Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    All-American
    Blog Entries

Default Is Argyle loaded for a title run this year???

I guess that's the question everybody really wants to know. It's easy for the writers and forecasters to always put them near the top, but this season's 4A Division I teams are plentiful and loaded in every region. In Argyle's region, and even within it's own district.....there appears to be plenty of talent and competition to give cause for concern for the Eagles. Will they be as good or even better than last year's team that was decimated with injuries and to their stellar quarterback Jon Copeland??? Copeland has graduated and is playing at the next level now......his backup last season Hayden Clearman will lead this team at quarterback this season. Clearman played as the backup in his soph season also.....even though he was an outstanding defensive safety on defense for much of the last two seasons. He's very athletic and a leader.....did very well in baseball last season to help win that title for the Eagles. Who else do they have and how good will they be???
    Yesterdays are gone forever and tomorrows may never happen, but today you have the opportunity to make a difference.

All-American
    Blog Entries

The truth of the matter is this......Argyle does have some talented players this season on the team. Most were juniors last season.....this is really a good group of very athletic seniors. Not sure yet if Brendan Dixon will play this season in the secondary....or opt out because of the UT baseball verbal since his freshman year. Pretty sure Dillon Carter will opt out.....he was just an excellent player in the secondary his soph season, but did not play last season when Dixon did. But Argyle still has plenty of younger players at that position that are juniors and sophs. In fact.....I would definitely say this team IS loaded with talent.....maybe even moreso from top to bottom than the 2013 team that won the State title....even though that class was full of seniors. I like the beef Argyle has this season on both lines as well.....and their seasoning. They were smallish last season and young. Except for the loss of Copeland......Argyle was positioned to vie for the title last season and came within a missed opportunity late against Stephenville to get there. That game was their only loss of the season.....and quite honestly......the Eagles were outmatched physically but still very much controlled the 2nd half of that game and did not convert at the end on a missed opportunity to win it. So YES......they should be a better team this season......more talent, more physical, and more experience. But so will many others.
    Yesterdays are gone forever and tomorrows may never happen, but today you have the opportunity to make a difference.

All-American
    Blog Entries

Here's a look at Argyle's schedule for the 2018 season:
    Stephenville @ Argyle
    Waco La Vega @ Argyle
    Chapel Hill @ Chapel Hill
    Bye Week
    Liberty Eylau in Sulphur Springs
    Sanger @ Argyle*
    Paris North Lamar @ North Lamar*
    Paris @ Argyle*
    Melissa @ Melissa*
    Anna @ Argyle*
    Celina @ Celina*!!

* Denotes District Game
    !! Denotes Rivalry Game......Celina has the best record of any opponent against Argyle of more than two games played. The record between these two schools in football is 6-4 in favor of Argyle.

All-American

Quote Originally Posted by regaleagle View Post
    I guess that's the question everybody really wants to know. It's easy for the writers and forecasters to always put them near the top, but this season's 4A Division I teams are plentiful and loaded in every region. In Argyle's region, and even within it's own district.....there appears to be plenty of talent and competition to give cause for concern for the Eagles. Will they be as good or even better than last year's team that was decimated with injuries and to their stellar quarterback Jon Copeland??? Copeland has graduated and is playing at the next level now......his backup last season Hayden Clearman will lead this team at quarterback this season. Clearman played as the backup in his soph season also.....even though he was an outstanding defensive safety on defense for much of the last two seasons. He's very athletic and a leader.....did very well in baseball last season to help win that title for the Eagles. Who else do they have and how good will they be???
    Everybody ?? mmm.... maybe not everybody. LOL

Stink on stink , low man wins = Ricebird football.

All-American

As long as the injury bug doesn’t happen again I would say highly likely..

Quote Originally Posted by regaleagle View Post
    Here's a look at Argyle's schedule for the 2018 season:
    Stephenville @ Argyle
    Waco La Vega @ Argyle
    Chapel Hill @ Chapel Hill
    Bye Week
    Liberty Eylau in Sulphur Springs
    Sanger @ Argyle*
    Paris North Lamar @ North Lamar*
    Paris @ Argyle*
    Melissa @ Melissa*
    Anna @ Argyle*
    Celina @ Celina*!!

* Denotes District Game
    !! Denotes Rivalry Game......Celina has the best record of any opponent against Argyle of more than two games played. The record between these two schools in football is 6-4 in favor of Argyle.
    Am I seeing this right...Celina has moved to Div 1...gonna miss seeing them as well as Argyle.
    buckeyebob

All-American

Quote Originally Posted by buckeyebob View Post
    Am I seeing this right...Celina has moved to Div 1...gonna miss seeing them as well as Argyle.
    Celina was indeed bumped up to Division I, along with Melissa. This is going to be a nasty district in a nasty/loaded Region II.

So Clearman is going to be the QB then, huh? I had heard from several people that the move-in from SLC (Martindale) would be the signal caller, and they'd be using Clearman in other places. But, I reckon those people were speaking out of turn.

