Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    All-American
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by orange machine View Post
    Dave Campbell has them picked to place 3rd. I was kinda surprised at how small Grapevine was and the lack of skilled players.
    You and me both.......Denison has bigger players overall. But Grapevine does have some skill players and a good run defense. I like their D-line play and LB's. Their secondary needs lots of work. Their qbs were good, but their O-line looked weak against the Argyle D. They have some speedsters at the skill positions, but depend too much on those players to make the plays without much blocking support. I'm pretty sure there are at least 6 teams in 4A D1 that can play with Grapevine no problem......maybe more. The fact is simple......there are some really good teams in 4A D1 this year. Grapevine's enrollment is 1880......Argyle's is 854......go figure.
    Yesterdays are gone forever and tomorrows may never happen, but today you have the opportunity to make a difference.

Argyle is really good that's for sure, but I'm interested to see how they do against teams with speed and a qb that can actually run the ball. I didnt think Argyle was all that fast. Argyle did a good job at run stopping, but seemed to struggle stopping the passing game. Overall i think the defense is Argyles strong part. A fast defense is gonna be able to stop a lot of those short passes to the sidelines and all the yac yards.

Saying all that Argyle is definitely a top 5 team and gonna be a handful for any team.
    1stand10

Quote Originally Posted by regaleagle View Post
    You and me both.......Denison has bigger players overall. But Grapevine does have some skill players and a good run defense. I like their D-line play and LB's. Their secondary needs lots of work. Their qbs were good, but their O-line looked weak against the Argyle D. They have some speedsters at the skill positions, but depend too much on those players to make the plays without much blocking support. I'm pretty sure there are at least 6 teams in 4A D1 that can play with Grapevine no problem......maybe more. The fact is simple......there are some really good teams in 4A D1 this year. Grapevine's enrollment is 1880......Argyle's is 854......go figure.
    I agree and disagree lol. I didnt think Grapevine had many good skilled kids, but they did rely to much on making the big play. When Argyke brought the house Grapevine had no answer. Not having a running qb killed Grapevine. As for teams in 4a beating Grapevine, I dont think Grapevine would be a top 10 team in 4a dl. 4a dl is a juggernaut this year. I think the top 15 in 4a dl all have a shot.
    1stand10

Also Argyle is so fundamentally sound, they do everything good which helps make up for speed and strength.
    1stand10

All-American
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by orange machine View Post
    Argyle is really good that's for sure, but I'm interested to see how they do against teams with speed and a qb that can actually run the ball. I didnt think Argyle was all that fast. Argyle did a good job at run stopping, but seemed to struggle stopping the passing game. Overall i think the defense is Argyles strong part. A fast defense is gonna be able to stop a lot of those short passes to the sidelines and all the yac yards.

Saying all that Argyle is definitely a top 5 team and gonna be a handful for any team.
    Yep.....I agree with you on your analysis at this juncture, OM. I can see some areas that need some shoring up on both sides of the ball, but overall I also know the Argyle coaching staff will be working diligently to get those areas tightened up. It's not like these players are out of position or don't have what it takes to be solid.....they just need some work and minutes again......they are rusty. It's very early in the season and some good teams are coming to town. Next week should tell us alot more about how far along Argyle is at this juncture. In the Live part of the scrimmage Argyle looked much better.....did you notice the difference?
    Yesterdays are gone forever and tomorrows may never happen, but today you have the opportunity to make a difference.

Yep.....I agree with you on your analysis at this juncture, OM. I can see some areas that need some shoring up on both sides of the ball, but overall I also know the Argyle coaching staff will be working diligently to get those areas tightened up. It's not like these players are out of position or don't have what it takes to be solid.....they just need some work and minutes again......they are rusty. It's very early in the season and some good teams are coming to town. Next week should tell us alot more about how far along Argyle is at this juncture. In the Live part of the scrimmage Argyle looked much better.....did you notice the difference?
    After Grapevine scored the td kn the live qt it was like the DC scew this and just brought everybody to rush the QB which screwed up Grapevines offense. That's why I said I'm interested to see how Argyle does against a qb that can run.

