Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Top 10 4a Dl

All-District

Quote Originally Posted by d0tc0m View Post
    Region II is absolutely filthy this year. Toughest region by far in 4A. Whoever comes out of that gauntlet is gonna be a juggernaut. And I know Carthage, Henderson, Kilgore folks will say they are the District of Doom, but, for my dollar, District 7 is top-to-bottom the actual DoD this year, and District 5 is a close second. I mean, if Celina had stayed DII, they'd be my pick to make it to the state title game. But, with the bump up into DI and a very deep district, I think they'll have to come along way and fight their tales off just to make it three rounds deep. I could see them going into the playoffs anywhere from a two- to a four-seed.
    Agree. RII is crazy. And I agree about D7. With that said I think a D10 team plays in the state title game. Carthage, Kilgore, or Henderson will have a fairly easy run on their side of the bracket, unless LH or EC makes a run. This is going to be a fun year. I think there is legit 10-12 teams that can win it all in D1 this year. Last year it was always gonna be Carthage, LV, or Argyle (with a healthy QB). This year I think it’s wide open.

All-American

Quote Originally Posted by Dawgs View Post
    Agree. RII is crazy. And I agree about D7. With that said I think a D10 team plays in the state title game. Carthage, Kilgore, or Henderson will have a fairly easy run on their side of the bracket, unless LH or EC makes a run. This is going to be a fun year. I think there is legit 10-12 teams that can win it all in D1 this year. Last year it was always gonna be Carthage, LV, or Argyle (with a healthy QB). This year I think it’s wide open.

I'd say there's a high probability a D10 team plays for the title. And, if I were a betting man, I'd say two D10 teams will play each other for the Region III title, too. I do really like LH coming into this year. It's felt like they've been building back towards their 2006-08 swagger a bit, and I think they've got a good group and some heavy hitters to make at least a semifinal appearance this fall. But, perhaps another Region IV will surprise. Boerne should still be decent, and I think Sealy will be improved, too.
    Texas Forever.

All-State

Quote Originally Posted by d0tc0m View Post
    You'll always have 2006, Rocket. Twas only 12 years ago.
    Yes, yes I will.......thanks for the reminder, it made me smile.

It's nice to know someone else remembers.
    Rockets Never Quit!

2013, 2015, 2016 3ADL FF Champ jason's Avatar

Stephenville has some holes to fill and could be the best 0-5 team in the state headed into district...

Argyle
    Abilene Wylie
    Midlothian Heritage
    Everman
    Georgetown

Quote Originally Posted by jason View Post
    Stephenville has some holes to fill and could be the best 0-5 team in the state headed into district...

Argyle
    Abilene Wylie
    Midlothian Heritage
    Everman
    Georgetown
    Who is Stephenvilles qb? I know yall return a lot on both sides.
    1stand10

All-American
    Blog Entries

Melissa will be tough this year......they have lots of seasoned returners and very good athletes coming back. Their program is plenty mature now.
    Yesterdays are gone forever and tomorrows may never happen, but today you have the opportunity to make a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by regaleagle View Post
    Melissa will be tough this year......they have lots of seasoned returners and very good athletes coming back. Their program is plenty mature now.
    My gut tells me Argyle and Melissa slug it out for the dist title, but you can never count out Celina of course. If Celina can get a passing game going they will be in the mix for sure.
    1stand10

All-American

Quote Originally Posted by orange machine View Post
    My gut tells me Argyle and Melissa slug it out for the dist title, but you can never count out Celina of course. If Celina can get a passing game going they will be in the mix for sure.

Celina will be much improved from last year. Lots of good pieces coming back. Lots of good pieces coming up from a very good JV to fill some holes. The Bobcats will have more size in spots where they needed size last year. We'll be veteran in spots and young in others, so there will be some growth that has to happen up front. But, like OM said, if the Bobcats have developed a passing game, then look out.
    Texas Forever.

