Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Sideline to Sideline 4A TIERS and Dark Horses Show

All-American
    Blog Entries

Not many people know this, but my brother told me that last year on the night of the Yoakum-Goliad playoff game at DKR stadium, the Goliad players were fed Barbeque before the game. With that kind of pregame meal.....it's no wonder the players looked slow and lethargic. Plus, I think the players were sort of "in awe" playing at DKR in Austin.....they really were not mentally or physically "ready" for that playoff game last year.....even though they had the personnel to match up with Yoakum to make the game a much closer contest. It was not close after the first quarter. I think this season things will be different for this team mentally.......and it will start right away. By the time district rolls around with Yoakum, Hallettsville, and Edna......three very quality teams......Goliad should be a much improved team from where their season ended last year in that playoff game against Yoakum. I'll be getting the updates from my brother as the season unfolds.
    Yesterdays are gone forever and tomorrows may never happen, but today you have the opportunity to make a difference.

All-American
    Blog Entries

I believe Goliad finished high in the 7 on 7 this summer, defeating Celina but eventually losing to Melissa......just to give you an idea of quality they will have at qb and their receiving corps.
    Yesterdays are gone forever and tomorrows may never happen, but today you have the opportunity to make a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by regaleagle View Post
    Not many people know this, but my brother told me that last year on the night of the Yoakum-Goliad playoff game at DKR stadium, the Goliad players were fed Barbeque before the game. With that kind of pregame meal.....it's no wonder the players looked slow and lethargic. Plus, I think the players were sort of "in awe" playing at DKR in Austin.....they really were not mentally or physically "ready" for that playoff game last year.....even though they had the personnel to match up with Yoakum to make the game a much closer contest. It was not close after the first quarter. I think this season things will be different for this team mentally.......and it will start right away. By the time district rolls around with Yoakum, Hallettsville, and Edna......three very quality teams......Goliad should be a much improved team from where their season ended last year in that playoff game against Yoakum. I'll be getting the updates from my brother as the season unfolds.
    I was at that game and ill tell you that Yoakum looked 10 times quicker off the ball than Goliad. Was pretty impressive how the Bulldogs came out of the gates. I think this is the year that Goliad takes Yoakum though. Pretty sure we are going to head down there for that one. Heard Goliad got a QB move in from Hallettsville (Taylor I think), but don't quote me on that.

Starter

Quote Originally Posted by Gsquared View Post
    I was at that game and ill tell you that Yoakum looked 10 times quicker off the ball than Goliad. Was pretty impressive how the Bulldogs came out of the gates. I think this is the year that Goliad takes Yoakum though. Pretty sure we are going to head down there for that one. Heard Goliad got a QB move in from Hallettsville (Taylor I think), but don't quote me on that.
    They got last year WR who was a brother to Hville Sr QB . His name is Jackson Taylor and he really good on both sides of ball.

All-American
    Blog Entries

Yep......those brothers were a really good combo for Hallettsville, for sure. Now the younger one is back at Goliad where his father was coaching before he was dismissed for harrassment charges. He was also a former head coach for Hallettsville before they hired Psencik in 2010. Taylor moved to Goliad and accepted a position as O.C. or D.C.for several seasons before becoming the Head Coach in 2015. After that season and the dismissal, he moved back to Hallettsville where his sons played on the Brahmas football team. His son DJ was QB there for 2016 and 2017 while son Jackson played as a soph. and junior for the 'Brahmas at receiver. Jackson Taylor will be a senior this season under 3rd yr. Head Coach Bobby Nicholson in Goliad. Nicholson was hired as AD and Head Football Coach after Taylor's resignation. Nicholson was Yoakum's Offensive Coordinator and Head Baseball Coach for 9 seasons before resigning to take the reins at Goliad. Guess what??? Psensick of Hallettsville was originally hired away from Yoakum too in 2010....replacing Taylor who was Head Coach of Hallettsville for 2 yrs. Stranger than fiction, Huh?
    Last edited by regaleagle; 08-11-2018 at 12:37 AM.

