Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by lostaussie View Post
    No I didn't attend. Now, I hope I am completely wrong. Two semi final appearances in 3 years is nothing to sneeze at. I just think we have lost some of the "it" factor that got us to where we were at.
    We don't even have any signs in town recognizing the 2014 team that won state. And one of the signs coming in from Gladewater has a PG sticker plastered right in the middle of it that nobody will even remove. In my opinion the Buckeyes have grown irrelevant to 75% of the town.
    I haven't even seen that sign with the sticker on it. I guess I'll have to take a closer look on the way home.

This year's Buckeyes look bigger than the last few teams I've seen. It may be an optical illusion, though. I'm with you in that it seems the excitement has tapered off. I would love to see the DEFENSE stressed more, though, and unless that happens, it will be another season of what-ifs. We will win a lot of games, though, for sure.
    "Kaizen"

".......offense wins games, but DEFENSE wins championships!"

P.R.I.D.E.

Gilmer Buckeyes -State Champions:

2004 3A - Division II
    2009 3A - Division I
    2014 4A - Division II
    2023 4A - Division II

Junior Varsity

Excitement is down since JT left, but the system is still here as well as great athletes and coaches. What is missing is just the fire on the sideline that Jeff always brought. I watched this year's "Meet The Buckeyes" video from the other night and we have several BIG ol' boys this year. Unusual for Gilmer, but this year seems we have a bit more beef. This year will be fun, just for the fact that we don't know what we will have at the QB position. Might be a bit painful at the start of the season, until the offense jells with the new QB. We have at least a couple very talented receivers back as well as a top level running back. My anticipation is high as I try to keep my doubts in check.

All-American

Quote Originally Posted by movethechain View Post
    Excitement is down since JT left, but the system is still here as well as great athletes and coaches. What is missing is just the fire on the sideline that Jeff always brought. I watched this year's "Meet The Buckeyes" video from the other night and we have several BIG ol' boys this year. Unusual for Gilmer, but this year seems we have a bit more beef. This year will be fun, just for the fact that we don't know what we will have at the QB position. Might be a bit painful at the start of the season, until the offense jells with the new QB. We have at least a couple very talented receivers back as well as a top level running back. My anticipation is high as I try to keep my doubts in check.
    That's good to hear. We need a little size. And a defense......a defense would be great. Not a total shutdown defense.......just the kind that get get some stops at critical times of the day game. We haven't had that in several years.
    Originally posted by Ranger Mom
    Umm...what is a sweet beaver??
    the best kind???

2013, 2015, 2016 3ADL FF Champ jason's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by movethechain View Post
    Unusual for Gilmer, but this year seems we have a bit more beef. This year will be fun, just for the fact that we don't know what we will have at the QB position. Might be a bit painful at the start of the season, until the offense jells with the new QB. We have at least a couple very talented receivers back as well as a top level running back. My anticipation is high as I try to keep my doubts in check.
    This describes Stephenvile to a 'T'.

Quote Originally Posted by waterboy View Post
    I haven't even seen that sign with the sticker on it. I guess I'll have to take a closer look on the way home.

This year's Buckeyes look bigger than the last few teams I've seen. It may be an optical illusion, though. I'm with you in that it seems the excitement has tapered off. I would love to see the DEFENSE stressed more, though, and unless that happens, it will be another season of what-ifs. We will win a lot of games, though, for sure.
    I think we will see Gilmer be more like the Justin Johnson Buckeyes where they will establish a run alot more.
    Sideline To Sideline Show Each Week at https://lonestargridiron.com/categor...-to-sideline//

Starter

I am not trying to argue with the hometown crowd who knows way more about there own team than I actually, but just my humble opinion Gilmer only knows one thing and that is Winning!!!! One of the best program in the State.

All-American

Quote Originally Posted by Celina8 View Post
    I am not trying to argue with the hometown crowd who knows way more about there own team than I actually, but just my humble opinion Gilmer only knows one thing and that is Winning!!!! One of the best program in the State.
    Thank you, Celina8. Of course, the same can be said about the Celina football program and the winning tradition there was established way before we had one.

Quote Originally Posted by Txbroadcaster View Post
    I think we will see Gilmer be more like the Justin Johnson Buckeyes where they will establish a run alot more.
    You definitely could be right. I don't know that we have a RB with that kind of size and power, but we do have a good stable of RBs. I look for Brannon Webb to have a big season, and I also think we will be just fine at QB. We have several very good receivers, too. I don't think we will be nearly as prone to TOs like we have the past three seasons, either. Now..., if we could just stress DEFENSE a little more.....
    "Kaizen"

".......offense wins games, but DEFENSE wins championships!"

P.R.I.D.E.

Gilmer Buckeyes -State Champions:

2004 3A - Division II
    2009 3A - Division I
    2014 4A - Division II
    2023 4A - Division II

Letterman

Quote Originally Posted by lostaussie View Post
    I think before the season is over it will be obvious that Gilmer has fallen a notch. I hope not, but I just see it slowly transpiring.
    In spite of that, DCTF has picked your team and mine (WO-S) to meet in the finals. Obviously past success has factored heavily into this prognosis. WO-S will be really good, but I don't see us as the #1 team out of the gate as DCTF ranked us because we have too many new faces. I have all the faith in the world in Coach Thompson and his staff to get the most out of our players. Our brutal pre-season schedule will show us where we stand - Nederland (5A), Newton, Crosby (#4 in 5A), Jasper, and Silsbee as the first district game. Personally, I thought Cuero should have received the #1 ranking. They have probably the best player in 4AD2 (Whittington) and TWO proven tailbacks.

All-American

We will both get a little taste of Newton. Could be a good indicator.
    Originally posted by Ranger Mom
    Umm...what is a sweet beaver??
    the best kind???

I have been very pleased...seem to have the fire with the guys...we will have a great bunch of Seniors that have already stepped up...strong & large bunch of Juniors with lots of experience & new blood...Sophs are already there in so many ways... I think this bunch will impress you...Freshmen have some really special guys with years of wins...maybe some Varsity talent...Jr.High is going to be a real handful
    Made several practices & I am seeing a very special bunch.
    buckeyebob