Page 1 of 47 12311 ... LastLast
    All-American
    Blog Entries

Default Argyle Eagles Baseball

Starting the season out as the Top-ranking team in the nation, the Eagles finally faltered and lost to Southlake Carroll this weekend. Their continuous win streak was broken at 50 straight games......even though they did play to a 4-4 tie early this season in their 5th outing in the Texas Border Olympics Tournament to Corpus Christi Ray.....that game was played in Corpus Christi in inclimate weather. Argyle currently stands at 14-1-1 after going 5-1 this weekend at the Highland Park Tournament against some top teams from the Metroplex. Most likely Argyle will fall from their #1 spot even though they dropped a game to a ranked opponent. Colleyville Heritage stood at #3 nationally this week with Bobby Witt, Jr......perhaps the #1 high school recruit in the nation for the pro draft. Lake Travis had moved up this week to #6.....so I'm not sure how much Argyle will fall in the rankings next week. I'm guessing some, but not much. They have beat some very quality teams all over Texas this early season and have a full schedule of 32 games before any playoff games. That's quite a full schedule to play in such a short time at the high school level.....and the weather so far this early baseball season has been poor and cold. Argyle has 11 Division I commits on their team this season.....kinda unbelievable in baseball. That means some of these commits are not even starting some games. Yep......Argyle is LOADED this season again in baseball.....otherwise they would not have so many wins already and top-ranked nationally among the best regardless of school size.
    Yesterdays are gone forever and tomorrows may never happen, but today you have the opportunity to make a difference.

All-American
    Blog Entries

It's still early in the season.....district games have not even started yet. But I'm gonna go out on a limb and predict we will see Argyle vs Sinton for the State Championship this season......I believe both of these teams are that much above the rest in 4A this season. Abilene Wylie has a good team again, but they are no longer in 4A. Not sure about what Sweeney lost to graduation last year.....but they could give Sinton a run. I'm certain there will be some upsets and some teams moving up as the season progresses.....perhaps Fredericksburg or Robinson will show some late season quality. Texarkana Pleasant Grove is always the toughest team for Argyle to get past.....they are a perennial contender every year it seems and have been to State many times. Still too early for the cream to rise.....but my money is on Argyle to repeat. But anything can happen in the playoffs.

Stephenville has an impressive start and is undefeated so far this season.....could be a showdown with Argyle in Region I. Iowa Park and Levelland are also tough teams coming out of Region I. Region I is fairly loaded with very good baseball teams this season.
    Last edited by regaleagle; 03-10-2019 at 12:54 PM.
    Yesterdays are gone forever and tomorrows may never happen, but today you have the opportunity to make a difference.

All-American
    Blog Entries

But the real surprise team might just be Decatur......in Argyle's district!!! They appear to be very steady with a complete return of starters like Argyle and have not lost a game yet this season. Looks like Argyle will have their work cut out just to win the region. It's never easy to repeat....especially in baseball where so many variables are in play on any given game to advance to the next round. Good luck to everyone this season and may your bats swing freely.

All-American
    Blog Entries

For updates each week you can go to Texas High School Baseball to view each week's results, the standings in each district and region, and to see each team's record throughout the season.

Quote Originally Posted by regaleagle View Post
    It's still early in the season.....district games have not even started yet. But I'm gonna go out on a limb and predict we will see Argyle vs Sinton for the State Championship this season......I believe both of these teams are that much above the rest in 4A this season. Abilene Wylie has a good team again, but they are no longer in 4A. Not sure about what Sweeney lost to graduation last year.....but they could give Sinton a run. I'm certain there will be some upsets and some teams moving up as the season progresses.....perhaps Fredericksburg or Robinson will show some late season quality. Texarkana Pleasant Grove is always the toughest team for Argyle to get past.....they are a perennial contender every year it seems and have been to State many times. Still too early for the cream to rise.....but my money is on Argyle to repeat. But anything can happen in the playoffs.

Stephenville has an impressive start and is undefeated so far this season.....could be a showdown with Argyle in Region I. Iowa Park and Levelland are also tough teams coming out of Region I. Region I is fairly loaded with very good baseball teams this season.
    Sweeny returns just about the same team from last season. Sinton returns 7 all seniors but start 3 very good freshmen one them is highly touted, Rylan Galvan. So far he's hitting .405 with 2 hr's 14 rbi's 8 doubles. On mound he's 1-0 with a save 4 IP 0 R 2 BB 11 SO. One of his AB https://twitter.com/i/status/1104250829954076672

Sinton is not rank which is good flying under the radar.

Argyle and Sweeny early favorites to get to title game.

