrow is another day and life is not always a walk thru the park. But you can't dispute the validity of the experiences gained and the pursuit of excellence.....or the memories to reflect back on later in life.
    Last edited by regaleagle; 04-26-2019 at 12:08 AM.

All-American
    Blog Entries

BTW.....Argyle did win tonight against Springtown 11-1 in 5 innings. It was Senior Night in Argyle and EVERYBODY played! The game was postponed yesterday for today because of storms. Argyle will end its regular season on Friday against Krum in Krum. Krum in not a krummy team.....they are in 2nd place behind Argyle and defeated Decatur last week. But I do think it was an anomaly for Decatur......they are most definitely a far better team. But it's baseball and anything can happen at anytime!!
    Last edited by regaleagle; 04-26-2019 at 12:31 AM.

All-American
    Blog Entries

I totally expect Decatur to win against Bridgeport tonight and then Springtown on Friday to secure the 2nd place seed in District 8.

Looks like Decatur did win tonight against Bridgeport 14-6.....no big surprise there!

All-American
    Blog Entries

Argyle defeated Krum 9-0 to end its regular season(29-1-1)(8-0). Up next for the Eagles will be the Stephenville Yellowjackets(18-7-1) on Thurs.@ 7:30 at Brook Hill School baseball field. Looks like a best of three series upcoming.....good luck to both teams.

All-American
    Blog Entries

I guess MaxPreps and others had the game location wrong.....it's not Brook Hill but Brock High School baseball field. I was wondering about that....Brook Hill is in Bullard.

All-American
    Blog Entries

Canton won two more this week and ends its regular season undefeated(29-0)(10-0). The Eagles will get an easy draw against the Quinlan Ford Panthers(3-20)(0-9) in the Bidistrict round. Canton went 27-5 last season before losing two to Texarkana Pleasant Grove in the Regional quarterfinals(third round). So they have a very impressive record of 56-5 since the start of the 2018 season. In 2017, Canton went 26-7 ending their season to PG in 2 games in the 3rd Round also. PG won the region that year defeating Argyle in the regional semis in 2 games(Argyle ended up 25-3-1) and then Decatur in the regional finals in 2 games(Decatur went 20-17). They lost to eventual State Champ Abilene Wylie in the State Semifinal.....finishing 35-4. Last season after knocking off Canton in the 3rd Round, PG lost to Argyle in a one-gamer in the regional semifinal(4th round). PG went 25-5 last season.