Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by speedbump View Post
    .............. at any rate,many if not most coaches,are over paid regardless of the type of contract or what teachers make.
    You do realize that most coaches are teachers?

All-American

Quote Originally Posted by oldtownag View Post
    You do realize that most coaches are teachers?
    Yep, but I'm from the old school.

Stink on stink , low man wins = Ricebird football.

All-American

And the coaches in smaller enrollment school (A-3A) even more coaches are teachers

Letterman

Quote Originally Posted by Saggy Aggie View Post
    I said quite the opposite as a matter of fact. See above.

I just told you to look at the salary on an actual hours worked standpoint. Teachers aren’t the only ones who put in long hours day to day.

50,000$ over 9 months is the equivalent of 66,666$ over 12 months....
    9 months is a myth. Teachers (and especially coaches who teach) get about 4 weeks off during the summer if they're lucky and work for a good school district. Summer training, workshops, exchange days, comp days, etc have almost eaten away the "time off" you claim they get during the summer. Its a 12 month job now. Just because the kids aren't in school doesn't mean the teachers are just as free as they are....

You don't know what you're talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by Crow22 View Post
    9 months is a myth. Teachers (and especially coaches who teach) get about 4 weeks off during the summer if they're lucky and work for a good school district. Summer training, workshops, exchange days, comp days, etc have almost eaten away the "time off" you claim they get during the summer. Its a 12 month job now. Just because the kids aren't in school doesn't mean the teachers are just as free as they are....

You don't know what you're talking about.
    Do you get paid extra for those trainings, workshops, etc.....?

Regardless, you get at least 4 weeks in summer. Roughly 4 weeks in holidays.... regular vacation time....

Anyway you slice it, that’s still an extra 7-8 weeks at minimum, LOL

Administrator/Owner LH Panther Mom's Avatar

Unless someone is an AD in the big schools, they're not making anywhere close to this. Teachers get state mandated + whatever over, if any, the district pays. Coaches get a stipend/sport above that. And it is pittance to the hours. Whoever said click bait was right!
    Quick side! Strong side! Crank up the Machine!

All-District

I challenge you to spend one year as a teacher (if you are qualified) and then come back and tell us how easy teachers have it.

Letterman

Do you get paid extra for those trainings, workshops, etc.....?

Regardless, you get at least 4 weeks in summer. Roughly 4 weeks in holidays.... regular vacation time....

Anyway you slice it, that’s still an extra 7-8 weeks at minimum, LOL
    No, we don't get paid extra for those trainings/workshops/etc. I'm a teacher and a coach. Been doing it for 22 years. I love it. However, there is a HUGE misunderstanding of all the "free time" teachers, and especially coaches, get during the year. I've been an AD as well and I can tell you that there's no comparison as to the amount of hours and responsibilities between an AD and a teacher. The AD is, and should be, paid like an administrator.

So I'm all for raising the pay for teachers and more specifically, teachers who coach. And saying that teachers only work 9 months a year is absurd, false, and misinformed.

Practice Squad

Again, I’m not a teacher so my perspective is probably skewed... but my best friend is a teacher and he gets his summers off mostly. Sure there is a week or so that he has things he needs to do, but he again gets paid extra to attend those conferences. If he chooses to work the summer, he gets paid. Maybe that’s not the case for all of you.

Maybe you’re not off the full 3 months, but there is substantial time off.

Your regularly scheduled hours are no different than the rest of us who put in extra time every week. I find it very disingenuous for you all to pretend like you work long hours every single week.

Somebody else on this thread just tried to tell me their wife worked until 10pm 5 days in a row and then on Saturday. That may be the case once, but that’s not every week. We’ve ALL had weeks like that, if not worse.

I worked 56 hours just last week, and then worked 4 hours Saturday and 6 hours Sunday, and I got into the office at 4:30am this morning - granted I have a big deliverable this week. That’s not every week.

I have worked 112 hour work weeks offshore before and plenty of 80+ hour weeks offshore and in Louisiana. I have worked until 2 am to submit deliverables. To me the “12 months worth of work in 9 months” is BS.

Sorry, maybe it’s just me but I have 0 sympathy for crying about working long hours. Apparently no one else works long hours at work. Maybe the rest of the world works 8-5 M-F

I know it is futile for me to be arguing with you about this. So just a couple more things and I'll be done with this conversation.

1. No, I do not get paid to attend trainings or workshops during the summer. (That may just be the district I'm in though).

