Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

The Rangers are playing a lot better as of late. It could be that the schedule is quite a bit weaker, but they are playing better, nonetheless. Winning 7 in a row, 8 of 9 games, is much better than at any other stretch this season. The problem is they have a monumental hole to dig out of just to have a respectable chance at the postseason. In my best guestimation, they will have to win at least 55 to 60 of the remaining 84 games to have any chance at getting into the playoffs. The real test will be when they start playing the real contenders. Will they continue winning when the schedule gets tougher again?

I'm with you, Regal. I don't see that happening, realistically speaking. Before the season started I was telling everybody the Rangers would be hovering a little under or around .500 this season.
    "Kaizen"

".......offense wins games, but DEFENSE wins championships!"

P.R.I.D.E.

Gilmer Buckeyes -State Champions:

2004 3A - Division II
    2009 3A - Division I
    2014 4A - Division II
    2023 4A - Division II

Quote Originally Posted by Txbroadcaster View Post
    Yep...tearing it down to be exciting by 2020 and compete by 2021. Amazing how people STILL want to run down JD. Like he said..when you have a 10 year run that the Rangers had at some point the system will get thin. Unless you are the Yanks or Red Sox, that means you go thru cycles. This is a down one for Texas.
    Agree with this.

It's pretty unfortnate that too many people have a 'what have you done for me lately' attitude. The Rangers have had a pretty damn good run for about a decade. They were a strike away from a title twice. All you can ask for as a fan is for your team to be a contender. We have been for sometime. As has been said, things cycle and we're on the dowside of that. JD is a very good GM and Banny is a good manager. Everyone needs to chill and see things for what they are.
    Judge a man by his questions rather than by his answers.

-Voltaire

Houston knows the answer. Fill in the blank R _ _ N. I really like Mazara. Odor and Chirinos are average at best. Beltre is one bad step toward another hammy pull. If you guys are content with what the GM is putting on the field then enjoy the mediocrity. Banny is good but he is no miracle worker. You guys support JD, great. We all don't have to follow suit.
    The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have..... Vince Lombardi

You most certainly have a valid point, Tejastrue. I would love to still have Nolan Ryan. That loss was huge. I think Nolan was the main reason Texas turned it around in the first place. Jon Daniels took what Nolan suggested, and made it happen. Nolan knows talent better than JD, and anybody else in the Rangers organization.
    "Kaizen"

P.R.I.D.E.

2004 3A - Division II
    2009 3A - Division I
    2014 4A - Division II
    2023 4A - Division II

Can't agree more Wb. It has been excruciating to watch thus far. Seems many are happy with the hr, especially how many feet the ball traveled.

For those of you that watched the 3 game sweep by Oakland, I came away impressed with the guys the A's have put on the field. Take notice JD. lol

All-American

I wonder which one of the hammerheads are scheduled to pitch a week from Sunday....... unfortunately, I'll be there.
    Originally posted by Ranger Mom
    Umm...what is a sweet beaver??
    the best kind???

The Big Sexy...

The Rangers took 2 in a row from Houston, so now they're only 22 games back. There's something to get excited about!

Make that 3 in a row! The Rangers are the only team to sweep the Astros this season thus far. Too little too late, but they "could" climb out of the cellar eventually if they continue to get better.
    "Kaizen"

P.R.I.D.E.

2004 3A - Division II
    2009 3A - Division I
    2014 4A - Division II
    2023 4A - Division II

Quote Originally Posted by waterboy View Post
    You most certainly have a valid point, Tejastrue. I would love to still have Nolan Ryan. That loss was huge. I think Nolan was the main reason Texas turned it around in the first place. Jon Daniels took what Nolan suggested, and made it happen. Nolan knows talent better than JD, and anybody else in the Rangers organization.
    Nolan Ryan gave the fans a face of the franchise at a time it needed one with all the Hicks fall out..but he did not build the team. HE did not make trades or sign FAs.
    Sideline To Sideline Show Each Week at https://lonestargridiron.com/categor...-to-sideline//

Quote Originally Posted by Tejastrue View Post
    Houston knows the answer. Fill in the blank R _ _ N. I really like Mazara. Odor and Chirinos are average at best. Beltre is one bad step toward another hammy pull. If you guys are content with what the GM is putting on the field then enjoy the mediocrity. Banny is good but he is no miracle worker. You guys support JD, great. We all don't have to follow suit.
    It is not being content..it is understanding the JD built a team( alot of it in place before Ryan even came aboard)...that team amd system led to a run of 2 WS..8 play offs in 10 years. Last few years moves were made trying to keep the window open...Moves everyone lauded at the time. After spending almost 10 years as a top 10 payroll team and the minors dry from all the moves that Rangers either were going to have to tear down..or try to become a money team like the Yankees.
    Sideline To Sideline Show Each Week at https://lonestargridiron.com/categor...-to-sideline//

We have always disagreed about this. Now, the well has dried up. Tell me some quality moves for building the franchise Daniels made before Ryan came on in 2008. Maybe I will change my mind.

I never lauded the big moves in recent years. They paid way too much for Fielder (and still are) and are overpaying both Choo and Odor. Hamels?? Bad timing. The Rangers for the most part, appear to have also given up on home grown talent.

On a side note...I'm an old school Rangers fan. Seen some crazy chit over the years. Brad Corbett ring a bell?

Quote Originally Posted by Tejastrue View Post
    We have always disagreed about this. Now, the well has dried up. Tell me some quality moves for building the franchise Daniels made before Ryan came on in 2008. Maybe I will change my mind.

I never lauded the big moves in recent years. They paid way too much for Fielder (and still are) and are overpaying both Choo and Odor. Hamels?? Bad timing. The Rangers for the most part, appear to have also given up on home grown talent.

On a side note...I'm an old school Rangers fan. Seen some crazy chit over the years. Brad Corbett ring a bell?
    06 traded for Cruz

2007 JD got Andrus..Feliz..Harrison in the Tex trade...got Josh Hamilton..David Murphy...The trades that brought Cliff Lee and Molina were primary 2007 draft guys..Mith MOreland was drafted in 07

Winter Meeting deals and FA signings..that was JD thru the Ryan year's ...and it was the owner Davis that pushed Ryan out, not JD..Davis wanted direct line to JD and not go thru Ryan first.

Like I said Ryan was the perfect face for Texas in a bad time with the bankruptcy and all that drama, but JD started his 5 year plan in 07 with the Tex trade and got Texas to one strike away.

But Ryan also came in claming he would change how Texas pitches...no more pitch counts...starters always going 8...but those teams in 2010-2011 won because of bullpen not starters and Texas did not all of a sudden have starters going 8 with no pitch counts.

The later moves..they were gambles to keep the run going..if Choo would have been healthy the whole time how he has played this season was what we would have seen the whole time...Prince, did not like but again trying to keep the run going.

The farm was depleted to build that team and then try to keep it going..and they did, just could not get past Jays...and I think if they would have in that first series, I think Texas was built to go back to WS.

But now it is time for the tear down and I think JD has earned the right to tear down and rebuild again.

Some good points. So are we in the midst of the 3rd 5 year plan or was there an interim period? Your perspective on Ryan is disappointing.