Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by speedbump View Post
    Priorities in this country are a joke. Coaches making twice as much as teachers proves it beyond doubt.
    While I sort of agree that the discrepancy is outrageous in some cases, the athletic director is not a normal teaching position. There’s 50+ teachers in every school and 1 AD. Your average history teacher doesn’t have nearly the responsibilities the AD does.

All-District

Quote Originally Posted by speedbump View Post
    Priorities in this country are a joke. Coaches making twice as much as teachers proves it beyond doubt.
    How much should a top notch coach make? I was raised on a teachers salary. Nothing but respect for what they do. But what salaries would you have our teachers making. You will probably be the same one voting no if they tried to raise your taxes to increase teacher salaries.

Practice Squad

Saggy you just keep digging a deeper hole

All-District

And it’s only the HC/AD making that type of money. All the other coaches are making pretty much teacher wages. What should we pay our school administrators? Should they not make twice what a team we makes? Does a manager make twice what a laborer makes? Yea I think so. Same principle.

Quote Originally Posted by Bug Truck View Post
    What is the proper salary for the ones charged with the education of our future. It’s not what the average teacher is paid now or even close. I know lots of Professional educators that work second jobs to make ends meet. And the choices 25 years ago are no different than now. You don’t pick a career choice based on failure.
    Tons of people do pick careers based on failure.....

I’m sorry you don’t believe it, but Texas A&M has something like 80% dropout rate of their engineering program. Those students end up somewhere.... business school, teaching, polisci, sports therapy, nursing, etc. The same is true for med school, law school, etc...

I don’t know what the right number is. It depends on roles, responsibilities, talent, location, class size, and the teaching market mostly.

All-District

Saggy you just keep digging a deeper hole
    Should we raise taxes to increase teachers salaries? I’m all for that. I have absolutely zero problem paying a higher property tax to give teachers a higher salary. But I know I’m in the miniority. Would be no problem for me to pay a extra hundred bucks a month tax if everybody would agree to the same %. Then we could pay our teachers closer to 6 figures.

Letterman

In the dfw teachers get paid well but most teachers have worked other jobs so they can compare.

Quote Originally Posted by Dawgs View Post
    Should we raise taxes to increase teachers salaries? I’m all for that. I have absolutely zero problem paying a higher property tax to give teachers a higher salary. But I know I’m in the miniority. Would be no problem for me to pay a extra hundred bucks a month tax if everybody would agree to the same %. Then we could pay our teachers closer to 6 figures.
    LOL, I guarantee I’m the only one on this thread that has put my money where my mouth is. I voluntarily chose to live in Katy where we pay 1.5% on top (nearly half of my entire tax rate) directly to the district. That equates to over $5000 a year for me that I’m voluntarily giving to the schools.

I did that so my son could go to Katy ISD, one of the best districts in the state and by far the best in the Houston area. The athletics and education are better, and so are the teaching salaries coincidently...

Practice Squad

Quote Originally Posted by Dawgs View Post
    Should we raise taxes to increase teachers salaries? I’m all for that. I have absolutely zero problem paying a higher property tax to give teachers a higher salary. But I know I’m in the miniority. Would be no problem for me Eli’s to pay a extra hundred bucks a month tax if everybody would agree to the same %. Then we could pay our teachers closer to 6 figures.
    That’s kinda helps Saggy’s point then all the wealthy engineers. That made through the tough program fight their higher property taxes. By hiring the high priced Tax attorneys that couldn’t make it through engineering school.

That’s kinda helps Saggy’s point then all the wealthy engineers. That made through the tough program fight their higher property taxes. By hiring the high priced Tax attorneys that couldn’t make it through engineering school.
    Lol I love how everyone resorts to these kinds of remarks.

I’m all for a healthy debate. This forum could use some life anyways

Practice Squad

It is refreshing nothing against engineers or Aggies. My son in law is an aerospace engineer

Practice Squad

I don’t post very often here. Usually on High School Sports Network instead. Good luck with your stance on this Saggy

Administrator/Owner LH Panther Mom's Avatar

Both my parents were teachers and my dad was also a coach. Two of our four boys are teachers/coaches. My maternal grandparents were teachers and one of my aunts. All of them went to school with the intention of teaching. Every holiday off? Not so much! Many times it's either a mandatory work day or a learning center meeting day. For my job, normal work day is 8-5 with OT over 40. For coaches, during season, the day may start at 7 or before and not end until 8. And then there's classroom prep. Many teachers work a 12-month allotment of hours in 10-months. So when they get that 2 months off, they have earned it!

I grew up thinking everyone ate supper at 7:30 or after. Not so much lol.
    Quick side! Strong side! Crank up the Machine!

Practice Squad

My wife and I are both teachers. This is what we both went to college for. I actually do not have a problem with what we make. We cannot afford the best of everything but at the same time can provide for our kids. Would it be nice to earn a little more, of course, but I did not go into this profession to get rich. I take exception to the thought that we only work 9 months and such( I actually teach summer school in my district). I understand people who work other jobs have long hours also, doesn't mean teachers cannot want for more. I am originally from the north, up there the only folks who get more grief than the teachers are LEO's(whom I have tremendous respect for).

Cannot compare a teacher's salary to an AD...an AD is an admin position. Compare them to what Supt and Principals make and they are usually right in line with those in their respective ISDs

Coaches, do not get paid to coach. They get paid to teach and are thrown a little stipend for the coaching part. a Coach making 45K to coach...is really making 40K to teach and 5K to coach. They get paid along the same lines as teachers in their ISDs.
    Sideline To Sideline Show Each Week at https://lonestargridiron.com/categor...-to-sideline//