View Poll Results: Who Wins?

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • Pleasant Grove

1 8.33%
  • Carthage

11 91.67%

Default Week 6 GOTW: Pleasant Grove (4-1) @ Carthage (4-0)

Big Game in ET this week.
    Once a Bulldog, Always a Bulldog

Sweeny All Time Record 514-305-28

GATA - A Sweeny Tradition Since 1980

1944, 45, 46, 47, 48, 60, 61, 66, 67, 82, 83, 84, 86, 88, 89, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 2000, 01, 05, 06, 08, 09, 10, 11, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21

Last years champs go head to head.

Carthage!
    Carthage Bulldogs

2008, 2009, 2010, 2013, 2016, 2017, 2019, 2020, 2022

9 X State Football Champs

All-District

This game has lost some hype. I think Carthage wins pretty easy. Carthage gets up by 3 scores in the 3rd, and coast to a victory. 42-28. 2nd team gets some PT late in the 4th. Typical Carthage win. Nothing flashy like some teams (Argyle throwing that last pass against LE? I hope them Eagles can get to Jerry World this year.)

All-American

I just don't see this game being very close. Last year, I think PG would've given the Dawgs a helluva game. I think Carthage would've pulled away in the end, but I think the Hawks would have given them all they could handle.

This year, I think Carthage is three possessions better. The Dawgs look stout, man.
    Texas Forever.

Quote Originally Posted by d0tc0m View Post
    I just don't see this game being very close. Last year, I think PG would've given the Dawgs a helluva game. I think Carthage would've pulled away in the end, but I think the Hawks would have given them all they could handle.

This year, I think Carthage is three possessions better. The Dawgs look stout, man.
    This. I couldn't agree more. I just think Carthage is by far the best 4A team in bEast Texas, and most certainly one of the top three in Texas, if not the best. I have a hard time thinking PG will be able to keep this game close, especially with the turnovers that the Hawks have been prone to this season.

I was under the impression that there would be some dropoff from last season, but it appears to me that this year's team is just as good, if not better overall than last season. I would be shocked if PG could stay within a couple of TDs of Carthage.
    "Kaizen"

".......offense wins games, but DEFENSE wins championships!"

P.R.I.D.E.

Gilmer Buckeyes -State Champions:

2004 3A - Division II
    2009 3A - Division I
    2014 4A - Division II
    2023 4A - Division II

All-American

Quote Originally Posted by waterboy View Post
    This. I couldn't agree more. I just think Carthage is by far the best 4A team in bEast Texas, and most certainly one of the top three in Texas, if not the best. I have a hard time thinking PG will be able to keep this game close, especially with the turnovers that the Hawks have been prone to this season.

I was under the impression that there would be some dropoff from last season, but it appears to me that this year's team is just as good, if not better overall than last season. I would be shocked if PG could stay within a couple of TDs of Carthage.

Yeah, I think Carthage lacks that flashy star power that they maybe had last year. But it's not like the cupboard was bare. The talent runs deep there. And every question mark I had for Carthage coming into this year has been answered. I think they could get a challenge from Midlothian Heritage — their loss to LV not withstanding — in the Region III playoffs, but that's it. Now, I could definitely see Liberty Hill giving the Dawgs fits in the semifinals — assuming both teams make it that far — and that would be a mammoth matchup.

Until then, though, I think it's steady-as-she-goes for Carthage. I'd be surprised if anyone stays within two or three possessions of the Dawgs until deep in the postseason.
    Texas Forever.

All-District

I will say it right now, Pleasant Grove will be the team to beat in 4A DII.
    That was one heck of a knock down drag out game. PG is for real and may have the two best Defensive ends at the 4A level.
    If they can develop any kind of passing game to go with that run game, they may not lose another game.
    They have a run stopping defense but had no one in the secondary that could keep up with K Dixon.
    Gunner Capps look like Tom Brady on the 80 yard drive to win the ball game. He throws the winning TD with 3 seconds left on the clock.
    The Dawgs needed a game like this instead of blowing everybody out. The Dawgs were tested big time tonight.
    Lets Go Dawgs!!!!!!!
    God Bless coaches, players, and fans.

All-American

Lol - sos

Stink on stink , low man wins = Ricebird football.

All-District

This was an awesome game. PG played the near perfect game. This loss has to hurt. One fumble away from dethroning the champs. Carthage needed a game like this to get their attention. Didn’t play a great game, but still got the W. 31 in a row. Respect to PG for sure.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dawgs View Post
    This was an awesome game. PG played the near perfect game. This loss has to hurt. One fumble away from dethroning the champs. Carthage needed a game like this to get their attention. Didn’t play a great game, but still got the W. 31 in a row. Respect to PG for sure.
    I happened to be in the area and was able to catch this game. I would have reached out for a meet and greet but wasn’t sure if I was going to be able to make the game. Both showed signs of struggle and overcame adversity throughout the game. That’s usually what happens when 2 heavy weights go at it for 4 solid quarters. I can say this... Argyle, Heritage, La Vega, Liberty Hill and Sville are just as much contenders as Carthage is. All very solid teams this season and I don’t believe there is a clear favorite.
    STEPHENVILLE YELLOWJACKET FOOTBALL
    STATE CHAMPS 1993, 1994, 1998, 1999, 2012, 2021

STEPHENVILLE HONEYBEE SOCCER
    STATE CHAMPS 2017, 2019

Carthage Bulldogs

2008, 2009, 2010, 2013, 2016, 2017, 2019, 2020, 2022

9 X State Football Champs