Junior Varsity

Default Are Maxpreps Stats Reliable?

Studying up on stats for Gilmer vs Pleasant Grove and notice that Maxpreps.com shows a new coach for Gilmer. Are they premature, incorrect or just incompetent.

All-American

Quote Originally Posted by movethechain View Post
    Studying up on stats for Gilmer vs Pleasant Grove and notice that Maxpreps.com shows a new coach for Gilmer. Are they premature, incorrect or just incompetent.
    D All of the above
    Originally posted by Ranger Mom
    Umm...what is a sweet beaver??
    the best kind???

Practice Squad

Anytime I’m talking hsfb with someone and they say “maxpreps” I start laughing and walk away.

Quote Originally Posted by lostaussie View Post
    D All of the above
    Exactly.
    "Kaizen"

".......offense wins games, but DEFENSE wins championships!"

P.R.I.D.E.

Gilmer Buckeyes -State Champions:

2004 3A - Division II
    2009 3A - Division I
    2014 4A - Division II
    2023 4A - Division II

About the only thing I use maxpreps for is schedules and scores. Pretty quick to navigate and fairly reliable. I wouldn’t use it for stats but then again I’m not sure what a good source would be?

Quote Originally Posted by Saggy Aggie View Post
    About the only thing I use maxpreps for is schedules and scores. Pretty quick to navigate and fairly reliable. I wouldn’t use it for stats but then again I’m not sure what a good source would be?
    Agreed. I don't think they get emails from the coaches or statisticians that attend the games, so accuracy is not going to be there. Very few news sources do full statistics any more.
    "Kaizen"

".......offense wins games, but DEFENSE wins championships!"

P.R.I.D.E.

Gilmer Buckeyes -State Champions:

2004 3A - Division II
    2009 3A - Division I
    2014 4A - Division II
    2023 4A - Division II

All-State

I look at it for all the above with the understanding there is some incompleteness with some teams from time to time. The scores and schedules I have found to be reliable but the box score is inconsistent for some games and spot on for others. Its the only national source for statistics that I know of other than NHS Records involving HS Football. That being said Liberty Hill is currently listed as the number 1 rushing offense in the entire nation for all classifications public and private, ins spite of having played 1 to 3 games less than all others in the top 10. I choose to believe that this stat is spot on, lol.
    3rdCROWN12/21/2018

Practice Squad

It is up to the coaches of the particular school to keep the stats up to date and accurate. Some are better than others

All-State

Quote Originally Posted by Slyone View Post
    It is up to the coaches of the particular school to keep the stats up to date and accurate. Some are better than others
    This was going to be my answer. Max Preps is not out scouring the internet for a million teams stats. They allow a portal for coaches to enter. I know Lorena's, in year's past, were very accurate. Tackle counts.... now that's a whole 'nother ballgame across the board

About their rankings (insert snarky remarks here) - the later in the season, the more accurate they are (in my opinion). They use some of that really high folutin' math It doesn't take into account an injured player returning, or a teams history in the playoffs, but purely point spreads, scores, common opponents. That is what I like about it - takes the homer opinions out.

http://www.maxpreps.com/news/X4MCEfn...kings-work.htm
    Last edited by FB-fanatic; 11-28-2018 at 06:26 PM.

All-American

As far as I know, Mark Skinner of the Buckeye broadcast crew is keeping the stats for the coaches this season.

MaxPreps has always respected Gilmer highly in terms of rankings this year. Even when we lost our final three games we were still solidly in the Top 20 statewide of 4A DII.

As of now, MaxPreps rankings from 1 to 7 are as follows: Pleasant Grove, Lorena, Glen Rose, Pittsburg, Jasper, Cuero, Gilmer.

All-American
    Blog Entries

Actually......the team stats are reported to MaxPreps by the team.....correct or incorrect. MaxPreps only prints what has been turned in to them by an official coach or scorer for the team.....or they won't have any team stats at all if none are turned in. If the team turns in some games but not others.....the stats listed reflect what has been turned in.
    Yesterdays are gone forever and tomorrows may never happen, but today you have the opportunity to make a difference.

All-American

Quote Originally Posted by Aesculus gilmus View Post
    As far as I know, Mark Skinner of the Buckeye broadcast crew is keeping the stats for the coaches this season.

MaxPreps has always respected Gilmer highly in terms of rankings this year. Even when we lost our final three games we were still solidly in the Top 20 statewide of 4A DII.

As of now, MaxPreps rankings from 1 to 7 are as follows: Pleasant Grove, Lorena, Glen Rose, Pittsburg, Jasper, Cuero, Gilmer.
    Now I remember why I haven't looked at their rankings in 3 or 4 years.

Stink on stink , low man wins = Ricebird football.