Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Top 10 4a Dl

Starter

When I look at the top 4, each of those teams could have #1 by their name in my humble opinion, and the remaining group on the top ten list are all strong contenders for a title this year.

2013, 2015, 2016 3ADL FF Champ jason's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RadioBoots View Post
    Also, 3 vs 4 week 8
    If #3 is still #3 in week 8 then I'd say things are going well...

All-District

There are 3-4 teams that can make a case to be preseason #1. But a back to back champion on a 26 game win streak returning 4-5 starters on both sides of the ball has to be #1. Carthage will drop a couple games early in the year, and they won’t have a case for #1 after the 1st couple weeks of the season. But until then they are the team to beat.

All-District

I might get killed for this but I just don’t see why Argyle gets so much love every year. They are always a little overrated for me. Since 2009 there are 4 teams that have won multiple championships. Argyle is not on that list. Just kinda seems they have something missing when their back is against the wall. A little bit of a front running team. Amazing overall record. But with the close losses in the playoffs I can’t put them up there with the Carthage, WOS, or Gilmers (and Sota until they lost Fedora). But like I said I am sure I will get killed for this post.
    Last edited by Dawgs; 06-22-2018 at 01:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dawgs View Post
    I might get killed for this but I just don’t see why Argyle gets so much love every year. They are always a little overrated for me. Since 2009 there are 4 teams that have won multiple championships. Argyle is not on that list. Just kinda seems they have something missing when their back is against the wall. A little bit of a front running team. Amazing overall record. But with the close losses in the playoffs I can’t put them up there with the Carthage, WOS, or Gilmers (and Sota until they lost Fedora). But like I said I am sure I will get killed for this post.
    I believe Argyle is a top 10 but I'm not sure they belong in the top 5.
    1stand10

All-American
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by orange machine View Post
    I believe Argyle is a top 10 but I'm not sure they belong in the top 5.
    I agree and I'm sure the Argyle coaching staff agrees. We are all surprised by this ranking.....Argyle did nothing to deserve it. There are just too many stacked teams coming in this season in D-1 with heavy senior classes......IMHO I would put Argyle around 6 or 7. Heck, we don't even know if our #2 QB last season will be our QB this season, or if Dixon will be back as well. Last season's lines were rather small compared to our competition.
    Yesterdays are gone forever and tomorrows may never happen, but today you have the opportunity to make a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by regaleagle View Post
    I agree and I'm sure the Argyle coaching staff agrees. We are all surprised by this ranking.....Argyle did nothing to deserve it. There are just too many stacked teams coming in this season in D-1 with heavy senior classes......IMHO I would put Argyle around 6 or 7. Heck, we don't even know if our #2 QB last season will be our QB this season, or if Dixon will be back as well. Last season's lines were rather small compared to our competition.
    Argyle will get a chance to prove they are worthy of the number 1 ranking that's for sure. They will get to play 3 top 10 teams in 4a Dl and some other teams in the top 25. They will either be really dang good or could be really banged up by the time the playoffs start.
    1stand10

All-American

Quote Originally Posted by Dawgs View Post

I don't think you'll get killed for that comment. Heck, I doubt many Argyllians will even argue with you over it. And I completely understand the point you're trying to make. I think Argyle ranks in the top 3-5 every year, because, when was the last time they truly weren't one of the top 5 teams of their division? Just because they have only won ONE state title doesn't diminish the type of program they are, in my opinion, because only ONE team per division gets to take home hardware anyway, and the Eagles are almost always legitimately in the conversation for that every year since about 2011 or so.

And, if you look at the teams you listed (Carthage, WOS, Gilmer and Navasota), apart from Carthage, I don't think the others even belong in the conversation. Argyle has, apart from 2012, handled Gilmer. Navasota had a couple of good seasons in 2012 and 2015, but apart from that, they're far from an elite program, even with Fedora. They benefitted from just a great couple of classes to go with a good coach. WOS, like Carthage, deserves that No. 1 preseason ranking almost every year, because they have just built that kind of machine. But WOS has gotten a free pass into the semifinals for the past half decade at least. Granted, that's not their fault. They can only play who gets put in front of them. But I don't think even WOS's best teams could have beaten Argyle in the past 10 years or so — maybe the 2016 team.

