Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    All-American

Quote Originally Posted by Aesculus gilmus View Post
    Well, the Gilmer coaches aren't stupid. They KNOW the problem is on defense and so extra emphasis is being given to this, I've been told.

They are going to field players who can run at least as fast as safeties typically can, if possible, even in the front seven.

Frankly, I don't know if this team has enough speed to be able to do that. But they'll give it their best shot and do better than expected, I hope.

One thing that hasn't changed is that every Buckeye team will go toe-to-toe with every opponent, no matter how gifted and talented the latter is, on every play of the game to the last whistle.

There's no quit in these guys and hasn't been for about 20 years now.

QB is a question mark to me on offense. He's probably better than I think. Again, I hope so. Everyone's rooting for him because of his late dad's story. I still miss the guy.

Gilmer has certainly always had the athletes to field a great defense. Seems like they've always spent them on offense, though, and, I suppose that's OK. Hopefully, you guys will get it figured out on that side of the ball this year and your new QB will have a lot of success. If that happens, look out.

I'd love to see Celina and Gilmer get a pre-district matchup going, especially now that we're not going to see each other in the postseason again. Maybe it'll happen.
    Texas Forever.

That night Pleasant Grove played us in Gilmer, it seemed to me as if the Buckeyes were going uphill and the Hawks downhill the entire game.
    I agree, but mostly because of excessive turnovers, penalties, and lack of defense.

After that game, I really didn't want to see a rematch either. I think they could have hung with Carthage definitely.
    We likely would've gotten beat again, but I still wanted to see it. I think we should've seen it. We have been extremely turnover prone the past three years. That trend needs to stop, too. They would've hung with Carthage for sure. Gilmer "could've" beaten both teams if not for turnovers even though we were overmatched talent-wise.

If Gilmer were ever to field an actual defense on a consistent basis, we could have Carthaginian greatness here, I believe.
    This is something I've been saying for years, even in the Traylor era. I've caught a LOT of flack over the years for saying it, too. I shutter to think of what could've been.

BTW, one of PG's best returning starters was going to Gilmer until a couple of years ago.

#40 Landon Jackson started as a 6'5" freshman last year. His mom still lives a few blocks from Traylor Stadium, I've heard.
    Do you know why? Is he living with his dad?

Gilmer is now winning based on the strength and tradition of the program. It's the other schools IMO who are more into recruiting (not necessarily illegally either just as it was never proven to me that anything Gilmer was doing under Traylor was illegal; people just wanted to play for the Buckeyes).
    Tradition can only carry you so much. You have to have good coaching and good talent. Gilmer has always had talent, even when they weren't winning. Those "other schools" usually get a pass because they don't win consistently. We are a high profile school with a winning tradition that will bring out the haters if we have a move in, especially players with an already established high profile. Does "recruiting" happen? Absolutely. It's been happening. The majority of recruiting happens in the inner city and suburban communities, but goes unnoticed because it is standard practice. Nobody knows where anybody of the kids come from and they usually don't ask questions if the "rules" are followed.

As for our defense, or lack thereof, we haven't had the size we used to consistently have. I do, however, see a lot of size with decent speed sitting on the sidelines when the defense is playing. You have to have some size on the D-line or else you're going to get pushed around. Speed is not as important as strength on the line. We have been getting pushed around on defense for the better part of 20 years. It's well past time for some major changes on that side of the ball. The offense is fine, always has been, except for the turnovers over the past three seasons. That is fixable.
    Last edited by waterboy; 06-20-2018 at 08:42 AM.
    "Kaizen"

".......offense wins games, but DEFENSE wins championships!"

P.R.I.D.E.

Gilmer Buckeyes -State Champions:

2004 3A - Division II
    2009 3A - Division I
    2014 4A - Division II
    2023 4A - Division II

Aesculus gilmus, why do think there has been an exodus of players instead of retention and/or influx the last couple of years? I know the reason, but I'm just curious as to whether you know.

FWIW, I think the team this year will be as good, if not a little better overall than last season. I think they will have less of the "entitled" attitude, and play more as a team. I just don't know if the talent is there to be a real contender. I think Cade Camp will be very good at QB, and less mistake prone. The only knock on him is he can't run like Poppy could.
    "Kaizen"

P.R.I.D.E.

