All-American

Default Sweeny baseball team story

From Brazosport Facts
    AUSTIN — Big-time players always step up at the right moment and in Sweeny’s 3-0 shutout of Godley in the UIL Class 4A state semifinals Wednesday, the Bulldogs had no shortage of spectacular plays to prevail at UFCU Disch-Falk Field.

“I told the guys, ‘you deserve to be in the championship tomorrow because you made plays like that,’” Sweeny coach Mark Durham said. “I mean that is as good as it gets anywhere in the country. Blake (Benavides) laying out, and I told (Nathan) Nance that ‘I didn’t know you could play like that up the middle.’ He just said that ‘coach, I’ve been doing it all year long.’ He is amazing at shortstop and he made an error earlier in the game off a funky hop, but he surely made up for it. That is our team, somebody finds a way to make a play.”

Durham was talking about Benavides’ play in center field with one out and runners on first and second base in the bottom of the sixth. Will Bucholz got a hold of a Caden Homniok pitch toward the gap in center field and as the ball was going away, Benavides laid out and made the catch.

sHominok then came back and got Brendan Davis to line out to right field and Quinton Martin also made a big catch.

In the bottom of the seventh, though Benavides’ play was spectacular, Nance, who was playing shortstop, robbed leadoff batter Nick Menchaca of a sure hit up the middle as he covered the ground and made the play look easy.

“It has been how we’ve been doing things. We will put up a crooked number in one of those seven innings and hopefully it is big enough to pull out the victory at the end of the day,” Durham said.

The victory for the Bulldogs (35-5) puts them back at Disch-Falk for a 6:30 p.m. championship game against the No. 1-ranked Argyle Eagles (36-0) today.

“We are going to get that title,” Sweeny first baseman Jaden Bohlar said. “I am so confident in our team right now that we deserve this title. We are going to give Argyle their first loss on the loss column.”

Bohlar, one of five seniors on the team, was another who came through at the right time. Leading 1-0 in the top of the fourth, Martin walked and Ty Ringo turned a sacrifice bunt into an infield hit when the ball bounced off Godley starter Brett Brown’s glove, allowing Ringo to reach first base.

With one out, Bohlar came to the plate and on an 0-2 count, lined a shot to the gap in left field.

“Jaden stung the first one, hit it right at the left fielder and in his second at-bat, just clobbered it,” Durham said. “That is all we needed. Caden was lights out and then we bring in Ty (Ringo), our senior, who closed it out. I don’t think you could have drawn it up any better.”

Bohlar’s first at-bat was a lineout to the shortstop, who actually took a hit away with a jumping snag.

“I just picked up his fast ball pretty easy, and in my first at-bat I got a hold of it,” Bohlar said. “So I knew I was going to get a hold of it the second time. I just wanted him to throw me another one, and he did, and I took it to the left-center gap.”

That scored two for a 3-0 lead and with Homniok on the mound, it was enough. The junior made it through the second batter of the seventh frame for the Wildcats before running out of pitches.

“I tell you, I don’t know if there is another word in the dictionary I can use to describe him in reference to baseball, gritty, gutsy — Caden is just unbelievable, unbelievable,” Durham said.

Homniok battled with himself and the 100-degree heat on the turf.

“In the fourth inning, the heat started getting to me. I was starting to get out of the zone on my pitches more than in the first three innings,” Homniok said. “They got a few runners in scoring position, but I didn’t allow that to get to me. I just went up there throwing and didn’t worry about the runners.”

He finished with a four-hit shutout with two walks and seven strikeouts to improve to 12-1 on the year.

“Every time Homniok has pitched, we feel comfortable that we will get the W,” Bohlar said.

Sweeny took a 1-0 lead in the third as Nance led it off with an infield hit up the middle. With two outs and Nance at second base, Ringo got an infield hit to the shortstop who tried to make a play to first base and over threw it, allowing Nance to walk in.

The Wildcats could never figure out Homniok, or Ringo when he took over, as they stranded nine runners on base.

Sweeny finished with seven hits as Homniok, Ringo, Benavides, Joe Effenberger, Bohlar, Nance and Filipp each came up with one.

“I am telling you, I cannot describe it and in my wildest dreams I never thought I’d be standing here one win away from a state title,” Durham said. “I know that as soon as we leave this place, I may want to come back. This is an awesome feeling.”

Ringo will get the ball against Argyle according to Durham.

Quote Originally Posted by Scoop27 View Post
    From Brazosport Facts
    AUSTIN — Big-time players always step up at the right moment and in Sweeny’s 3-0 shutout of Godley in the UIL Class 4A state semifinals Wednesday, the Bulldogs had no shortage of spectacular plays to prevail at UFCU Disch-Falk Field.

“I told the guys, ‘you deserve to be in the championship tomorrow because you made plays like that,’” Sweeny coach Mark Durham said. “I mean that is as good as it gets anywhere in the country. Blake (Benavides) laying out, and I told (Nathan) Nance that ‘I didn’t know you could play like that up the middle.’ He just said that ‘coach, I’ve been doing it all year long.’ He is amazing at shortstop and he made an error earlier in the game off a funky hop, but he surely made up for it. That is our team, somebody finds a way to make a play.”

