From the Brazosport Facts
AUSTIN — As the only senior on the Argyle Eagles baseball squad, starting pitcher Bryson Hudgens pitched a gem against the Sweeny Bulldogs in the UIL Class 4A State Baseball championship game on Thursday enroute to a 5-0 shutout at UFCU Disch-Falk Field.

Hudgens did what no other baseball team along the playoff route which was hold the Bulldogs to just two hits in the game. The first eight batters were all groundouts for Sweeny (35-6) as Quinton Martin and Cord Filipp were the only ones to tag him for hits.

“Normally it will take us a few innings especially against good pitching that we saw tonight,” Sweeny first year coach Mark Durham said. “It might takes us a few innings to get the timing down, and I thought we would be the ones to put up a crooked number in the third or fourth inning. But the wheels kind of came off a bit in the sixth.”

Hudgens who was voted the most valuable player for the game had three strikeouts, no walks and a hit batsman throwing only 73 pitches.

“The guy they had going today, he just kept us off balance and you will not win to many games with two hits,” Durham said. “Defense kept us in the game along with Ty Ringo, you can’t ask much more of that senior. It had been our MO, we normally have a big inning, but today they did that to us. That is baseball, I can’t say enough about these guys, they just made it easy for me.”

In that top of the sixth frame, leadoff batter Brenden Dixon sent a shot over Martin in right field which went all the way to the wall. After the relay by Martin which got to shortstop Caden Homniok, Durham thought they had a shot at Dixon going to third.

“You know I was telling my coach, when the ball went to right field, I was hoping he would go because Quinton has a great arm,” Durham said. “He hit the cutoff and Cayden, bless his heart, he sailed one into the dugout, but again that is baseball and we would not be here without Cayden. Mistakes will happen and we just tried staying positive despite that inning.”

With a 1-0 lead with Dixon scoring, Chad Ricker then singled to left field with one out. Another single this one by Dillon Carter placed runners on first and second. Then came the big blow from Hudgens with his double to right field to bring in both runners, 3-0.

Ringo was replaced by Kiddy, who hit his first batter and then walked Austin King to load them up. Another walk by Kiddy scored another run and then Cade Merka the No. 9 hitter singled to to make it 5-0.

Argyle who finished 37-0 for the season claims its second state title in its baseball program.

Sweeny’s Filipp broke an eight batter groundout run with his single in the bottom of the third with two outs. But he was left standing on first after Homniok’s flout to center field.

The only other hit was to Martin in the fourth as he also singled with two outs with his shot going to center field. But Hudgens then caught Benavides with a strikeout to end Martin at second base.

Defensively early on the Bulldogs again showed its leather coming up with some big catches to stave off those Eagles effort.

This was the Bulldogs first trip to the state tournament since 2012 and the first to a final since winning it all in 1985.

“That is amazing which is a tribute to coaching staff, these kids and five seniors that we have,” Durham said. “I can’t say enough about the community support, administration and it has been an amazing ride and I would not trade it for the world. We hope to be back here next year.”

That just might happen and possibly these two teams going at it again with only senior starters Ringo and Jaden Bohlar leaving.

Argyle of course is only losing one senior off its squad.