Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Macarthur View Post
    I'm kinda late to this thread, but like the exchange. I tend to agree with some of what Saggy is saying. I personally think teachers are underpaid, but not grossly. I actually think the salaries for Football coaches are ridiculous, and I have coaches in my family and played sports in HS and College, so I'm no liberal snowflake. When schools are cutting, not only arts programs, but also core curriculum because they don't have the funds, that means our priorities are out of whack. tens of millions on stadiums and $125k+ coaching salaries are indefensible. Sorry, that's a fact.

And I know that teachers put in lots of hours, but that is a moot point really because, as Saggy points out, lots of folks put in long hours. And the time off thing is a real issue, IMO. I've given back ove r100 hours of PTO each of the last years to my company because I wasn't able to take it so I lost it. To say that you ONLY get 4 weeks off in the summer strikes me as a bit out of touch. I don't get 4 weeks in the summer. I don't get 2 weeks at Christmas and a week in the spring.

Again, I'm not attacking teachers, but I do have some family and friends that are teachers and they do sometimes come across as tone deaf when they post about how excited they are for their break or can't wait etc. Meanwhile, the rest of us get our ass up and go to work again.
    Again..coaches who make 125K are ADs..that is admin position. The principals and Supt are making as much if not more if an AD is getting that much.
    Sideline To Sideline Show Each Week at https://lonestargridiron.com/categor...-to-sideline//

Starter

I absolutely refuse to fault a person based on his or her check stub. Good on you for getting what you get for an honest day of work, whatever your profession.

That's why tons of Okies are here instead of there.
    24 down ... 24 to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Txbroadcaster View Post
    Again..coaches who make 125K are ADs..that is admin position. The principals and Supt are making as much if not more if an AD is getting that much.
    I understand this point. It still doesn't change my opinion. By just saying 'it's an admin position' doesn't magically make it okay then...Principals and supt should make more. Years ago I remember when these coaching salaries started going up, many districts had to give major raises to principals and supt because coaches couldn't make more than those positions. That's wrong . I fault no one for making what they can. I'm simply saying that our priorities are out of whack when we are cutting curriculum all over the place, yet coaches and admin salaries have skyrocketed over the last 10 to 20 years and we're spending $60 million+ on stadiums.
    Judge a man by his questions rather than by his answers.

-Voltaire

There's another even larger picture here. Real wages in this country have barely moved in a couple of decades. When average tax payers wages have been stagnant and coaches and school admin salaries have skyrocketed in the last two decades, it's clear we have our priorities off.

https://www.texastribune.org/2017/12...e-budget-cuts/

https://www.forbes.com/sites/adamand.../#4d84568d10ae

https://texasmonitor.org/austin-isd-...salaries-rise/

-Voltaire

All-American

I understand this point. It still doesn't change my opinion. By just saying 'it's an admin position' doesn't magically make it okay then...Principals and supt should make more. Years ago I remember when these coaching salaries started going up, many districts had to give major raises to principals and supt because coaches couldn't make more than those positions. That's wrong . I fault no one for making what they can. I'm simply saying that our priorities are out of whack when we are cutting curriculum all over the place, yet coaches and admin salaries have skyrocketed over the last 10 to 20 years and we're spending $60 million+ on stadiums.
    Money for stadiums has absolutely zero to do with teacher salaries, curriculum budgets etc...two totally different pots of money based on Texas school finance law.....I have no problem with a head football coach who is also an AD making an administrator salary....they do a lot of work behind the scenes that the average layperson doesn't know about.....now if we want to say all admin salaries in public schools are bloated...you might be onto something, but compared with other admin positions in most school districts, football coaches are in line...

All-District

Quote Originally Posted by speedbump View Post
    Priorities in this country are a joke. Coaches making twice as much as teachers proves it beyond doubt.
    coach Surratt has made the school enough money every year since he has been at Carthage to pay his salary and many more.
    My wife was a teacher for 30 years, the last 18 as director of Technology. the last 18 years she got two weeks vacation and school holidays.
    I know a little about what teachers go through and it is a tough job.
    2080 hours is what most people work excluding overtime in a calendar year. Most teachers do not work 2080 hours in a calendar year.

Practice Squad

Bottom line is Im not sure $125,000 is worth doing that job. Always under a microscope, people in the community treating you like **** because you didnt win a game or had to make an unpopular decision, people telling your kids in school that they are gunna have to leave there home because "my daddy is gunna get your dad fired." Heck no! Im out on that and those things happen way more than people like to admit. Although the Coaching profession can be very rewarding it also can consume a life and be very cruel.

Quote Originally Posted by cowboyandchrist View Post
    coach Surratt has made the school enough money every year since he has been at Carthage to pay his salary and many more.
    My wife was a teacher for 30 years, the last 18 as director of Technology. the last 18 years she got two weeks vacation and school holidays.
    I know a little about what teachers go through and it is a tough job.
    2080 hours is what most people work excluding overtime in a calendar year. Most teachers do not work 2080 hours in a calendar year.
    How had the football coach made the school money?

-Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew328 View Post
    Money for stadiums has absolutely zero to do with teacher salaries, curriculum budgets etc...two totally different pots of money based on Texas school finance law.....I have no problem with a head football coach who is also an AD making an administrator salary....they do a lot of work behind the scenes that the average layperson doesn't know about.....now if we want to say all admin salaries in public schools are bloated...you might be onto something, but compared with other admin positions in most school districts, football coaches are in line...
    While your point here may technically correct, it still points to priorities. Schools are cutting programming all over the place and still building multi-million $ stadiums. The point that these come from diff pots of money is irrelevant given that there is a finite amount of money.

