Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Carthage

All-District

Quote Originally Posted by Aesculus gilmus View Post
    It's not too late to make the jump to the college ranks. He probably would have done well to go to the next level the same year Jeff Traylor did.
    Unfortunately you are probably right. This just shows that Surratt has gotten too big for Carthage. We have won too much. Our facilities are too good. His salary is too much. When you win at this rate everybody is ready to assume you are dirty as soon as anything comes out. I hope he stays until retirement and Carthage is the winningest program in Texas history. He could easily win 10+ titles. But I just don’t see it. You can’t win this much in small town Texas without people trying to tear you down at 1st chance. He deserves better than this. I personally hope this thing cools off. People have their pound of flesh, and then he jumps to the college ranks. Go on 1 more run in 2018 and then step away. He won’t leave this year. He has too much competitor in him. This years team will take on his persona of them against the world. Wouldn’t want to see these boys in the playoffs.

For the record I don’t care what anybody says. Scott Surratt has been a pillar in this community the last 10+ years. He has given Carthage a common ground for us to come together regardless of our differences. He has run this program with integrity. He has made a huge difference in kids lives 100’s of times over. Our kids have always showed sportsmanship in wins and losses. They take their losses and learn from them. That’s what champions do. I kinda wish he wouldn’t have laid off teams in 2017, especially if he doesn’t coach next year (which is highly unlikely). People just don’t realize how many times Surratt coulda beat teams by 70 over the years. Always laid off teams. He could have set whatever offensive records he wanted to this year in 2017. 2017 was a culmination of his 11 years, and it was beautiful to watch. Hopefully this thing doesn’t bring it all to an end. We will see.

All-District

I’m still kinda laughing at Regal jumping out first sentence saying title should be stripped. Lol. Take it away. Everybody that played Carthage knows. Carthage played 2 games this year where they couldn’t name the score. Gilmer and LV. I know we only beat LE by 10, but you would’ve had to be there to understand. And it had very little to do with the QB tbh. He had pretty much 3 D1 receivers, and the number 1 RB in the state. Any game that was close this year was due to QB play tbh. So say what you want. That was one of the best teams in history. Especially in 4a (old 3a). Scored 742 points with starters playing usually 1 half. Put up 64 points in the 1st half of a 3rd round playoff game. Shut out a good team in the 4th round of the playoffs. Our freshman team got to play in the state championship game. Who does that?

Surratt, in his closing remarks, pointed to the 2017’s record: 16-0 season, outscoring opponents by 394 points, an offensive school record of 742 points, only giving up nine and a half points with starters on the field.

“The 2017 Carthage Bulldogs, by the numbers — we’re not going to compare it with the other five; we’d never do that, disrespecting the other teams, proud of all of them — but by the numbers, will go down as the best team in Carthage history,” he said.

All-American
    Blog Entries

You are missing the point, Dear Sir......it really does not matter how good the rest of the team was. It's a shame the entire school and those players on the team should take a hit for the indiscretions of the few guilty, but that is the way we operate in a free society......and that is exactly how the rules of the NCAA and the UIL operate also. I was merely pointing out this could be the end result for Carthage regarding this incident. Whether it was regaleagle or some other poster that wrote about this possibility......many readers and knowledgeable fans are very aware of this possible consequence. If it's not a big deal, then why would you post the above slamming me to deflect and protect your dear Carthage. I'm not the culprit here.......although I did allow myself to be ridiculed by some by simply posting an opinion that may turn out proven to be correct. I don't see any pats on the back for what has occurred at Carthage.......regardless of the success of the program or Coach Scott Surratt......including all of the talented players. Right is right and wrong is wrong as long as the day is long.......end of story. They don't call it a TEAM sport for nothing. The treatment of this entire issue by those culpable within CISD had a direct relatlionship with the Carthage football program......whether regarding only one player or not......it was done to protect the football program......not the basketball, baseball, or track program.....or the Carthage band program. Again.....this is only my opinion and you can take it for what it's worth......and have a big laugh if you like. To say this entire ordeal is unfortunate for the many in Carthage is a huge understatement.
    Yesterdays are gone forever and tomorrows may never happen, but today you have the opportunity to make a difference.