Durham was talking about Benavides’ play in center field with one out and runners on first and second base in the bottom of the sixth. Will Bucholz got a hold of a Caden Homniok pitch toward the gap in center field and as the ball was going away, Benavides laid out and made the catch.

sHominok then came back and got Brendan Davis to line out to right field and Quinton Martin also made a big catch.

In the bottom of the seventh, though Benavides’ play was spectacular, Nance, who was playing shortstop, robbed leadoff batter Nick Menchaca of a sure hit up the middle as he covered the ground and made the play look easy.

“It has been how we’ve been doing things. We will put up a crooked number in one of those seven innings and hopefully it is big enough to pull out the victory at the end of the day,” Durham said.

The victory for the Bulldogs (35-5) puts them back at Disch-Falk for a 6:30 p.m. championship game against the No. 1-ranked Argyle Eagles (36-0) today.

“We are going to get that title,” Sweeny first baseman Jaden Bohlar said. “I am so confident in our team right now that we deserve this title. We are going to give Argyle their first loss on the loss column.

Bohlar, one of five seniors on the team, was another who came through at the right time. Leading 1-0 in the top of the fourth, Martin walked and Ty Ringo turned a sacrifice bunt into an infield hit when the ball bounced off Godley starter Brett Brown’s glove, allowing Ringo to reach first base.

With one out, Bohlar came to the plate and on an 0-2 count, lined a shot to the gap in left field.

“Jaden stung the first one, hit it right at the left fielder and in his second at-bat, just clobbered it,” Durham said. “That is all we needed. Caden was lights out and then we bring in Ty (Ringo), our senior, who closed it out. I don’t think you could have drawn it up any better.”

Bohlar’s first at-bat was a lineout to the shortstop, who actually took a hit away with a jumping snag.

“I just picked up his fast ball pretty easy, and in my first at-bat I got a hold of it,” Bohlar said. “So I knew I was going to get a hold of it the second time. I just wanted him to throw me another one, and he did, and I took it to the left-center gap.”

That scored two for a 3-0 lead and with Homniok on the mound, it was enough. The junior made it through the second batter of the seventh frame for the Wildcats before running out of pitches.

“I tell you, I don’t know if there is another word in the dictionary I can use to describe him in reference to baseball, gritty, gutsy — Caden is just unbelievable, unbelievable,” Durham said.

Homniok battled with himself and the 100-degree heat on the turf.

“In the fourth inning, the heat started getting to me. I was starting to get out of the zone on my pitches more than in the first three innings,” Homniok said. “They got a few runners in scoring position, but I didn’t allow that to get to me. I just went up there throwing and didn’t worry about the runners.”

He finished with a four-hit shutout with two walks and seven strikeouts to improve to 12-1 on the year.

“Every time Homniok has pitched, we feel comfortable that we will get the W,” Bohlar said.

Sweeny took a 1-0 lead in the third as Nance led it off with an infield hit up the middle. With two outs and Nance at second base, Ringo got an infield hit to the shortstop who tried to make a play to first base and over threw it, allowing Nance to walk in.

The Wildcats could never figure out Homniok, or Ringo when he took over, as they stranded nine runners on base.

Sweeny finished with seven hits as Homniok, Ringo, Benavides, Joe Effenberger, Bohlar, Nance and Filipp each came up with one.

“I am telling you, I cannot describe it and in my wildest dreams I never thought I’d be standing here one win away from a state title,” Durham said. “I know that as soon as we leave this place, I may want to come back. This is an awesome feeling.”

Ringo will get the ball against Argyle according to Durham.
    Good luck with that. It's not impossible, just not likely.
    "Kaizen"

".......offense wins games, but DEFENSE wins championships!"

P.R.I.D.E.

Gilmer Buckeyes -State Champions:

2004 3A - Division II
    2009 3A - Division I
    2014 4A - Division II
    2023 4A - Division II

All-American
    Blog Entries

It's baseball and it's one game to decide it all. There's a good reason Argyle hasn't lost a game all season long, and there's a reason Sweeny has lost 5 games this season.....as good as they are. I'm not saying Argyle will win or that Sweeny can't win it today.......I'm just saying Argyle has the advantage here with a better overall mix on their team. I think it will come down to hitting again.....and pitching too like always......but the difference will happen on offense, IMO. It's difficult to defense against good clean hits, a strong lineup top to bottom at the plate, AND quality defense and pitching in the field. If both teams are relatively clean in the field, key hits with RISP and quality pitching to leave runners stranded are the two key factors to look for in the outcome of this title game. I think both teams will be able to generate some offense and base runners off the pitching. Both teams play outstanding defense. Look for key hits with RISP, or a strikeout when it is needed to be the difference. I think this game will be close.....I don't believe either team will pull away from the other by more than a couple of runs without an answer back. Good Luck to both teams......it should be a very exciting game to see.

ONE GAME.......TO BE PERFECT!!! GO EAGLES!!!
    Last edited by regaleagle; 06-07-2018 at 12:43 PM.
    Yesterdays are gone forever and tomorrows may never happen, but today you have the opportunity to make a difference.