Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Administrator/Owner LH Panther Mom's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Txbroadcaster View Post
    Why is it not good coaching? You are trying to put your team in the best position possible.
    If it's strategy, that's one thing. But if you tell your players before the game that winning is not a good plan, what does that say about your character? And what are telling the kids and staff?
    Quick side! Strong side! Crank up the Machine!

Quote Originally Posted by LH Panther Mom View Post
    If it's strategy, that's one thing. But if you tell your players before the game that winning is not a good plan, what does that say about your character? And what are telling the kids and staff?
    What does character have to do with it? Coaches are going to prepare to play a game. I doubt he tells a team do not try but also his job is to put them in the best position to achieve their goals. IMO great teaching point about losing the battle can sometimes help you win the war.
    Sideline To Sideline Show Each Week at https://lonestargridiron.com/categor...-to-sideline//

Quote Originally Posted by Txbroadcaster View Post
    What does character have to do with it? Coaches are going to prepare to play a game. I doubt he tells a team do not try but also his job is to put them in the best position to achieve their goals. IMO great teaching point about losing the battle can sometimes help you win the war.
    Yeah, I don’t think you lose intentionally, but if you want to sit starters and play conservatively in what amounts to a meaningless game, then go for it. The kids you put on the field do their best to win the game but the outcome is what it is.

All-District

Quote Originally Posted by LH Panther Mom View Post
    No one did that, and we literally don't know of anyone who has ever done that, so I don't understand why you'd bring it up.

Here's what happened:

In a game Copperas Cove had to win to reach the D-II playoffs, Temple led 12-0 at halftime and 18-7 into the fourth quarter at chilly Bulldawg Stadium. After Stewart watched star junior receiver Quentin Johnston and starting cornerbacks Markel Reed and Roman Jackson leave with knee injuries, he decided that health needed to become the Wildcats’ primary focus.

“We came out here to execute. I do care what people think about me, but I have to make decisions for this team and I’m going to stand by those decisions,” Stewart said. “Our objectives were to eliminate mistakes and to stay healthy. After our second kid thought he was going to get put on crutches, I wasn’t interested in seeing more of that. If we lose many more guys, it doesn’t matter who we match up with. It was diminishing returns.

“We did not throw this game. Their 1s were better than our 2s (during the final quarter-plus). Hat’s off to Cove. They executed their plan and got after it."

Perfect example why 6A needs to divide into Division 1 and 2 as districts. This has been a problem since 1990 when they first made Big school and Small school. Why not just drop the pretense and make it 1A to 12A... that's essentially what it is already. The 6A today is pretty much what the old old City Conferences were from 1948-1950 when inner city Houston, Dallas, San Antonio and Fort Worth schools competed for the largest classification state championships, except now it would be Greater Houston, Metromess, Greater San Antonio and Greater Austin as 6A D1.
    424-100-3 (80.74% win percentage) Highest winning percentage in the state

9 straight Region III Finals '11-'19
    56 consecutive district game wins '09-'20 (88-1 in district since 2003)
    37 consecutive non-losing seasons '84-'20

4 Championships - 1986, 1987, 2015, 2016
    8 State Finals - 1986, 1987, 1988, 2000, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017
    9 Semifinals - 1986, 1987, 1988, 2000, 2005, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017
    14 Quarterfinals - 1986, 1987, 1988, 2000, 2005, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019
    31 Playoff Appearances

Administrator/Owner LH Panther Mom's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rb585 View Post
    No one did that, and we literally don't know of anyone who has ever done that, so I don't understand why you'd bring it up.

Here's what happened:
    I wasn't talking about Cove.
    Quick side! Strong side! Crank up the Machine!