Default Cold, Wet Playoff Football

Today reminds me of a playoff game I was part of on the 1983 4A Carthage Bulldogs. Our team is today best know as the only team to score a touchdown on the 1983 3A Dangerfield Tigers (Carthage lost 10 - 6). We were playing Corsicana in Mesquite for the regional championship and it was cold and raining. I however, remained dry and somewhat warm under my rain parka. Carthage had tons of talent on the team (I was not among the talented) and our star was a running back named Roscoe Tatum. Roscoe was the fastest football player in Texas (4A - 100 and 200 M state track champ) and our playbook was mostly sweep left or sweep right.

At halftime, Coach Sleepy Reynolds ask if anyone wore medium sized pants. Several of my less astute team mates raised their hands and one was quickly chosen to trade pants with Roscoe (his were quite wet). Hence my best chance to contribute to the Carthage Bulldogs playoff run was squandered. Carthage went on to win that night and advanced all the way to the Semifinals before losing 20-16 to Lubbock Estacado.

At the time 83 was the Bulldogs best team ever! Times they have definitely changed.

Here is a picture of Roscoe narrowly losing a 100M to Carl Lewis:
    A6EtXFYCYAE0o5w.jpg
    Carthage Bulldogs

2008, 2009, 2010, 2013, 2016, 2017, 2019, 2020, 2022

9 X State Football Champs

We lost to Daingerfield that year in the State Championship. I've never seen a team like them.

All-American

Quote Originally Posted by oldtownag View Post
    Today reminds me of a playoff game I was part of on the 1983 4A Carthage Bulldogs. Our team is today best know as the only team to score a touchdown on the 1983 3A Dangerfield Tigers (Carthage lost 10 - 6). We were playing Corsicana in Mesquite for the regional championship and it was cold and raining. I however, remained dry and somewhat warm under my rain parka. Carthage had tons of talent on the team (I was not among the talented) and our star was a running back named Roscoe Tatum. Roscoe was the fastest football player in Texas (4A - 100 and 200 M state track champ) and our playbook was mostly sweep left or sweep right.

At halftime, Coach Sleepy Reynolds ask if anyone wore medium sized pants. Several of my less astute team mates raised their hands and one was quickly chosen to trade pants with Roscoe (his were quite wet). Hence my best chance to contribute to the Carthage Bulldogs playoff run was squandered. Carthage went on to win that night and advanced all the way to the Semifinals before losing 20-16 to Lubbock Estacado.

At the time 83 was the Bulldogs best team ever! Times they have definitely changed.

A6EtXFYCYAE0o5w.jpg
    fun read

Yes, great read. Thanks for sharing.
    YnoT us?

Starter

Drove out for a game at Vernon on Black Friday in 2015. It was 32.001ºF and rained the entire game. Didn't even get a flake of snow. Just flat miserable.
    24 down ... 24 to go.

Quote Originally Posted by oldtownag View Post

A6EtXFYCYAE0o5w.jpg
    Great read ! Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "GO MEAN GREEN"
    When we're bad, we're good. When we're good, we're BAD !
    767-380-38