All-American

Getting to this point, though, I think Melissa will open the season as the district favorite. With what they have coming back, it'd be hard not to make them the favorites. I'd rank District 7 — right now, on June 6 — in this order:

Melissa
    Argyle
    Celina
    Paris
    Sanger
    Anna
    Paris North Lamar

But, we've got a long way to go before any of this gets sorted out. So it could finish much differently than that. But, it's going to be a fun district for sure.
    Texas Forever.

2013, 2015, 2016 3ADL FF Champ jason's Avatar

Who is Stephenvilles qb? I know yall return a lot on both sides.
    Stephenville bringing back 17 of 22 starters (that's what it was after last season anyways), the majority of those on the defensive side so they should be solid.
    Big holes to fill at QB and WR. There is a Junior QB who was going to be the man last year before Easton Jones' successful stem cell treatment on his elbow allowed him to return. The WR was a 6'5 great athlete who is playing for Texas State in the fall. This squad loaded with seniors. Their class was the one to watch when they were sophomores and they made a good run last year, a year earlier than everyone expected. High expectations for this bunch with big holes to fill and a tough schedule to say the least.

All-American

China Spring will surprise some folks this year. However, La Vega is La Vega and they have some crazy good skill players returning. They will be in search of a new QB and will be breaking in a new head coach.

All-American

Quote Originally Posted by jason View Post
    Stephenville bringing back 17 of 22 starters (that's what it was after last season anyways), the majority of those on the defensive side so they should be solid.
    Big holes to fill at QB and WR. There is a Junior QB who was going to be the man last year before Easton Jones' successful stem cell treatment on his elbow allowed him to return. The WR was a 6'5 great athlete who is playing for Texas State in the fall. This squad loaded with seniors. Their class was the one to watch when they were sophomores and they made a good run last year, a year earlier than everyone expected. High expectations for this bunch with big holes to fill and a tough schedule to say the least.

Bringing back that many starters from a semifinal team, yeah, I imagine Stephenville will open the season somewhere near the top of the Top 10. But playing that ridiculous schedule, I wouldn't be surprised if they drop somewhere between 12-20 rolling into district, not that it means anything at all. I mean, that's gotta be one of the toughest pre-district slates that I've seen in a while — a perennial 4A power, an up-and-coming 4A power with loads of offense, two 5A DII squads and a 5A DI team. That's nasty. And then the real season begins, and there's still not much of a letdown in the schedule. But the Jackets will be battled tested, that's for sure.
    Texas Forever.

All-American

Quote Originally Posted by Bosqueville View Post
    China Spring will surprise some folks this year. However, La Vega is La Vega and they have some crazy good skill players returning. They will be in search of a new QB and will be breaking in a new head coach.

I would love to have a Celina/China Spring rematch at some point. Our one matchup in 2007 was a fun one. Realignment being what it is this go around, we might get to see the powder blue and the orange and white go at it again.

La Vega has always had the skill players. But, apart from 2007, and then the title game appearance in 2008 and championship in 2015, they just never seem to be able to put it all the way together. I don't know anything about the new coach and what he brings. But, there's always some transition in that first year, and not having an established QB won't help in that regard. I think the Pirates will be contenders, simply because of their athleticism, but they may not have the solidarity in place this year to carry them through Region II.
    Texas Forever.

All-State

You'd think living in the area that I'd know, but who is the new La Vega coach?

Anyone know if Donnie Hyde is staying on as DC?
    Rockets Never Quit!

All-American

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Man View Post
    You'd think living in the area that I'd know, but who is the new La Vega coach?

Anyone know if Donnie Hyde is staying on as DC?

A quick Google search, and as soon as the result popped up, I remembered, Don Hyde IS the new HC. I'm not sure if he'll retain his DC title, too, but he's definitely the successor for Coach Williams. So, La Vega will have a fairly smooth transition, I imagine. Hyde will be a good head coach, and the Pirates will continue to have one of the better defenses in 4A, probably.
    Texas Forever.