Quote Originally Posted by Macarthur View Post
I'm kinda late to this thread, but like the exchange. I tend to agree with some of what Saggy is saying. I personally think teachers are underpaid, but not grossly. I actually think the salaries for Football coaches are ridiculous, and I have coaches in my family and played sports in HS and College, so I'm no liberal snowflake. When schools are cutting, not only arts programs, but also core curriculum because they don't have the funds, that means our priorities are out of whack. tens of millions on stadiums and $125k+ coaching salaries are indefensible. Sorry, that's a fact.

And I know that teachers put in lots of hours, but that is a moot point really because, as Saggy points out, lots of folks put in long hours. And the time off thing is a real issue, IMO. I've given back ove r100 hours of PTO each of the last years to my company because I wasn't able to take it so I lost it. To say that you ONLY get 4 weeks off in the summer strikes me as a bit out of touch. I don't get 4 weeks in the summer. I don't get 2 weeks at Christmas and a week in the spring.

Again, I'm not attacking teachers, but I do have some family and friends that are teachers and they do sometimes come across as tone deaf when they post about how excited they are for their break or can't wait etc. Meanwhile, the rest of us get our ass up and go to work again.
Again..coaches who make 125K are ADs..that is admin position. The principals and Supt are making as much if not more if an AD is getting that much.