Page 2 of 35 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    All-American
    Blog Entries

Of course......the World's Number One Dustin Johnson can drive it long, but has also developed his short game and putting to be a serious contender and a favorite to win this Open. Justin Thomas is this year's leader in the FedEx Cup points on Tour and is always a favorite.....he held the Number One spot in the World Golf Rankings until Johnson's win last week. Speith has had issues with his putting this season......I don't look for him to solve his mental block this week......but he has been improving his driving and his iron play to the greens is superb. Maybe the difficulty factor of the greens will play into his favor this week......he does have an uncanny touch and that's what will be required on these greens this week.
    Yesterdays are gone forever and tomorrows may never happen, but today you have the opportunity to make a difference.

All-American
    Blog Entries

Rickie Fowler should do well with his overall abilities on this type of difficult golf course and his short game being excellent.....we'll see what happens. Tiger Woods is still a big question mark at this point, but has recently shown positive strides in getting most of his game back. There are so many variables in play here......and so many really talented golfers that could contend......I think those players that can make lots of pars and some birdies to help offset the bogies and doulble bogies will put themselves ahead of the rest of the field. The wind will become a major factor in
    determining how the players will choose to play each hole
    Yesterdays are gone forever and tomorrows may never happen, but today you have the opportunity to make a difference.

All-American
    Blog Entries

Phil Michelson, Jordan Speith, and Rory McIlroy will be paired together with an early tee-off time of 7:02 AM Central time beginning on the 10th hole.
    Last edited by regaleagle; 06-14-2018 at 05:48 AM.

All-American
    Blog Entries

Looks like the early weather reports are winds blowing steady at 12-14 mph now, but may gust later much higher. The weather is sunny after yesterday's rain that softened the course setup. Early teetimes should benefit as expected in this first round of play. Forecast is for midday wind conditions to gust to around 30 mph. In golf.....high winds are a golfer's nemesis moreso than any other weather condition.

All-American
    Blog Entries

The pairings for the first two rounds should prove to be interesting......that's the way they like to grab the interest of the golf fans. Not all pairings are interesting, but they try to pair some of the high profile players together according to stats or type of player or country of origin, and even according to the players' finishes so far this year.

All-American
    Blog Entries

Not sure if I even want to go out today and tomorrow to deal with customers that have hail-damaged roofs.....being this is US OPEN week and Father's Day Weekend. I'm the boss, so I have earned certain privileges that I can give myself......even though I'm the leader for the rest of the men. They will just have to do without me today and this weekend, LOL.

All-American
    Blog Entries

Seems like Justin Rose of England is being picked by so many golf analysts this week......he's getting alot of attention for his play this season. He's always had great iron play, can hit the ball high, and has a great temperment.....but his putting has now improved so much that he has to be considered as a real favorite this week.

All-American
    Blog Entries

Staying out of trouble and averting making a HUGE number on a hole early in this tournament will be a key to doing well and making the cutline come Friday evening. It's so easy to lose your chance early in this type of course and condition. Controlling shots and maintaining pars is the name of the game today and the entire tournament.....without giving up a huge number on a hole or two. A huge number is defined in PGA terms as triple bogey or more on a hole. A couple of those could put most of the field ahead of you, unless you erase the deficit with some birdies too.

All-American
    Blog Entries

Rickie Fowler and Jason Day go off early today too......at 7:13 CT. These are great tee times to start this Major US Open. I believe the tee times are drawn like a lottery for the pairings.......everything has to be done in as fair a way as possible without any intervention from outside sources.

All-American

Like you, regal, I love golf. It's such a fascinating game. And, being a writer, I love how naturally poetic the sport is. It's like baseball in that it just writes well and lends itself to more poetic prose, much more so than football or basketball or soccer of any of the other sports.

I'm jazzed for this US Open, as well. I just love the US Open because of how much it requires the golfers to just grind out four rounds of often less-than-ideal conditions, long holes and the need for creativity. Golf is really fun right now in that there is a ton of parity, and we've had a revival of some of the greats like Tiger and Phil. Those are the two I'd love to see win this thing. Tiger, I think, has a legitimate shot at this simply because of how long he is off the tee and how creative he can get with his short game. If he finds his putter this weekend, he's my pick. Phil, sadly, I think has missed his window for a US Open title and a career grand slam. As he's gotten older, the US Open just no longer fits his game anymore. His short game will always be one of the very best, and I think, because of that, he can hang around and 'contend' on Sunday. But, ultimately, I just don't think he's got the power left to give himself those birdie chances on the long Par-4's, or eagle looks on long Par-5's. Phil turns 48 on Saturday. So, if he can capture some kind of magic this weekend, he'd be the oldest to ever win the US Open.
    Texas Forever.

2013, 2015, 2016 3ADL FF Champ jason's Avatar

I took Day as my #1 in a draft kings. Was high on Rose but figured his ownership would be high in our league.

On a side note - I (finally) broke 70 a few weeks ago. Been playing golf over 20 years and finally hit that goal. Next golf goals on the list are a 1 and a bogey-free round.

All-American
    Blog Entries

Great card Jason......I've had 2 hole in one's in my life and my lowest round ever is a 69 many years ago in my mid-30s. Keep playing.....you'll get your hole in one.

All-American
    Blog Entries

I remember one round in particular I had where I shot a 42 on the front nine and had 5 birdies in a row on the back nine to shoot one over for the round. Golf is just an unbelievable sport. I've hit in eagles from the fairway, and just missed a double eagle on a "short" par 5 before. It's just a great game......especially if you have honed your skills at an early age. I can still hit it pretty darn good for a man my age.....but I never have looked or been my age, LOL. The newer equipment nowadays really helps.

All-American
    Blog Entries

Looks like the early finishers today with the early teetimes didn't do so well, Huh? One under par by Scott Piercy is leading the way so far.....and now the afternoon teetimes are beginning to tee off now. A marquee pairing of Tiger Woods, Dustin Johnson, and Justin Thomas is teeing off next at close to 12 midday.

All-American

Quote Originally Posted by regaleagle View Post
    Looks like the early finishers today with the early teetimes didn't do so well, Huh? One under par by Scott Piercy is leading the way so far.....and now the afternoon teetimes are beginning to tee off now. A marquee pairing of Tiger Woods, Dustin Johnson, and Justin Thomas is teeing off next at close to 12 midday.

Afternoon is going to get even more difficult. The sun and the wind is gonna harden and dry those green complexes out and make them speedy, speedy, speedy.
    Texas Forever.