2004 3A - Division II
    2009 3A - Division I
    2014 4A - Division II
    2023 4A - Division II

All-American

I have no idea. My guess would be a great deal of it would be related to the fact Jeff Traylor hasn't been there since 2014.

Whether you love him or hate him (and a lot of people even around here didn't really like him and took it out on him at the bond election polls), he was just so charismatic that people wanted to play for him.

As for your other question, the PG star lives with his dad, who is 6'10" IIRC, now. I don't remember why the mom still lives here if she does. I think the parents are still a couple. This is all secondhand info from "a source close to the program."
    Last edited by Aesculus gilmus; 06-20-2018 at 09:20 AM.

All-American

I have no idea. My guess would be a great deal of it would be related to the fact Jeff Traylor hasn't been there since 2014.

Whether you love him or hate him (and a lot of people even around here didn't really like him and took it out on him at the bond election polls), he was just so charismatic that people wanted to play for him.

As for your other question, the PG star lives with his dad, who is 6'10" IIRC, now. I don't remember why the mom still lives here if she does. I think the parents are still a couple. This is all secondhand info from "a source close to the program."

Being sans-Traylor certainly has an effect on Gilmer. Just like Carthage would/will suffer the day Surratt is no longer in the red and white. I mean, Alabama will cease to be Alabama when Saban finally gets ready to hang it up. That's just the way it goes.

But, still, even without Traylor, Gilmer has been to a pair of semifinals and the Region II semis (a very good, deep region, at that). Not terrible.
    Texas Forever.

I talk to some of the parents of the kids in the program regularly. It's much more political now that Jeff is gone, which leads to other problems I won't go into on a public board. It certainly hasn't helped in that the program has lost a LOT of the coaches that were successful here.

There will always be those people that hate people who are successful. I never got that, especially when it's a good thing that brings the community together. The "bond election", to me at least, wasn't about football. It was about the cost per square foot analysis that left me scratching my head. It was double what it cost to build other schools in the area. If they would've given the voters a chance to voice their opinions about the left over monies from the bond election that actually did pass earlier, I think the people would've voted "FOR". Jeff didn't play politics, which is one of the many reasons he had the success he had. The players knew that they HAD to perform, follow team rules, etc., or they could lose their spot in the line up.

Is he any kin to Rebel from the '80s? I don't look for PG to have nearly the team they had last season, and I think he would get more recognition playing for Gilmer, but I digress...
    Last edited by waterboy; 06-20-2018 at 11:08 AM.
    "Kaizen"

P.R.I.D.E.

2004 3A - Division II
    2009 3A - Division I
    2014 4A - Division II
    2023 4A - Division II

All-American

Not kin to Rebel. And, yeah, I can believe that other stuff you wrote. I also think that football at all levels is declining in popularity.

All-American

Not kin to Rebel. And, yeah, I can believe that other stuff you wrote. I also think that football at all levels is declining in popularity.

I keep hearing that, but, football remains well ahead of everything else.
    Texas Forever.

What will be really interesting, is seeing how Gilmer will respond after losing their first game of the season for the first time in 20 years. I wonder how they will respond to this issue.
    Atlanta Rabbits
    District Champs: 41, 45, 46, 47, 49, 50, 51, 53, 54, 57, 64, 66, 68, 70, 77, 78, 90, 91, 92, 94, 95, 98, 99, 01, 02, 03, 06
    Bi-District Champs: 48, 64, 77, 92, 94, 95, 98, 99, 01, 02, 03, 06, 12, 13, 14, 15
    Area Champs: 92, 94, 99, 03, 14, 15
    Regional Champs: 64, 92, 94, 99, 02, 03, 14, 15
    QF, SF Champs: 94, 03
    State Champs: 03

All-American

Quote Originally Posted by H3llR4z0r View Post
    What will be really interesting, is seeing how Gilmer will respond after losing their first game of the season for the first time in 20 years. I wonder how they will respond to this issue.

