Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Top 10 4a Dl

Quote Originally Posted by d0tc0m View Post
    They certainly deserve to be ranked ahead of Celina to start the year. Melissa is stacked with a load of returning talent that is still fairly young. But they got absolutely walloped against Pleasant Grove last year in the Region II finals. It'll be interesting to see how they respond. Did it humble them and send them into the offseason hungrier than before? Or did it take away the notion that they could compete with and become legitimate contenders? I lean towards the former. But, time will tell.
    The PG game was a great learning experiance for a very young Melissa team last year. PG jumped out early in the game with a predominantly senior lead team. I think after PG scored so quick the young Melissa crew was shell shocked. That shouldn't happen this year. As far as talent and athletes Melissa is loaded. If the team comes together they have the personnel to compete for a title.
    1stand10

All-American

Quote Originally Posted by orange machine View Post
    The PG game was a great learning experiance for a very young Melissa team last year. PG jumped out early in the game with a predominantly senior lead team. I think after PG scored so quick the young Melissa crew was shell shocked. That shouldn't happen this year. As far as talent and athletes Melissa is loaded. If the team comes together they have the personnel to compete for a title.

I figured as much. For me, it wasn't so much that PG jump out early. It was just the way they physically manhandled Melissa the whole game. But that has to do with Melissa's youth. And you're right, they are absolutely loaded, top-to-bottom. They've got an embarrassment of riches in the skill positions ... for the next two years. They're probably the District 7 favorites right now. But, man, there should be some great games in this district.
    Texas Forever.

I figured as much. For me, it wasn't so much that PG jump out early. It was just the way they physically manhandled Melissa the whole game. But that has to do with Melissa's youth. And you're right, they are absolutely loaded, top-to-bottom. They've got an embarrassment of riches in the skill positions ... for the next two years. They're probably the District 7 favorites right now. But, man, there should be some great games in this district.
    They did whatever they wanted that's for sure. I think that's where Melissa's youth showed up. They couldn't stop the bleeding.
    1stand10

All-American

Quote Originally Posted by orange machine View Post
    They did whatever they wanted that's for sure. I think that's where Melissa's youth showed up. They couldn't stop the bleeding.

Another year for their physical growth to catch up with their athletic ability. They could be scary good come district/playoff time.
    Texas Forever.

All-District

The Carthage Dawgs have three D linemen and two from the secondary coming back.
    Three O linemen coming back and add the super sophomore 6' 5" 285 to line this year and the protection and run blocking will be good.
    State champ QB coming back.
    May be one of the best running backs in 4A kelvonta Dixon (K Ingram's little brother), he broke his leg last year second game of the season.
    He started on defense and already has D1 offers as a sophomore.(fastest player on the Dawg roster last year)
    The freshmen and sophomore class's coming up are loaded with athletes.
    Question marks, replacing the best trio of linebackers we have ever had and Frisbee catching Dawgs at wide receiver will have to be answered.
    I truly believe the 2018 Dawgs can make a run at the three Pete, but they will not dominate like they did last year.
    The 2017 Dawgs may very well have been the best Dawg team we have had, we had outstanding teams before but last year that team just made it look easy.
    I agree with Dawg, there are going to be 8 to 10 teams good enough to win the title in 2018.
    Lets Go Dawgs!!!!!!!!
    God Bless coaches, players, and fans.

All-American

Quote Originally Posted by cowboyandchrist View Post
    Three O linemen coming back and add the super sophomore 6' 5" 285 to line this year and the protection and run blocking will be good.
    May be one of the best running backs in 4A kelvonta Dixon (K Ingram's little brother), he broke his leg last year second game of the season.
    He started on defense and already has D1 offers as a sophomore.(fastest player on the Dawg roster last year)
    Question marks, replacing the best trio of linebackers we have ever had and Frisbee catching Dawgs at wide receiver will have to be answered.
    I truly believe the 2018 Dawgs can make a run at the three Pete, but they will not dominate like they did last year.
    The 2017 Dawgs may very well have been the best Dawg team we have had, we had outstanding teams before but last year that team just made it look easy.
    I agree with Dawg, there are going to be 8 to 10 teams good enough to win the title in 2018.
    Lets Go Dawgs!!!!!!!!