I remember the stories of when my old school build a new stadium in 1969. They used the tradesmen in the community and they donated time. My grandfather was a plumber and did all the plumbing work for the stadium. I realize times change, but make no mistake, it's become about the all mighty dollar.

-Voltaire

All-American

How had the football coach made the school money?
    Schools take home checks from playoff games for the gate...typically football playoff games do generate the schools money and as the rounds progress those checks do increase into mid-five figures....I know after expenses were paid schools will clear a nice chunk of change from the state title games....

All-American

While your point here may technically correct, it still points to priorities. Schools are cutting programming all over the place and still building multi-million $ stadiums. The point that these come from diff pots of money is irrelevant given that there is a finite amount of money.

I remember the stories of when my old school build a new stadium in 1969. They used the tradesmen in the community and they donated time. My grandfather was a plumber and did all the plumbing work for the stadium. I realize times change, but make no mistake, it's become about the all mighty dollar.

In the state of Texas we allow individual communities to determine their destiny...those communities when voting for bonds should make their voices heard in regards to bonds and vote those construction bonds down and demand accountability from their administrators regarding educational programs being cut...

I am interested to hear which school districts are building multi-million dollar stadiums while also cutting educational programs....if you dont mind could you share some examples?? I would definitely like to look into those situations to get some more color behind that

All-District

Playoff game attendance that’s how.
    6 state championships and 9 semi final in 12 years. Carthage travels very well.

All-American

Quote Originally Posted by cowboyandchrist View Post
    Playoff game attendance that’s how.
    6 state championships and 9 semi final in 12 years. Carthage travels very well.
    Always comes back to the almighty dollar doesn't it. Over 100 grand to teach children to play. lol People will try to defend anything as long as they can make it about money. It's the American way.

Stink on stink , low man wins = Ricebird football.

All-American

Quote Originally Posted by speedbump View Post
    Always comes back to the almighty dollar doesn't it. Over 100 grand to teach children to play. lol People will try to defend anything as long as they can make it about money. It's the American way.
    I can assure you football coach who is also an athletic director does much more than just teach children "to play"

All-American

A General job description for an athletic director in a Texas public school district

Program Planning
    1. Direct and manage district’s athletic program and facilities
    2. Establish physical and academic eligibility requirements for participation in each sport, and verify
    each athlete’s eligibility.
    3. Maintain an active program that promotes good sportsmanship and student development.
    4. Obtain and use evaluative findings (including student achievement data) to gauge athletic program
    effectiveness and ensure that program renewal is continuous and responsive to student needs.
    5. Plan necessary time, resources, and materials to support accomplishment of department goals.
    Athletic Events
    6. Prepare and approve all interscholastic game schedules.
    7. Arrange transportation, lodging, and meals for out-of-town athletic events.
    8. Manage district athletic operations by directing ticket sales, employing game officials, and ensuring
    preparation of facilities.
    9. Oversee process of cleaning, repairing, and storing all athletic equipment.
    10. Coordinate the use of all athletic facilities by nonschool groups.
    11. Plan, organize, and supervise all athletic awards programs.

Student Management
    12. Implement district student management policies, communicate expected student behavior related to
    athletics, and ensure enforcement of student discipline in accordance with Student Code of Conduct
    and student handbook.
    13. Establish and maintain open lines of communication by conducting conferences on vital issues with
    parents, students, and teachers.

Policy, Reports, and Law
    14. Implement the policies established by federal law, state law, State Board of Education rule, UIL rules,
    and local board policy in area of athletics.
    15. Compile, maintain, file and present all physical and computerized reports, records, and other
    documents required.

Budget and Inventory
    16. Administer the athletic budget and ensure that programs are cost effective and that funds are managed
    prudently.
    17. Compile budgets and cost estimates based on documented program needs.
    18. Initiate purchase orders and bids in accordance with budgetary limitations and district policies.
    19. Maintain a current inventory of supplies and equipment and recommend disposal and replacement of
    equipment when necessary.
    20. Approve and forward purchase orders for athletic department to accounting department.

Personnel Management
    21. Prepare, review, and revise job descriptions for athletic department.
    22. Recruit, select, train, and supervise all athletic department personnel and make sound
    recommendations about personnel placement, assignments, retention, discipline, and dismissal.
    23. Evaluate job performance of employees to ensure effectiveness.
    24. Develop training options and/or improvement plans for employees to ensure exemplary operation in
    area of athletics.

Community Relations
    25. Articulate the district’s mission and goals in the area of athletics to community and solicit its support
    in realizing mission.
    26. Demonstrate awareness of district and community needs and initiate activities to meet those needs.
    27. Use appropriate and effective techniques to encourage community and parent involvement.
    28. Support athletic booster club activities.

Supervisory Responsibilities:
    Supervise and evaluate the performance of coaches and support staff

Working Conditions:
    Mental Demands/Physical Demands/Environmental Factors:
    Maintain emotional control under stress. Frequent district and statewide travel; occasional prolonged
    and irregular hours.

This is in addition to coaching the football team and serving as administrator on duty at many sporting events outside of football..