Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by Txbroadcaster View Post
    yes they were 2-8 the year before...If I remember right their QB got hurt early in that year but from 2013 they have been

4-6, 5-6, 5-5, 2-8, 6-4 and this year 1-3 so far

I am not saying he will not turn it around some..but they are basically a .500 team again....That 2004 fluke run to the title IMO almost hurt the program more than it helped because it created a false narrative that Lee was a state power in the mind of the Lee fan base.
    It would be tough for any coach to win consistently at Lee. The same program at the high school level is not being taught to the kids in the junior high schools in the city, so the coaches and kids are already behind the curve. It is kind of a death zone for high school coaches, to be honest. I'm not sure what the answer is to making the Tyler schools consistent winners, but it's going to take a LOT of people on the same page to get things turned around, in my opinion.
    "Kaizen"

".......offense wins games, but DEFENSE wins championships!"

P.R.I.D.E.

Gilmer Buckeyes -State Champions:

2004 3A - Division II
    2009 3A - Division I
    2014 4A - Division II
    2023 4A - Division II

Quote Originally Posted by oldtownag View Post
    Which is the most important for success?
    It depends, if the program has never really been good then coaching. If the program has a tradition of success and expectation of winning then talent.

Stephenville for example was a doormat before Briles but he changed the culture 30 years ago (i cant believe it has been that ong.). Stephenville has had 27 winning seasons with 28 playoff appearances since then. The Jackets had only had 34 winning seasons and 6 playoff appearances in the previous 68 years of football. With that said the Jackets five titles have all come with a D1 athlete playing QB; four other years the Jackets made it to the semi's for a total of 9 semi-final appearances and all but one of those years the Jackets had D1 talent under center.

So to create a winning culture I say coaching is most important but to be a champion takes both.
    Yellow Jacket for Life!

Administrator/Owner LH Panther Mom's Avatar

Both! A good coach can take a group of players and get them to play at a higher level. A crappy coach, one that belittles those same players, will have them play at the level the coach tells them they are. Great talent is awesome, but if it's limited to one or two, it probably won't make a huge difference. As important is a cohesive team...coaches and players. That can be magic!
    Quick side! Strong side! Crank up the Machine!

Blog Entries

I believe it takes both, but I think the edge goes to coaching. A solid coach can bring up a mediocre program to a high level program. Throw in a few true athletes and it becomes an elite program. Far too many examples of it at the HS and college levels. A mediocre coach with a a bunch of high level athletes seems to result in an above average team but not an elite team, mostly due to, IMO, the me first attitudes of some higher level athletes.
    You Talking to Me?

All-State

Quote Originally Posted by panfan View Post
    I believe it takes both, but I think the edge goes to coaching. A solid coach can bring up a mediocre program to a high level program. Throw in a few true athletes and it becomes an elite program. Far too many examples of it at the HS and college levels. A mediocre coach with a a bunch of high level athletes seems to result in an above average team but not an elite team, mostly due to, IMO, the me first attitudes of some higher level athletes.
    I completely agree
    3rdCROWN12/21/2018