Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by lostaussie View Post
    OH MY JEEZ. I started trying to read through all this and just gave up.
    .....I'm late to this party....but how bout just a good ol' Cam limerick?......

Letterman

Quote Originally Posted by Saggy Aggie View Post
    I said quite the opposite as a matter of fact. See above.

I just told you to look at the salary on an actual hours worked standpoint. Teachers aren’t the only ones who put in long hours day to day.

50,000$ over 9 months is the equivalent of 66,666$ over 12 months....
    9 months is a myth. Teachers (and especially coaches who teach) get about 4 weeks off during the summer if they're lucky and work for a good school district. Summer training, workshops, exchange days, comp days, etc have almost eaten away the "time off" you claim they get during the summer. Its a 12 month job now. Just because the kids aren't in school doesn't mean the teachers are just as free as they are....

You don't know what you're talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by Bug Truck View Post
    I’m married to a teacher of 25 plus years teaching. Who did not choose her career field because of all that time off. Or a lack of intelligence to do something else. That time off is spent going to TEA mandatory curriculum seminars plus getting ready for the next year. And believe me with what they have to put up with today and the future it’s only going to get tougher.
    The landscape in college was different 25+ years ago.

The reality is nowadays teaching is considered a fallback option for tons of students in college. It’s unfortunate and I wish that weren’t the case. Of course that’s not everyone, not even the majority of teachers. But it floods the market, keeping pressure on wages for those who are in it for the right reasons and do a good job.

I would love for the quality teachers that we have to be paid accordingly, and in some places they are. We have teachers in KISD fresh out school that are making 55-60k. That’s nearly a starting engineering salary.

No degree or job is worth pursuing if you don’t do it the right way. I wouldn’t be taking a bottom tier HISD teaching job if I were a teacher.
    Last edited by Saggy Aggie; 12-08-2018 at 06:09 PM.

All-American

Especially in the lower classification schools

All-American

Priorities in this country are a joke. Coaches making twice as much as teachers proves it beyond doubt.

Stink on stink , low man wins = Ricebird football.

All-District

Quote Originally Posted by speedbump View Post
    Priorities in this country are a joke. Coaches making twice as much as teachers proves it beyond doubt.
    coach Surratt has made the school enough money every year since he has been at Carthage to pay his salary and many more.
    My wife was a teacher for 30 years, the last 18 as director of Technology. the last 18 years she got two weeks vacation and school holidays.
    I know a little about what teachers go through and it is a tough job.
    2080 hours is what most people work excluding overtime in a calendar year. Most teachers do not work 2080 hours in a calendar year.

Practice Squad

Bottom line is Im not sure $125,000 is worth doing that job. Always under a microscope, people in the community treating you like **** because you didnt win a game or had to make an unpopular decision, people telling your kids in school that they are gunna have to leave there home because "my daddy is gunna get your dad fired." Heck no! Im out on that and those things happen way more than people like to admit. Although the Coaching profession can be very rewarding it also can consume a life and be very cruel.

Quote Originally Posted by cowboyandchrist View Post
    coach Surratt has made the school enough money every year since he has been at Carthage to pay his salary and many more.
    My wife was a teacher for 30 years, the last 18 as director of Technology. the last 18 years she got two weeks vacation and school holidays.
    I know a little about what teachers go through and it is a tough job.
    2080 hours is what most people work excluding overtime in a calendar year. Most teachers do not work 2080 hours in a calendar year.
    How had the football coach made the school money?
    Judge a man by his questions rather than by his answers.

-Voltaire

Practice Squad

What is the proper salary for the ones charged with the education of our future. It’s not what the average teacher is paid now or even close. I know lots of Professional educators that work second jobs to make ends meet. And the choices 25 years ago are no different than now. You don’t pick a career choice based on failure.

Administrator/Owner LH Panther Mom's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Saggy Aggie View Post

The reality is nowadays teaching is considered a fallback option for tons of students in college. It’s unfortunate and I wish that weren’t the case. Of course that’s not everyone, not even the majority of teachers. But it floods the market, keeping pressure on wages for those who are in it for the right reasons and do a good job.
    And that is a huge problem! Can't cut it in engineering or pre-med or accounting? Switch and become a teacher. The best are the ones that actually want to teach...not those that do it as a fall back.
    Quick side! Strong side! Crank up the Machine!

All-American

I think the salary is what the market demands. Its not the coach's or AD problem.

I had a friend that was coach/AD in a small desolate West Texas town almost 30 years ago. While visiting one summer we marveled at his then teaching salary of almost 60 thousand dollars! He laughed and said he loved it...followed by...and they let me teach a class, drive a school bus , and come back to empty the trash.

While I sort of agree that the discrepancy is outrageous in some cases, the athletic director is not a normal teaching position. There’s 50+ teachers in every school and 1 AD. Your average history teacher doesn’t have nearly the responsibilities the AD does.

Practice Squad

Saggy you just keep digging a deeper hole

All-District

I challenge you to spend one year as a teacher (if you are qualified) and then come back and tell us how easy teachers have it.

All-District

How much should a top notch coach make? I was raised on a teachers salary. Nothing but respect for what they do. But what salaries would you have our teachers making. You will probably be the same one voting no if they tried to raise your taxes to increase teacher salaries.