If we're talking about truly elite programs since 2009, the list is super short for me. It's Carthage, and that's really it. I'd throw WOS in there, too, but, if we're just talking about Argyle's division, then the Mustangs are out of the conversation. But, they are an elite program in their own right.

And, to be fair, though it seems like Carthage has won a title every year since 2008, they actually haven't. In 2011, Argyle beat both Carthage AND Gilmer. In 2012, Carthage lost to El Campo. In 2014, Carthage was ousted in the second round ... again by El Campo. And, in 2015, Carthage fell short against La Vega. But, since 2008, Argyle has NOT played for at least a Region title only three times. Granted, that's not anywhere close to Carthage's seven state titles since 2008, but, it still warrants being in the top 5 every year, in my opinion.

So, I hear exactly what you're saying, Dawgs. But, when you hash it out a little bit, I think it's easier to see why Argyle gets the nod year in and year out.
    Texas Forever.

All-American

Quote Originally Posted by orange machine View Post
    Argyle will get a chance to prove they are worthy of the number 1 ranking that's for sure. They will get to play 3 top 10 teams in 4a Dl and some other teams in the top 25. They will either be really dang good or could be really banged up by the time the playoffs start.

I think the No. 1 ranking is going to be a carousel for the first half of the season, to be honest. There are going to be some big-time marquee matchups early on, and I think teams are going to get cycled in and out of that ranking. If Argyle truly holds onto that spot, then heaven help the rest of the division.

Apart from that, though, I think you'll see Melissa move up quickly. I saw where one of their receivers committed or was offered by TCU, can't remember. I think you'll see Stephenville move down, simply because they play a nasty pre-district schedule. And I think you'll see Liberty Hill and La Vega bounce up a few spots quickly.

But, just looking at it from here, at the end of June, it looks like these rankings will be blown to hell the first part of the season. And that's going to be awesome!
    Texas Forever.

Quote Originally Posted by d0tc0m View Post
    I think the No. 1 ranking is going to be a carousel for the first half of the season, to be honest. There are going to be some big-time marquee matchups early on, and I think teams are going to get cycled in and out of that ranking. If Argyle truly holds onto that spot, then heaven help the rest of the division.

Apart from that, though, I think you'll see Melissa move up quickly. I saw where one of their receivers committed or was offered by TCU, can't remember. I think you'll see Stephenville move down, simply because they play a nasty pre-district schedule. And I think you'll see Liberty Hill and La Vega bounce up a few spots quickly.

But, just looking at it from here, at the end of June, it looks like these rankings will be blown to hell the first part of the season. And that's going to be awesome!
    Melissa WR Kennedy Lewis has committed to TCU. Melissa has 5 Dl players currently 4 of which are under classmen.
    1stand10

Junior Varsity

Argyle don’t deserve to be ranked #1 and I will be the first to admit that. However, as far as multiple championships, Argyle got robbed by a horrible call and everyone knows that.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
    Argyle don’t deserve to be ranked #1 and I will be the first to admit that. However, as far as multiple championships, Argyle got robbed by a horrible call and everyone knows that.
    That is very true.
    1stand10

All-District

Quote Originally Posted by d0tc0m View Post
    And, if you look at the teams you listed (Carthage, WOS, Gilmer and Navasota), apart from Carthage, I don't think the others even belong in the conversation. Argyle has, apart from 2012, handled Gilmer. Navasota had a couple of good seasons in 2012 and 2015, but apart from that, they're far from an elite program, even with Fedora. They benefitted from just a great couple of classes to go with a good coach. WOS, like Carthage, deserves that No. 1 preseason ranking almost every year, because they have just built that kind of machine. But WOS has gotten a free pass into the semifinals for the past half decade at least. Granted, that's not their fault. They can only play who gets put in front of them. But I don't think even WOS's best teams could have beaten Argyle in the past 10 years or so — maybe the 2016 team.