Carthage will be back in the thick of it this year, there's no question. They've got athletes to spare. But replacing that LB corps is going to be a task. Those kids were monsters, man, and they set the tone for the defense.
    Texas Forever.

All-District

Quote Originally Posted by cowboyandchrist View Post
    Lets Go Dawgs!!!!!!!!
    It will be hard for Kelvontay Dixon to be the best RB in 4a when Tucker Smith will be the starting RB at Carthage this year. Kelvontay is going to line up everywhere. Out wide, in the slot, and at RB. But he is not Keaontay. They are not going to line him up and give him 200+ carries. I thought he would be too, but he is a different kind of athlete then his brother. He is going to be the best player in the secondary, and probably the best offensive weapon. But he is not going to be used like his brother was. Which for Carthage is a good thing. Keaontay is probably a top 5 player to ever come thru Carthage. But he was a legit D1 thoroughbred RB. You don’t play those kind of guys on D and special teams. Kelvontay is also a D1 guy. But he is the type that you play all over the field.

So please for your own sake stop saying we will have the best RB in 4a. Tucker is gonna be a beast, but not the best in 4a.
    Last edited by Dawgs; 06-12-2018 at 08:20 AM.

All-District

Carthage will be back in the thick of it this year, there's no question. They've got athletes to spare. But replacing that LB corps is going to be a task. Those kids were monsters, man, and they set the tone for the defense.
    We got 3-4 kids who should be very good LB, but you’re right. It’s going to be hard to replace those guys. All those guys played the position for pretty much 3 years. We won’t know exactly what we have until mid season.

Quote Originally Posted by jason View Post
    negative - I don't know the current QB situation. Last season when Jones was out there were 2 underclassman candidates to take over the starting job and when he returned, I don't remember who was the backup or if either one of them will contend to start this year.
    FWIW Stanley has been at the helm during 7v7.
    Yellow Jacket for Life!

All-American

Quote Originally Posted by Dawgs View Post
    We got 3-4 kids who should be very good LB, but you’re right. It’s going to be hard to replace those guys. All those guys played the position for pretty much 3 years. We won’t know exactly what we have until mid season.

With the exception of last year, I feel like that's always been Carthage's deal. Know they're going to have talent. Not sure how that talent will come together exactly. Playoffs roll around and they turn into the world beaters they are.
    Texas Forever.

All-American

Here's the official DCTF 4A Div. I top 10:

Argyle
    Carthage
    Stephenville
    LaVega
    Liberty Hill
    Kennedale
    Midlothian
    Henderson
    Wichita Falls Hirschi
    Melissa
    Texas Forever.

I just find it crazy to throw someone over the defending state champions at this point, even if they lost a few great players. They weren't supposed to be there 2 years ago, but they were. I'm not taking a shot at Argyle at all, because they have a great program, and great staff, but I do still feel like Carthage has the best coaching staff in the state of Texas, and I wouldn't take them off that #1 spot until someone knocks them off.

La Vega may be ranked kind of high in my opinion, due to their coach retiring. That's going to take some wind out of the sails. Hendo maybe a little low. Not too familiar with the rest of them.
    Atlanta Rabbits
    District Champs: 41, 45, 46, 47, 49, 50, 51, 53, 54, 57, 64, 66, 68, 70, 77, 78, 90, 91, 92, 94, 95, 98, 99, 01, 02, 03, 06
    Bi-District Champs: 48, 64, 77, 92, 94, 95, 98, 99, 01, 02, 03, 06, 12, 13, 14, 15
    Area Champs: 92, 94, 99, 03, 14, 15
    Regional Champs: 64, 92, 94, 99, 02, 03, 14, 15
    QF, SF Champs: 94, 03
    State Champs: 03

2013, 2015, 2016 3ADL FF Champ jason's Avatar

Here's the official DCTF 4A Div. I top 10:

Argyle
    Carthage
    Stephenville
    LaVega
    Liberty Hill