2. I get to work at 6:30 every morning, and don't leave until after 5. No it's not your 112 hours a week, but it also is not typical bankers hours either. And I am not coaching anymore, so this is a breeze compared to what it used to be. LOL.

3. I work doing something on most Saturdays and Sundays, although I am not physically at school.

4. With all due respect, I couldn't care less about your sympathy, as I am not asking for it. I am just stating a fact that most people don't know what being a "good" teacher entails.

5. Finally, as I have stated before, I knew what I was getting into 18 years ago, and I feel that I am where I belong. If that comes with a lower than normal salary, then so be it. It is what I signed up for.

Not trying to be a jerk, just wanted to put my side of it out there. Thanks for the good discussion Saggy Aggie.

Quote Originally Posted by Crow22 View Post
    No, we don't get paid extra for those trainings/workshops/etc. I'm a teacher and a coach. Been doing it for 22 years. I love it. However, there is a HUGE misunderstanding of all the "free time" teachers, and especially coaches, get during the year. I've been an AD as well and I can tell you that there's no comparison as to the amount of hours and responsibilities between an AD and a teacher. The AD is, and should be, paid like an administrator.

So I'm all for raising the pay for teachers and more specifically, teachers who coach. And saying that teachers only work 9 months a year is absurd, false, and misinformed.
    Thank you for what you do. I had no idea what teachers endured until I married one. People who say what Saggy is saying don't have a clue what teachers and/or coaches do, how many hours they put in, days they work, etc. And, NO, teachers don't get "extra" pay for the continuing education and seminars unless it requires an overnight stay. Then, it's only for the motel room, meals, and mileage just like any other job. Most teachers choose to have their annual salary spread out over 12 months, and only get paid once a month. Your last paragraph says it all.
    "Kaizen"

".......offense wins games, but DEFENSE wins championships!"

P.R.I.D.E.

Gilmer Buckeyes -State Champions:

2004 3A - Division II
    2009 3A - Division I
    2014 4A - Division II
    2023 4A - Division II

Quote Originally Posted by panther89 View Post
    I know it is futile for me to be arguing with you about this. So just a couple more things and I'll be done with this conversation.

1. No, I do not get paid to attend trainings or workshops during the summer. (That may just be the district I'm in though).

2. I get to work at 6:30 every morning, and don't leave until after 5. No it's not your 112 hours a week, but it also is not typical bankers hours either. And I am not coaching anymore, so this is a breeze compared to what it used to be. LOL.

3. I work doing something on most Saturdays and Sundays, although I am not physically at school.

4. With all due respect, I couldn't care less about your sympathy, as I am not asking for it. I am just stating a fact that most people don't know what being a "good" teacher entails.

5. Finally, as I have stated before, I knew what I was getting into 18 years ago, and I feel that I am where I belong. If that comes with a lower than normal salary, then so be it. It is what I signed up for.

Not trying to be a jerk, just wanted to put my side of it out there. Thanks for the good discussion Saggy Aggie.
    Thank you for what you do, panther89. It takes a special type of person to be a teacher, just like being a cop or firefighter.
    "Kaizen"

".......offense wins games, but DEFENSE wins championships!"

P.R.I.D.E.

Gilmer Buckeyes -State Champions:

2004 3A - Division II
    2009 3A - Division I
    2014 4A - Division II
    2023 4A - Division II

Practice Squad

Quote Originally Posted by waterboy View Post
    Thank you for what you do, panther89. It takes a special type of person to be a teacher, just like being a cop or firefighter.
    Thank you waterboy. I appreciate it. I could not do the jobs our law enforcement or firefighters do. They are the really special people.

All-District

It is really bad when someone who has no clue tries to tell you how easy teachers have it. I strongly suspect that this guy wouldn't last two days in a classroom

Lol I didn’t know I was going to get so many buttburt teachers on this thread. Excellent

Please point to where I said teachers have it easy. Please....

I simply said let’s not pretend like teachers are GROSSLY underpaid.... grossly being the key word. I said look at the pay on an actual hours worked standpoint. I said teachers aren’t the only ones who work long hours.

People keep putting words in my mouth and not addressing what I’m actually saying. It’s fine if you disagree, but try quoting something I actually wrote
    Last edited by Saggy Aggie; 12-12-2018 at 08:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by panther89 View Post

Appreciate a real response. I have tried to stay cordial with a lot of folks attacking me for my opinion. I knew it wouldn’t be a popular opinion but that’s fine.