And, to be fair, though it seems like Carthage has won a title every year since 2008, they actually haven't. In 2011, Argyle beat both Carthage AND Gilmer. In 2012, Carthage lost to El Campo. In 2014, Carthage was ousted in the second round ... again by El Campo. And, in 2015, Carthage fell short against La Vega. But, since 2008, Argyle has NOT played for at least a Region title only three times. Granted, that's not anywhere close to Carthage's seven state titles since 2008, but, it still warrants being in the top 5 every year, in my opinion.

So, I hear exactly what you're saying, Dawgs. But, when you hash it out a little bit, I think it's easier to see why Argyle gets the nod year in and year out.
    Well I think there are some things we are disagree. First your statement Argyle has NOT played for a region title only 3 times since 2008. I have them getting beat in the 2nd round in 2008, 3rd round in 2009, 3rd round in 2012, 3rd round in 2016, and 3rd round in 2017. So that would be 5 times.

You mentioned Carthage in 2011, 2014, and 2015. Yea we got beat in the playoffs that year. Those were all rebuilding years. 2011 Carthage was 9-4, 2014 they were 6-6, and 2015 the Dawgs were 11-4. We routinely beat teams we were not supposed to in those years. In 2011 a group of sophomores took Argyle to OT. In 2015 Carthage shredded the #1 team in the state Navasota who was on like a 30 game win streak. That was a 4 loss team. 2012 we shouldn’t have lost that game. That is the only year I can remember where Carthage was the favorite and got beat. Hell 2016 Carthage was an underdog in almost every playoff game and won a title. In years where Carthage is the favorite they dominate teams in the playoffs.

Same for Gilmer. Yea they have lost some games in the playoffs. Argyle has a winning record against them. But when they are the favorite they get it done. And even some years where they are not the favorite they make very deep runs. Look at 2012. That team wasn’t even supposed to be any good and they made a run to the state championship game.

Hell I can’t remember the last time WOS has lost a game they should’ve won. You can say last year, but I think everybody knows they were a little down. Most people who followed 4a knew PG was the favorite. Obviously the split division helped them a lot, but still. Even before that they were always in the mix. And their current run is better than anything Argyle has put together.

Now I look at Argyle. I see a team that is favored to win it all every year. But have only got it done once. I cannot remember the last time Argyle was not the favorite to win a state championship. Then they follow that up looking like world beaters in the regular season. But I can name several times they shouldn’t have got beat and did. And I’m not sure they have ever won a game in the playoffs where they were considered the underdog. Ville shouldn’t have beat them. Wylie shouldn’t have beat them. In 2015 they had LV down 31-27 with 2 minutes left and had 2 of the worst 12 men on the field penalties back to back that I have ever seen in a big game. Couldn’t close the deal. 2014 double OT loss in the championship. Again couldn’t get it done. 2013 finally got over the hump. That was a mentally tough team. Great game against FF, and they rose to the occasion. I won’t go back any further that that, but there is more. In the games I just named Argyle was probably the underdog in 1 of those games. The one against LV. It just seems for whatever reason Argyle missing something. Not sure what it it. But year after year they are the favorite to win a ship and don’t for whatever reason.

I guess going by overall records they deserve to be in the mix for #1 every year. You make some good points. I cannot disputed they are a top 3-5 team ever year. My point is they rarely live up to the hype.

All-District

And I am not trying to be an Argyle hater. I am just kinda interested what people thoughts are to why they don’t win more than they do in the playoffs.

Junior Varsity

I think a lot of it is the injury bug biting them at the end of the season. I don’t think they should have lost to the Ville either however we will never know what the outcome would have been if they hadn’t lost their QB. With or without their QB, there is no way they would have beat Carthage last year. Again, I don’t think Argyle deserves the #1 ranking and I would bet the farm on it that Argyle coaches, fans, and players feel the same way.