From the sound of your post, regal, it certainly seems like Argyle is loaded for bear again this year. But no Copeland is a big loss. Clearman is good, no question, but he is not Copeland. Not having Don Williams in the backfield will be felt, too. I suspect Lang will have a great year, but not having the 1-2 punch with him and Williams will make things different. And then if Dixon and Carter are definitely out, then the Eagles will be strapped for some youngsters to step up and fill in some big shoes.

At any rate, I expect Argyle to be really good again and in the conversation for a district title, region title and state title. But they play a pretty nasty schedule, and the district slate will be more difficult than it has been in the past few years.
    Texas Forever.

All-American
    Blog Entries

I don't know.....Wichita Falls Hirschi was not an easy win last season either. Neither was Decatur and Sanger. Our district has been tougher than most people give it credit for. Just because Argyle wins it every year does not mean the district is weak with the rest of the teams in it. Seems like that's all I read on here about Argyle's district.

All-American
    Blog Entries

But I agree with d0tc0m about District 7 DI this season for sure. Melissa, Celina, and Argyle all in the same district.....not to mention a very steady Paris team that wins district titles also many years.....WILL change the landscape in how Region II slots its playoff pairings going forward all the way toward an eventual Region II Champion in Division I. Heck, Melissa and Celina weren't even in Division I before this season......so everything is most definitely different starting this season in Region II D-1 for sure.

All-American
    Blog Entries

Argyle and Celina have continued scheduling each other recently even though they were in different Divisions, not just different Districts......so that rivalry matchup has not really changed. Argyle has also been scheduling Paris in predistrict for years......so that hasn't really changed either. Looks like the addition of Melissa changes the landscape a little, but there were years when Decatur and Sanger were very good in our old district......still playing Celina and Paris in predistrict. Not really sure that much has changed for Argyle.....we still play every game with a bullseye on our back.

All-American
    Blog Entries

Playing Stephenville, La Vega, and LE in predistrict should only season some of the younger players for a playoff run later......looks like a pretty good schedule for Argyle if they really want to beat the best this season.

All-District

Isn’t Argyle loaded for a run every year? They are preseason #1 almost every year. RII is loaded. I been watching highlights of Mellisa from last year. They are gonna be a tough out. I’ll want to see Argyle make some real noise in the playoffs. Last couple years had some early exits. If they can get thru that district and RII I would say they have to be the favorites to win the title. Going to be a fun year.

All-American
    Blog Entries

In the recent past years.....Argyle's predistrict schedule included very good teams from Wylie, Denison, and Lovejoy in addition to Celina and Paris. Yet Argyle has been able to lose only one game most seasons......the last game of the season in the playoffs.....or one early and one late in only 2 of the last 9 seasons. All other years Argyle either won every game or lost the final game of the season in the playoffs. Argyle is 119-11 in the past 9 seasons.....do the math. BTW, Argyle was 50-24 it's first 5 seasons while Coach Rodgers was building Argyle's program. Now add the past 9 seasons to the equation and you get Argyle's total record thru the years.......169-35 in 14 seasons......an 83% winning percentage all time.

All-American
    Blog Entries

Of course Todd Rodgers is not only the Head Coach in football for Argyle, but the Athletic Director for all sports. He's managed to divide his time and direct his energies toward building a highly successful total athletic program in every sport at Argyle thru these past 14 yrs. I think Argyle has won the Lone Star Cup for 9 yrs straight and 12 times in different classifications in its history......so that speaks volumes right there for its competitiveness thru the years regardless of the competition and classification. Success within the classification has everything to do with who is scheduled to build the teams into contenders each season.

All-American
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by d0tc0m View Post
    Celina was indeed bumped up to Division I, along with Melissa. This is going to be a nasty district in a nasty/loaded Region II.

So Clearman is going to be the QB then, huh? I had heard from several people that the move-in from SLC (Martindale) would be the signal caller, and they'd be using Clearman in other places. But, I reckon those people were speaking out of turn.

From the sound of your post, regal, it certainly seems like Argyle is loaded for bear again this year. But no Copeland is a big loss. Clearman is good, no question, but he is not Copeland. Not having Don Williams in the backfield will be felt, too. I suspect Lang will have a great year, but not having the 1-2 punch with him and Williams will make things different. And then if Dixon and Carter are definitely out, then the Eagles will be strapped for some youngsters to step up and fill in some big shoes.

At any rate, I expect Argyle to be really good again and in the conversation for a district title, region title and state title. But they play a pretty nasty schedule, and the district slate will be more difficult than it has been in the past few years.
    Hey......this could be the case regarding Clearman. He's a very valuable and athletic player regardless of the position he plays.....and he is highly capable of playing many different positions. You just never know what the coaches will do to slot the players into the best position for the overall good of the team to strengthen certain areas......with any player as the season progresses......not just Clearman.