Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
    All-American

Yep. it takes a lot to organize quality play time. Bottom line is simply that athletics aren't even close to the most important subject at a school. Sport is a cash cow for a lot of people and sadly it's trickling down further and further. The greed heads will soon be trying to sign seven year olds and they will be defended the same way. Sad

Stink on stink , low man wins = Ricebird football.

All-American

Quote Originally Posted by speedbump View Post
    Yep. it takes a lot to organize quality play time. Bottom line is simply that athletics aren't even close to the most important subject at a school. Sport is a cash cow for a lot of people and sadly it's trickling down further and further. The greed heads will soon be trying to sign seven year olds and they will be defended the same way. Sad
    Guess we'll agree to disagree

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew328 View Post
    Schools take home checks from playoff games for the gate...typically football playoff games do generate the schools money and as the rounds progress those checks do increase into mid-five figures....I know after expenses were paid schools will clear a nice chunk of change from the state title games....
    https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/hig...he-dallas-area

This article is a few years old, but basically there are 3 schools in this sample that actually 'made' money for their school.

Look at some of the negative numbers on here. It's staggering. If anything, with salaries where they are now, this gap has probably widened. Frankly, this thread actually made me dig more deeply into this and it's actually worse than I thought. Keep in mind, even these schools that actually did 'make money' are giants. You telling me the other 700+ high school teams in Texas are making money?

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/texas-s...ball-stadiums/

Ross Kecseg with the Austin-based fiscal watchdog group Empower Texans calls the money being spent on high school stadiums "excessive." The larger problem, he says, is school officials who combine outsize expenditures in one large bond package, leaving voters with no option to approve or reject one project over another. New school construction, building renovations, requests for more buses and other needs may be wrapped into a single request.

"When they put these propositions on the ballot, they put a whole lot of other things with them," Kecseg said. "By law they're allowed to separate the different requests ... but they lump them all together in an all-or-nothing proposition."

The above points out one of the major issues.

– Richardson ISD taxpayers asked for an opportunity to vote for two bonds: One covering necessary expenditures such as facility updates and additional classrooms (with no tax increase); The other for luxury items: $60 million for 4 indoor football practice fields, one at each high school, and $17 million for “library renovation” at every school. The taxpayers’ request for two bonds was rejected, as the district adopted an “all-or-nothing” approach that appears to be the prevailing bond strategy by districts across the state of Texas.
    https://texasscorecard.com/commentar...otball-fields/

I could post numerous examples of this. We clearly have our priorities out of whack.

https://www.texastribune.org/2017/06...prepare-worst/

This issue is never more relevant than in the small towns struggling to meet a budget.

"We don't have football because of costs. We don't have ag because of costs. We don't have band because of costs," said Superintendent O.K. Wolfenbarger III.

He plans to keep cutting back on supplies, using less copy paper, finding cheaper deals on utilities and not rehiring support staff.

"If I start cutting teacher positions ... I've got kids that are going to be in danger of not having the courses they need to graduate," he said.

How can you read this and think we don't have a real problem?
    Last edited by Macarthur; 01-08-2019 at 11:27 AM.
    Judge a man by his questions rather than by his answers.

-Voltaire

Junior Varsity

Well this thread got personal for quite a few very quickly. That being said I Totally agree with Saggy. As a younger person, (almost definitely younger than the majority here) I can say I did and do recognize the different tiers of difficulty in varying college degrees... education is not at the top lol... furthermore, the level of difficulty and intensiveness that a job requires does not equate to how much that job pays... compensation is based solely on supply and demand. Teaching certificates are relatively easy to obtain => there will be too many teachers. => teaching wages will remain relatively low... taxes have nothing to do with the compensation, and are not a solution. The only solution is to make it harder to become a teacher.

Quote Originally Posted by SaltySixes View Post
    Well this thread got personal for quite a few very quickly. That being said I Totally agree with Saggy. As a younger person, (almost definitely younger than the majority here) I can say I did and do recognize the different tiers of difficulty in varying college degrees... education is not at the top lol... furthermore, the level of difficulty and intensiveness that a job requires does not equate to how much that job pays... compensation is based solely on supply and demand. Teaching certificates are relatively easy to obtain => there will be too many teachers. => teaching wages will remain relatively low... taxes have nothing to do with the compensation, and are not a solution. The only solution is to make it harder to become a teacher.
    Did we just become friends? Hahaha

It has always been the yutes have all the answers.
    The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have..... Vince Lombardi

Junior Varsity

Quote Originally Posted by Tejastrue View Post
    It has always been the yutes have all the answers.
    Hello to you tejas. Do you gave an opinion?

Quote Originally Posted by SaltySixes View Post
    Hello to you tejas. Do you gave an opinion?
    Of course he does..... but it’s much easier to just sit back and take shots at people

Junior Varsity

Quote Originally Posted by Saggy Aggie View Post
    Of course he does..... but it’s much easier to just sit back and take shots at people
    Especially at the, “yutes.” It just reaffirms what everyone thinks of the downlow... the retirement home of TXHSFB forums. It’s a good thing they all have such generous teachers pension plans...

I'll steal a word from something Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson recently said. Snowflakes! My comment said "always been." Come on Saggy, let's talk about shot taking. lol Salty, retirement home, that's funny. I have been on this site going on 9 years now. It has been a release for me. Greatly enjoy the football banter. The crazy road trip stories. The off the wall subjects. Even the sharing of heart felt struggles that life brings each and every day including death. Call this site what you want but there are good people here. Very good people. You don't get that at any other venue. So sorry they don't allow the smut driven trash talk of some other sites. Frankly, I can appreciate that.
    Just a side note. I work for a school district. I have family in the teaching profession. I know a little bit about what it entails.

Junior Varsity

I'll steal a word from something Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson recently said. Snowflakes! My comment said "always been." Come on Saggy, let's talk about shot taking. lol Salty, retirement home, that's funny. I have been on this site going on 9 years now. It has been a release for me. Greatly enjoy the football banter. The crazy road trip stories. The off the wall subjects. Even the sharing of heart felt struggles that life brings each and every day including death. Call this site what you want but there are good people here. Very good people. You don't get that at any other venue. So sorry they don't allow the smut driven trash talk of some other sites. Frankly, I can appreciate that.
    Just a side note. I work for a school district. I have family in the teaching profession. I know a little bit about what it entails.
    It's obvious that many of the people on this forum have some sort of connection to their school...hints the reason that so many very good people made snarky remarks. Anyway, "snowflakes," makes no sense. Explain what you think you know about two strangers that gave you that special insight haha...

Good lord. Look it up. People are looking for reasons to be offended. He called this the snowflake generation. Just thought it was fitting for the moment. Lol

Junior Varsity

Good lord. Look it up. People are looking for reasons to be offended. He called this the snowflake generation. Just thought it was fitting for the moment. Lol
    Good lord... disagree with tejas=snowflake

You know every generation ever has said the same about the following one right? (I'm aware you will disagree with that, but it's a fact)

It was exactly my comment to start. What did we ever disagree about?

2013, 2015, 2016 3ADL FF Champ jason's Avatar

Stephenville just signed their new HC to a two year $105k per year deal.

https://www.yourstephenvilletx.com/s...-two-year-deal