Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    All-American

Default 26 of 32 coaches from Texas in playoffs earn more than $100,000 per year

Practice Squad

And the average teacher's salary in Texas is $49,780. Is it any wonder we can't attract companies like Amazon because we don't have a large enough educated workforce?

Starter

I can say that the Coach at Westlake , Lake Travis , and Highland Park even with those salaries it would still be very very difficult to actually live in those immediate school districts as the home prices , property tax and others are just so high. I know Dodge got paid well during his time at North Texas but other than that I am not sure how they could live in those districts even with those salaries.

Quote Originally Posted by Caveman View Post
    And the average teacher's salary in Texas is $49,780. Is it any wonder we can't attract companies like Amazon because we don't have a large enough educated workforce?
    Look, I agree teachers should be paid more because it’s a tough job. But let’s not pretend like they’re grossly underpaid.

Teachers work 9 months a year. They also have EVERY holiday off, they get a full week for thanksgiving and several weeks for Christmas. They have opportunities to earn extra pay by becoming department heads, master teachers, administrative positions, sponsoring programs at the school and/or coaching, tutoring, doing Saturday school, etc. Teachers also have an incredible retirement program that is sponsored by the state.

When you look at their pay on an actual hours worked rate, it’s not bad at all.

Teaching degrees are also very easy to come by. My direct experience in school tells me that very few people start off going for a teaching degree. Majority of people I know who went for more challenging degrees and changed majors, changed to teaching.... there’s a ton of teachers. It’s also a supply and demand thing....

Fire away

Practice Squad

You Have No Clue what being a teacher is like

All-District

Quote Originally Posted by Celina8 View Post
    I can say that the Coach at Westlake , Lake Travis , and Highland Park even with those salaries it would still be very very difficult to actually live in those immediate school districts as the home prices , property tax and others are just so high. I know Dodge got paid well during his time at North Texas but other than that I am not sure how they could live in those districts even with those salaries.
    Surratt making $154,900 a year. That’s living like a King in ETX. Some people think it’s too much, but my opinion you can’t put a price on what Surratt has done for this community. I know it’s only HSFB, but it’s actually a lot more than that. Hope they give him another raise this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Bug Truck View Post
    You Have No Clue what being a teacher is like
    Correct. I’m not a teacher - but teachers also have no clue what it’s like to do other jobs. I acknowledged being a teacher is tough, but try making million+ dollar decisions daily, trying being directly responsible for peoples’ safety, try going to school for 10+ years and racking up 200k in debt to be qualified for a job, try not having 3-4 months a year off, try going for a job that there aren’t people lined up out the door for. There’s reasons other careers pay better....

Teachers know what they’re signing up for, work wise and pay wise. So I’m not sure why they’re first in line tout how tough their job is and complain about their salary.

Want more money? Go get qualified to do something else. If enough people quit being teachers and there’s a shortage, they’ll be forced to pay teachers more. It’s simple economics. Unpopular opinion but that’s fine.

Fire away....

Practice Squad

I’m married to a teacher of 25 plus years teaching. Who did not choose her career field because of all that time off. Or a lack of intelligence to do something else. That time off is spent going to TEA mandatory curriculum seminars plus getting ready for the next year. And believe me with what they have to put up with today and the future it’s only going to get tougher.

Practice Squad

If you think teachers are overpaid you have no idea what they really do and the hours that are put in. A very disrespectful post on this thread. I also understand that the Columbia Brazoria community has voted down several school bonds through the years. How important do you think the schools are. Not looking at getting into a peeling match. Just find the post above out of line. Good day all

Quote Originally Posted by Slyone View Post
    If you think teachers are overpaid you have no idea what they really do and the hours that are put in. A very disrespectful post on this thread. I also understand that the Columbia Brazoria community has voted down several school bonds through the years. How important do you think the schools are. Not looking at getting into a peeling match. Just find the post above out of line. Good day all
    Please point to where I said I think teachers are overpaid.....

As for CBISD, they should pass those bonds.

I chose to live in Katy and pay astronomical district taxes so that my son could go to the best elementary in the Houston area. The teachers in KISD of course are paid better than majority of their peers.
    Last edited by Saggy Aggie; 12-08-2018 at 06:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Saggy Aggie View Post
    Look, I agree teachers should be paid more because it’s a tough job. But let’s not pretend like they’re grossly underpaid.
    I said quite the opposite as a matter of fact. See above.

I just told you to look at the salary on an actual hours worked standpoint. Teachers aren’t the only ones who put in long hours day to day.

50,000$ over 9 months is the equivalent of 66,666$ over 12 months....

Quote Originally Posted by Bug Truck View Post
    I’m married to a teacher of 25 plus years teaching. Who did not choose her career field because of all that time off. Or a lack of intelligence to do something else. That time off is spent going to TEA mandatory curriculum seminars plus getting ready for the next year. And believe me with what they have to put up with today and the future it’s only going to get tougher.
    The landscape in college was different 25+ years ago.

The reality is nowadays teaching is considered a fallback option for tons of students in college. It’s unfortunate and I wish that weren’t the case. Of course that’s not everyone, not even the majority of teachers. But it floods the market, keeping pressure on wages for those who are in it for the right reasons and do a good job.

I would love for the quality teachers that we have to be paid accordingly, and in some places they are. We have teachers in KISD fresh out school that are making 55-60k. That’s nearly a starting engineering salary.

No degree or job is worth pursuing if you don’t do it the right way. I wouldn’t be taking a bottom tier HISD teaching job if I were a teacher.
    Last edited by Saggy Aggie; 12-08-2018 at 06:09 PM.

All-American

Especially in the lower classification schools

All-American

Priorities in this country are a joke. Coaches making twice as much as teachers proves it beyond doubt.

Stink on stink , low man wins = Ricebird football.

Practice Squad

What is the proper salary for the ones charged with the education of our future. It’s not what the average teacher is paid now or even close. I know lots of Professional educators that work second jobs to make ends meet. And the choices 25 years ago are no different than now. You don’t pick a career choice based on failure.