All-American

Default Sweeny baseball team story

From the Brazosport Facts
    SWEENY — They don’t get the plaudits they deserve because they don’t pitch gems on the mound or hit deep home runs at the plate, but the courtesy runner is an important position in high school baseball, especially for the state Class 4A semifinalist Sweeny Bulldogs.

Mark Schumann, Cody Kotrla and C.J. Avants have filled that role for the Bulldogs this season and have provided both a spark on the base paths and scored some game-deciding runs.

“They are extremely important,” Sweeny coach Mark Durham said. “From the catcher’s standpoint, he gets to get off the base, he gets to get his gear back on, he gets to catch his breath. To have guys that are smart that we can put out there and know the situations and have some wheels, those guys are pretty fast. They are extremely important to have on the bases.

“It is just another spot for them to get on the field. Any time we can get everybody on the field is a plus. These guys, C.J., Cody and Mark, they thrive in that role. They do a good job on the bases for us and they are vital for what we do.”

Courtesy runners can take the place of the pitcher or catcher on the basepaths, allowing not only those players time to recover before going back on defense, but also providing fresh legs to run the bases.

None of the three have many at-bats, but Kotrla has scored 20 runs this season. The other two have scored 10 runs combined, but they have come up with some big ones while allowing Sweeny pitchers to regroup in the dugout.

“For most of the year, Cody has been the courtesy runner for Wes Folse, our catcher,” Durham said. “It just depends on who is pitching. Most of the time, I use them with two outs. With the catcher, I will use him with less than two outs. For those guys to have an opportunity to play, it means everything to me and the program and to them, I know.”

Running for Folse, a .341 hitter, has given Kotrla plenty of opportunities to run the bases. He scored the winning run in the Bulldogs’ decisive Game 3 victory against Fredericksburg that clinched their berth in this week’s state tournament.

“I courtesy run for Wes and he usually gets on all the time,” Kotrla said. “So I just go out there and run and do my job. I never really got any butterflies until that last game, and I ended up scoring the winning run.”

Not only do the Bulldog courtesy runners know their role, but they also thrive in the pressure situations, as well as the anticipation of getting their opportunities.

“We don’t want our pitchers or catchers to get too tired,” Schumann said. “I am decently fast, I guess, and I am smart on the bases. Sometimes you get nervous depending on how close the ballgame is.”

The Bulldogs open the state tournament against Godley at 4 p.m. Wednesday.

Win and they advance to the state title game. Lose and a remarkable season comes up just short.

With every run being important this week, the courtesy runners know how big their roles are on the biggest stage in high school baseball.

“It is a major role,” Avants said. “They trust you to go in there and run for your team.

“They expect you to make the right choices and run hard every time. Every time you are on the basepaths, you know you have to score.”

All-State

Are you going to get to make it to the games?

It's a pretty cool thing to get to watch your team play for a title, even if they fall short.
    Rockets Never Quit!

All-American

No-I won't be making it to the tournament but I'll be posting game updates

All-American

Quote Originally Posted by Scoop27 View Post
    No-I won't be making it to the tournament but I'll be posting game updates
    You can get vidio streams of all the tourny games here :

http://www.nfhsnetwork.com/associations/uil

Stink on stink , low man wins = Ricebird football.

Letterman

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Man View Post
    Are you going to get to make it to the games?

It's a pretty cool thing to get to watch your team play for a title, even if they fall short.
    Oh Lord....Rocket man....please don’t associate Sweeny as being Scoop’s “team.”

He hates us.

All-State

Quote Originally Posted by Crow22 View Post
    Oh Lord....Rocket man....please don’t associate Sweeny as being Scoop’s “team.”

He hates us.
    As Johnny Carson used to say, “I did my know that!”
    Rockets Never Quit!

All-American

I' ve posted scoring updates throughout the playoff games

All-State

Quote Originally Posted by Scoop27 View Post
    I' ve posted scoring updates throughout the playoff games
    Yes you have, I’ve appreciated it too!

I wish there were more baseball fans on here.
    Rockets Never Quit!