Well, hey there, H3ll. I tripped out for a second when I read your post, thought I had ended up on the other forum.

I'm sure folks around Atlanta are excited for this upcoming season. They're going to be a very, very tough out for the 3A folks this year. I expect they'll give Gilmer all they can handle week one, too. If the Rabbits come out of their tough pre-district schedule healthy (doesn't matter what w/l totals are), then they'll be playing well into December. They'd be one of my picks to be in Jerry World.
    Texas Forever.

Quote Originally Posted by d0tc0m View Post
    Well, hey there, H3ll. I tripped out for a second when I read your post, thought I had ended up on the other forum.

I'm sure folks around Atlanta are excited for this upcoming season. They're going to be a very, very tough out for the 3A folks this year. I expect they'll give Gilmer all they can handle week one, too. If the Rabbits come out of their tough pre-district schedule healthy (doesn't matter what w/l totals are), then they'll be playing well into December. They'd be one of my picks to be in Jerry World.
    Haha I'm glad someone got a kick, because that's the only kicking that will be done until Atlanta takes that ride into G-town to deliver theirs

But all jokes aside, I do look for that to be a good game. Atlanta gave Gilmer all they wanted last year, just short of us not making any extra points or 2pt conversions. Funny thing is, our kicker went 8/8 the next Friday night. I'm ready for this streak to end.
    Atlanta Rabbits
    District Champs: 41, 45, 46, 47, 49, 50, 51, 53, 54, 57, 64, 66, 68, 70, 77, 78, 90, 91, 92, 94, 95, 98, 99, 01, 02, 03, 06
    Bi-District Champs: 48, 64, 77, 92, 94, 95, 98, 99, 01, 02, 03, 06, 12, 13, 14, 15

All-District

By the time the championship game rolled around Carthage would’ve run PG off the field. You guys are crazy. Did you not see those 230 lbs LB shut down the #1 rushing attack in the nation on FSSW in Jerry’s World. Same goes for Gilmer. I wish we would’ve met up in the playoffs. All of this “could’ve” beaten Carthage would be over. It would’ve looked like the Silsbee game.

Y’all need to put some respect on Carthage 2017. That might have been the best 4a team to ever play. By far the best team Carthage ever had. That is out of Surratt’s own mouth.

All-American

Quote Originally Posted by Dawgs View Post
    By the time the championship game rolled around Carthage would’ve run PG off the field. You guys are crazy. Did you not see those 230 lbs LB shut down the #1 rushing attack in the nation on FSSW in Jerry’s World. Same goes for Gilmer. I wish we would’ve met up in the playoffs. All of this “could’ve” beaten Carthage would be over. It would’ve looked like the Silsbee game.

Y’all need to put some respect on Carthage 2017. That might have been the best 4a team to ever play.

PG > Kennedale. By a lot.
    Texas Forever.

All-District

Quote Originally Posted by d0tc0m View Post
    PG > Kennedale. By a lot.
    Easy to say that. Comparing the WOS scores it doesn’t look like that. Say they both improved at the same rate. You guys are reaching if you think PG “a lot” better then Kennedale. There is nothing that points to that.
    Last edited by Dawgs; 06-20-2018 at 12:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dawgs View Post
    Easy to say that. Comparing the WOS scores it doesn’t look like that. Say they both improved at the same rate. You guys are reaching if you think PG “a lot” better then Kennedale. There is nothing that points to that.
    As an unbiased person, actually probably more biased towards Carthage, beings my classmate coaches there, it would have been a good game. Do I think Carthage would have won? Yes. I however, without a doubt, feel like PG would have beat Kennedale healthily. Kennedale was a very undisciplined team, and it showed when they posted videos talking smack about Carthage the week before the state championship. PG was probably the most disciplined team I saw all last year, and I saw Carthage 3 times. Carthage has the best coaching staff in Texas, that's where I give them the clear upper hand. They had better linebackers, PG had the better D-line. Carthage had the better running back, but I feel like PG's offense was more dynamic. PG's secondary was also really good. I believe that Carthage would have won due to preparation, and sheer overall talent, but I do think it would have been a 2 score or less game.
    Atlanta Rabbits