I think the bigger test for Argyle will be La Vega more so than Stephenville. La Vega will have speed everywhere.
    1stand10

All-American
    Blog Entries

So will Liberty Eylau the next week in Sulphur Springs.....maybe even moreso than La Vega. But that's a few weeks away. Argyle has never had the speediest players on the gridiron, but have always managed to do well against teams with lots of speedsters. Just win......that's the main thing......regardless of how you get it done. Paris usually has a couple of speedy players too.......at rb and wideout.......and usually a bruiser rb too, but Argyle has always managed to win against them also. Gilmer always had some speedy skill players and Argyle did not let that get in the way.....they contained those players. Anytime you play a team that has one or two players with breakaway speed......at least one of those guys is probably gonna get at least one score. But I don't think it will happen all night against Argyle. Wichita Falls Hirschi had speed to burn last season, but Argyle won that contest too.
    Last edited by regaleagle; 08-25-2018 at 09:33 AM.

All-American
    Blog Entries

Last night against Grapevine, they had one rb with tons of speed and a bigger guy outside with speed and all the moves. I'm not sure there was any scouting report or preparation done ahead of time for these players to contain those guys.....it was just a scrimmage where the coaches were kind of making adjustments with the players on the spot. In a real gametime scenario.....the players will have an entire week to prepare for that team specifically. This time of the year the coaches are more concerned with the basics and getting the players accustomed to playing their positions with different offensive and defensive calls made......not what the opposing team will be doing. They make those adjustments during the scrimmage, and that's why you see so many mistakes being made.

All-American
    Blog Entries

I think these scrimmages give the fairweather local fan a snapshot look at what kind of personnel and look the team will have going forward, and that's about it. When the Live part of the scrimmage happens, you tend to get the real flavor of what to expect from the starters. In between all of of that, we see all kinds of combinations being put on the field so that the coaches can measure their players better to make some decisions and to see what kind of potential any given players will have in a gametime scenario. Some players do better in real gametime action than they do in practices, and vice versa. It's a teaching clinic and a time for ongoing evaluations by the staff in preparation for the start of the season......and then to carry that forward from there. At least.....that's basically how it's done at Argyle. Perhaps at some other schools it's done differently, depending on the circumstances and ingredients involved.
    Last edited by regaleagle; 08-25-2018 at 10:03 AM.

All-American
    Blog Entries

i think this explains why You and I have different perspectives on what we saw last night......and some of the same thoughts as well.

i think this explains why You and I have different perspectives on what we saw last night......and some of the same thoughts as well.
    Regardless Argyle appears to be good, how good who knows. We all will find out shortly.
    1stand10

Junior Varsity

Vanilla on offense for sure. I think they ran the same same 5 plays all night long. Don’t want to give to much away this early with a big game to open the season with. Offensive line is big but needs a little more work on run blocking. I believe they will be just fine. Had Stephenville scouts sitting near me and they were saying it was a waste of time being there. Said Argyle wasn’t giving anything away. Argyle coaches 1 Stephenville scouts 0

Practice Squad

I remember players lamenting about Vince Lombardi's offense "we know what their going to run, we just can't stop it." it was a very simple system that they ran to perfection. Erk Russell at the University of Georgia once answered a reporter's question about his simple offensive philosophy and why his teams passed so little. His response was "well sir, I'll tell ya, three things can happen when you throw the football and two of them are bad. I like my odds a lot better when I keep the ball on the ground. I like simple.

All-American
    Blog Entries

I've been watching Argyle play for 14 seasons......the whole enchilada......and I can tell ya for sure. Coach Rodgers and his staff know what they are doing. This team has plenty in the tank nobody has seen yet. Of course they look a little less dominating during the scrimmages......they are not hitting on all cylinders yet and don't have everybody at their slotted positions yet. The fog will disappear soon and then the real Argyle Eagle football team will emerge for this season.

Junior Varsity

That’s what I love about Eagle Football! Actually pretty excited about the season as well as the opener next week against the Yellow Jackets.