Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    All-American
    Blog Entries

Default 147th Open Championship at Carnoustie, Scotland

They call it Carnasty because it's the most difficult of all the Open courses. Yep.....it's 1:30 am CDT here and I'm up watching the opening groups of the opening round of this year's Open Championship. I noticed they don't call it the British Open anymore......most of the venues are in the cradle of golf.....Scotland. The oldest tournament in golf and the oldest sport being competitively played still today.......all kinds of history and tradition in this sport. Very difficult game, but a great game for any individual to test his skills against the course and the elements. What can I say.......I'm addicted for a lifetime to this game, folks. I'm not gonna go into the details this week like I did a couple of weeks ago with the US OPEN........there's just too much to cover in this oldest Championship of the oldest sport still being played today. Let's just watch the action and make some posts when we want during this week's 4-day coverage. The play by play just about caused me to get cabin fever a couple of weeks ago, LOL.......I'm not really an indoors kind of guy for that kind of extended time. I'd never be able to live in a cold climate......I'd go stir crazy the first month. No telling who will win this week......the conditions are weird for Scotland this time of year.

BTW.......the family heritage on my father's side is almost full Scottish with a Family Crest and Shield and a village in Scotland that carries our family name. My ancestors were farmers and golfers......I wonder if they played with cows on the course, LOL.
    Yesterdays are gone forever and tomorrows may never happen, but today you have the opportunity to make a difference.

All-American
    Blog Entries

Looks like the #1, 2, and 5 players in the golf world did not make the cut......Dustin Johnson, Justin Thomas, and John Rahm from Spain. That's how they were ranked coming into tournament, but the rankings could change a little after this tournament.....just depends on whether some other top golfers like Jordan Speith or Justin Rose, or Rory McIlroy can win it. Rose barely made the cutline at +3......that was the cutline. Speith and Rickie Fowler are at -3, and McIlory is at -4. This is Mac's home turf.....he's from Scotland. Tony Finau is back at it having another good major at -5. Seems like the flat swingers are doing good......Zack Johnson's at -6 and Matt Kucher....last year's runner up to Speith....is at -4. Kevin Kisner was the first round leader, but double bogeyed the 18th today to drop back into a tie for the lead with Zack Johnson at -6. Lots of golfers bunched up near the lead for Saturday's "moving day".
    Yesterdays are gone forever and tomorrows may never happen, but today you have the opportunity to make a difference.

All-American
    Blog Entries

Tommy Fleetwood of England is back near the lead again this week at -5, and so is rookie American phemom Xander Shauffele. Tiger Woods made the cut at +2, but missed a short 7 footer for birdie on 18 to shoot another 71 today. Still anybody's tournament to win with so many golfers bunched up near the lead. The lead is at -6 and the cutline is at +3, so only 10 strokes difference from top to bottom with 2 rounds left.

All-American
    Blog Entries

If the weather becomes dicey and that wind starts blowing this weekend......there will be some big changes in the leaderboard, for sure. Driving is at a premium this week, the landing areas are not that wide and there's tall heather off the fairways. The fairways are lightning fast and crispy.....bad bounces and the wind could play havoc to tee shots this weekend. Then there's those pot bunkers in the fairways......they are deep and tough to hit out of.

All-American
    Blog Entries

I kinda like the flat swingers in this one......Zack Johnson and Matt Kucher. Look out for Fleetwood too.....he's been having a career year and shot the only clean round today without a bogey. 43 y.o. California native Pat Perez is having a great tournament too.....he's also among the leaders at -5. Don't count out Rory McIlroy either......this is his home country and he feels very "at home" playing here.
    Last edited by regaleagle; 07-21-2018 at 01:47 AM.

All-American
    Blog Entries

Looks like Tiger, Phil Mickelson and Jason Day all sit at Even par......earlier I said Tiger was a +2, but that's wrong. Even Bernhard Langer from the Senior Tour made the cut at +2 this year. Should be worth the watch this weekend to see all the big names still in this one.

All-American
    Blog Entries

I'm thinking donuts for tomorrow morning......and some chocolate milk. Shame on me!! But Yum Yum, Huh? All things in moderation.....as long as you don't overdo it. I'll "moderately" scarf down some serious donuts tomorrow, LOL.

All-American
    Blog Entries

Here's an easy recipe for your own "home-made" donuts. Just get a roll of Grands Country Style bisquits, not the flaky ones. Cut out a hole in the middle with a cap off one of your salad dressings in the frig....or if you have a donut cutter that's even better. About a half inch of vegetable oil in the cast iron skillet over low heat should do it. Be ready to turn them over in only a couple of minutes. Make the icing with lots of powdered sugar and just a very small amount of milk.....you have to really stir and work with it to get just the right thickness. Too thin and it runs off the donuts. Have the icing ready to go when the donuts are done.....make it in a large shallow bowl, preferably with a wide flat bottom. Dip one side into the bowl of icing and then set them on a platter. The left over icing you can keep handy to dip your donuts in if you want more icing on each bite. My son and I love these tasty delights of heavenly bliss. I can only eat 3 of them.....seriously!! Milk alongside is highly recommended, but water will help offset the sugar.

A small amount a milk means a VERY small amount of milk for the icing.....just enough to turn it into liquid form. Then stir the heck out of it and add more powdered sugar to get the right amount and consistency.
    Last edited by regaleagle; 07-21-2018 at 02:18 AM.

All-American
    Blog Entries

The simple things in life like home-made donuts out of the bisquit can should always be on everybody's short list of sinful breakfast menus, LOL. Now you have no excuse to enjoy one of life's simple pleasures......I gave you an easy recipe anybody can do.
    Last edited by regaleagle; 07-21-2018 at 02:38 AM.

All-American
    Blog Entries

I just had a brainstorm thought......I was wondering if perhaps the orange liquer we use with the margaritas would make a tasty substitute instead of milk for the icing. I'll have to try that out and see if they taste orangy.

All-American
    Blog Entries

Justin Rose of England....the world's #3 golfer in the standings this week.....just shot a 7 under par today w/no bogeys on his card for a perfect round of golf. He started the day just making the cutline at +3, and now he has climbed up that leaderboard on Saturday's "moving day. Justin Rose is on the leaderboard now and in the clubhouse at -4. He's got only Sunday's round left and will be paired much higher and later in tomorrow's teetimes.

All-American
    Blog Entries

Looks like the early teetimes today have gotten the benefit of a very docile wind condition and weather to play this course. The wind may begin to blow more as the leaders begin their rounds.

All-American
    Blog Entries

BTW.......the donuts are on the platter and 3 of them already missing......Yum Yum. You get 8 of them and 8 donut holes in one can of Grands Bisquits.

2013, 2015, 2016 3ADL FF Champ jason's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by regaleagle View Post
    McIlory is at -4. This is Mac's home turf.....he's from Scotland.
    McIlroy is from Northern Ireland

All-American
    Blog Entries

Tiger finishes the day with a 5 under 66 and is in definite contention on the leaderboard. Meanwhile......still on the course Jordan Spieth is charging up the leaderboard and is within one shot of the lead that is tied with Kisner and Zack Johnson. Kucher has fallen back today, but Alex Noren has also had a good day.....he's from South Africa. Yeah....Northern Ireland is where Mac is from.....but still very much the same kind of weather and golf courses as Scotland......links style with the wind and cold from the sea.....this time of the year.
    Last edited by regaleagle; 07-21-2018 at 12:21 PM.