All-American
    Blog Entries

Guess what??? Sinton ain't "flying under the radar" to teams like Argyle and Sweeny.....LOL. OR Cuero and Wimberley either. Who else down there looks strong this season that could be a surprise, surprise, surprise???

All-American
    Blog Entries

Here's a kinda weird stat that has happened for Argyle in the early going this season.....they have 3 different players on the team that have connected with a grand slam so far. One of them was a walk-off GS against a very good Coppell team in the Highland Park tournament last week in the bottom of the 7th.

All-American
    Blog Entries

Argyle took out #3 Iowa Park(14-2) by a score of 9-2 in Argyle, then defeated a highly ranked 5A Cleburne team 5-4 this week to send their record to (16-1-1) for the season. Argyle has played only one game all season long at home......this week's win against Iowa Park. #2 Canton extended their season winning record to (16-0) with two more wins this week. Stephenville won 2 more this week to go to (13-1-1) on the season defeating Alvarado and a pretty good Kennedale team.
    Last edited by regaleagle; 03-17-2019 at 12:16 AM.

All-American
    Blog Entries

Argyle dropped to #6 in the MaxPreps national rankings last week with their loss to last season's 6A State Champion Southlake Carroll. There is still tons of games left to be played all over the nation and right here in Texas. GO EAGLES!!!

All-American
    Blog Entries

#12 Decatur(15-2) lost to #20 Benbrook(10-1-1), then won against Burkburnett this week. Then Benbrook lost to #3 Iowa Park after winning against Decatur. Looks like we have some action going on in Region I with some very good teams. Benbrook is in Region 2 with Canton, Texarkana Pleasant Grove(11-4) and Longview Spring Hill(11-2). Better look out for Anna(13-1) over in Region 2 this season also.

All-American
    Blog Entries

Argyle still has 14 games scheduled before the regular season ends.....some with 5A and 6A schools. Next week they play 6A Richland and 4A Crandall.

All-American
    Blog Entries

After studying the teams and records more closely on Texas High School Baseball it is obvious that the teams with 7 or more returning starters from a playoff team last season are the ones that are doing the best this season. Let's just say there are few surprises once you delve into last season's record and how many are returning this year. Of course in baseball.....some teams play a more rigorous schedule and more games than other teams. So you have to look at the competition and how many games the teams have played. Seems like the better baseball programs schedule more games with better competition in 4A.....but there are some teams trying to build successful baseball programs by:
    (1) Scheduling more games for the players to get more experience in the regular season
    (2) Scheduling some of those games w/ opponents known to have a good program regardless of classification
    (3) Scheduling some games w/ opponents in 5A, 6A, or Private School classifications.

All-District

Hats off to the Argyles of the world (4a). Its great to see some of the 4a teams really getting after it and trying to produce a quality product on the field. Argyle, Sweeny and the like have shown that quality ball is quality ball, no matter the size of the school. They have shown that they can play with the big boys. There are still lots of 4a schools out there that wish baseball never existed, but hopefully, that number gets smaller each year.

All-American
    Blog Entries

Looks like I left off Kilgore(12-4) in Region 2 as a very competitive team to watch.....they have a very good team with lots of returners from last season's squad that went (27-6) and lost in the Regional Finals. They could most definitely contend for the Region 2 crown and give Longview Spring Hill(12-2-1) a run for the district title. Both teams lost a couple of games very early and have reeled off lots of wins since then. Both teams play a very competitive schedule and both teams have good established programs. But Canton(16-0) is in Region 2 also......and this team is loaded folks, no joke. The Eagles returned 9 starters from last season's (29-5) Regional Quarterfinalist team. That means they played 34 games last season with this same squad and didn't even get to the regional semis.....that's lots of quality baseball folks. They got knocked out by perennial baseball power Texarkana Pleasant Grove in the semis and then Argyle defeated PG(25-5) for the Regional title and eventually went 37-0 and a National Championship last season. Two of PG's losses last season were against Argyle in the Regional Finals.....that's how good they were.
    Last edited by regaleagle; 03-21-2019 at 08:22 AM.

All-American
    Blog Entries

Obviously.....Region 2 was a tough, tough region last season, and will be again this season. But Argyle has been moved to Region I this season, and now it appears Region I will also have some highly ranked teams vying for the regional championship this season. But so will Region 2.....they haven't lost anything except having to play against Argyle for a regional title, LOL. We will see what some of the teams in Regions 3 & 4 bring to the playoff picture once the district schedules unravel. I'm quite certain both Sweeny and Sinton will emerge as serious contenders, but not sure about anybody else in those regions.