2013, 2015, 2016 3ADL FF Champ jason's Avatar

Just watched stephenvilles intersquad scrimmage. That first team Defense look pretty solid vs the JV!!

Starter

Quote Originally Posted by regaleagle View Post
    Yep......those brothers were a really good combo for Hallettsville, for sure. Now the younger one is back at Goliad where his father was coaching before he was dismissed for harrassment charges. He was also a former head coach for Hallettsville before they hired Psencik in 2010. Taylor moved to Goliad and accepted a position as O.C. or D.C.for several seasons before becoming the Head Coach in 2015. After that season and the dismissal, he moved back to Hallettsville where his sons played on the Brahmas football team. His son DJ was QB there for 2016 and 2017 while son Jackson played as a soph. and junior for the 'Brahmas at receiver. Jackson Taylor will be a senior this season under 3rd yr. Head Coach Bobby Nicholson in Goliad. Nicholson was hired as AD and Head Football Coach after Taylor's resignation. Nicholson was Yoakum's Offensive Coordinator and Head Baseball Coach for 9 seasons before resigning to take the reins at Goliad. Guess what??? Psensick of Hallettsville was originally hired away from Yoakum too in 2010....replacing Taylor who was Head Coach of Hallettsville for 2 yrs. Stranger than fiction, Huh?
    Lots of good info there. Coach Psenik was at Yoakum for 15 yrs and was D.C. Most of time and AD for one year. Great guy than done a really good job at Hville Coach Taylor has coached at AD at Hville and twice at Goliad and has always had very good programs at both schools. Not sure what happen at Goliad but I always thought and still think Kyle Taylor a great guy. There always rumors and this was a very unusual situation. Good luck to Jackson at Goliad.

All-American

I think before the season is over it will be obvious that Gilmer has fallen a notch. I hope not, but I just see it slowly transpiring.
    Originally posted by Ranger Mom
    Umm...what is a sweet beaver??
    the best kind???

All-American

China Spring will surprise you...

And Brownwood folks are not going to be happy about not even being labeled a dark horse..

All-American

Quote Originally Posted by lostaussie View Post
    I think before the season is over it will be obvious that Gilmer has fallen a notch. I hope not, but I just see it slowly transpiring.
    Did you see them Saturday night? This team looks like it has a lot of good athletes to me. I think it largely depends on how good our QB turns out to be.

All-District

I hope that’s not true about Gilmer. My second favorite team.

I know Turner has done a good job, but I have a question. Why is it that the powers to be didn’t hire Kurt Traylor? Y’all let the last Traylor get out the door to Tyler Lee.

All-American

Quote Originally Posted by Dawgs View Post
    I hope that’s not true about Gilmer. My second favorite team.

I know Turner has done a good job, but I have a question. Why is it that the powers to be didn’t hire Kurt Traylor? Y’all let the last Traylor get out the door to Tyler Lee.
    Usually a longtime coordinator is considered to be next in line as head coach, if you're hiring from within. So that was part of it, I think. As anyone who follows Gilmer knows, Matt Turner was just as responsible for the success of Gilmer on offense from 2003 on as Jeff Traylor was.

Gilmer doesn't play defense all that much, so that's why the defensive coordinator wasn't considered. Just kidding.

Actually, as I recall, he didn't even apply for the job.

All-American

Quote Originally Posted by Aesculus gilmus View Post
    Did you see them Saturday night? This team looks like it has a lot of good athletes to me. I think it largely depends on how good our QB turns out to be.
    No I didn't attend. Now, I hope I am completely wrong. Two semi final appearances in 3 years is nothing to sneeze at. I just think we have lost some of the "it" factor that got us to where we were at.
    We don't even have any signs in town recognizing the 2014 team that won state. And one of the signs coming in from Gladewater has a PG sticker plastered right in the middle of it that nobody will even remove. In my opinion the Buckeyes have grown irrelevant to 75% of the town.
    Originally posted by Ranger Mom
    Umm...what is a sweet beaver??
    the best kind???