Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Holy crap. It's a frickin scrimmage folks! Carry on. Lol
    The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have..... Vince Lombardi

All-American

Quote Originally Posted by Tejastrue View Post
    Holy crap. It's a frickin scrimmage folks! Carry on. Lol
    And clearly stopping the slot t, was far from the top priority for the MF coaching staff.

Stink on stink , low man wins = Ricebird football.

A big good dline could present some problems for Argyles oline. The only lineman that I consistently saw getting push on run plays was the rt. Now on pass plays the oline was like a brick wall, nothing was getting in.
    1stand10

Quote Originally Posted by speedbump View Post
    And clearly stopping the slot t, was far from the top priority for the MF coaching staff.
    At this stage..I'd say no. I can only talk about Wimberley scrimmages. We'd be 0 for a gazillion if we predicted the season based on scrimmage results.
    The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have..... Vince Lombardi

All-American
    Blog Entries

Just announced yesterday.....QB Bo Hogeboom won the starting job over Hunter Martindale in the qb competition. You can read the article in the Denton Record Chronicle at DentonRC.com. Go to Sports, then click on High Schools then click Argyle.
    Yesterdays are gone forever and tomorrows may never happen, but today you have the opportunity to make a difference.

Junior Varsity

Can’t wait to see this Argyle offense open it up.

Practice Squad

Sorry guys, I', not on the bandwagon with this one. I had a chance to watch both scrimmages and I though Martindale was the better QB. I don't think Hogeboom will last the whole game against Stephenville. IMO

All-American
    Blog Entries

I'm sure there was some extensive evaluation that went into making the selection. Those coaches know some stuff we don't know. If Hogeboom doesn't perform up to standards, then Martindale will be available if needed.
    Yesterdays are gone forever and tomorrows may never happen, but today you have the opportunity to make a difference.

All-American

Quote Originally Posted by regaleagle View Post
    I'm sure there was some extensive evaluation that went into making the selection. Those coaches know some stuff we don't know. If Hogeboom doesn't perform up to standards, then Martindale will be available if needed.

How similar are the two QBs, as far as skill sets go?
    Texas Forever.

Practice Squad

Quote Originally Posted by d0tc0m View Post
    How similar are the two QBs, as far as skill sets go?
    Here's my take, for what it's worth. Martindale throws a better ball, he has a longer arm, and he looks for his second reads. It was obvious that the coaches told both boys not to run the ball so that may be where rubber meets the road. It could be that Hogeboom is speedier and more elusive. It could also be that he's a junior and they'd like to have him around for two years with experience. But strictly from a passing perspective I would have given the ball to Martindale.

Junior Varsity

Hard to predict. Im sure Argyle's season will be fantastic, but with a region as loaded as this, they could go anywhere from a state championship to an early exit in the playoffs.
    If I was a betting man though, I'd put my money on Argyle.
    Brownwood Lions
    7 Time State Champions
    1960 1965 1967 1969 1970 1978 1981

All-American
    Blog Entries

Just counting the final numbers now......Argyle has suited 58 on the Varsity, 70 on the JV and JV Red teams, and 51 on the Freshman team this season. That looks like a healthy 179 players.....or thereabouts if one or two were missing. Also a coaching staff for football of 14......just to let you know for comparison. Argyle's official enrollment was 854......or should we be calling it an "unofficial, but counted" enrollment, LOL.

Starter

Quote Originally Posted by regaleagle View Post
    Just counting the final numbers now......Argyle has suited 58 on the Varsity, 70 on the JV and JV Red teams, and 51 on the Freshman team this season. That looks like a healthy 179 players.....or thereabouts if one or two were missing. Also a coaching staff for football of 14......just to let you know for comparison. Argyle's official enrollment was 854......or should we be calling it an "unofficial, but counted" enrollment, LOL.
    As someone who's seen 4A schools turn out triple-digit kids over the years, yes, that is impressive, but I've grown less impressed with numbers of players out for football. Can those kids really play, or are their daddies just making them turn out to make them men, or is peer pressure such that they feel compelled to turn out?

Kids who can actually play and provide depth are the coin of the realm and Argyle appears to have it in spades.
    24 down ... 24 to go.