All-District

Quote Originally Posted by regaleagle View Post
    You are missing the point, Dear Sir......it really does not matter how good the rest of the team was. It's a shame the entire school and those players on the team should take a hit for the indiscretions of the few guilty, but that is the way we operate in a free society......and that is exactly how the rules of the NCAA and the UIL operate also. I was merely pointing out this could be the end result for Carthage regarding this incident. Whether it was regaleagle or some other poster that wrote about this possibility......many readers and knowledgeable fans are very aware of this possible consequence. If it's not a big deal, then why would you post the above slamming me to deflect and protect your dear Carthage. I'm not the culprit here.......although I did allow myself to be ridiculed by some by simply posting an opinion that may turn out proven to be correct. I don't see any pats on the back for what has occurred at Carthage.......regardless of the success of the program or Coach Scott Surratt......including all of the talented players. Right is right and wrong is wrong as long as the day is long.......end of story. They don't call it a TEAM sport for nothing. The treatment of this entire issue by those culpable within CISD had a direct relatlionship with the Carthage football program......whether regarding only one player or not......it was done to protect the football program......not the basketball, baseball, or track program.....or the Carthage band program. Again.....this is only my opinion and you can take it for what it's worth......and have a big laugh if you like. To say this entire ordeal is unfortunate for the many in Carthage is a huge understatement.
    Let’s just leave it at you don’t know what your taking about. You are quick to judge. You jumped on it as soon as you could saying “stripped of the title”. When have you ever known a team to be “stripped” of a title? Carthage did not play an ineligible player. As a matter of fact the said player was punished during the baseball season of 2017 (his sophomore year). The incident occurred in 2016. He missed baseball games last year. Had more punishment than that, but I don’t need to get onto it. What makes him “ineligible” in your eyes? People are taking a well written lawsuit by a talented lawyer and turning everything into fact. That was one side of the story. Like I said you don’t know what the heck your talking about.
    Last edited by Dawgs; 05-01-2018 at 04:27 AM.

All-District

And Regal the only reason “football” is mentioned is because they knew they would get the “shock and awe” factor. Dang sure worked on you along with many others. Kid is a better baseball player. In fact he is playing baseball now. They knew what they were doing. Gonna get the most $$ and the most results trying to throw football and Surratt under the bus due to the success of Carthage Football.

All-American
    Blog Entries

Well that sure clears up a few things in this moddled mess. But I guess the two teenage girls having a video of them nude distributed all over the place is a good reason for a lawsuit, regardless.....Huh? Especially since they couldn't even go to school without being in a hornets nest. All because of one "good athlete" at Carthage. No sympathies here for that player that has undergone so much "punishment". What if it was YOUR daughter that this random act of ridiculousness happened to and YOU were the parent? What would you say then? Two sides to every story is right.
    Yesterdays are gone forever and tomorrows may never happen, but today you have the opportunity to make a difference.

All-District

Quote Originally Posted by regaleagle View Post
    Well that sure clears up a few things in this moddled mess. But I guess the two teenage girls having a video of them nude distributed all over the place is a good reason for a lawsuit, regardless.....Huh? Especially since they couldn't even go to school without being in a hornets nest. All because of one "good athlete" at Carthage. No sympathies here for that player that has undergone so much "punishment". What if it was YOUR daughter that this random act of ridiculousness happened to and YOU were the parent? What would you say then? Two sides to every story is right.
    Like I said just leave it at you don’t know what you are talking about...get up on that high horse if you want. The kid made a terrible mistake. He has hopefully learned from that mistake. Tbh he is not that good of an athlete. And for the record there is 1 girls mother who filed the lawsuit. And no, it’s not a good lawsuit suing the school IMO. What could the school have done about it spreading?

All-American

Quote Originally Posted by Dawgs View Post
    And Regal the only reason “football” is mentioned is because they knew they would get the “shock and awe” factor. Dang sure worked on you along with many others. Kid is a better baseball player. In fact he is playing baseball now. They knew what they were doing. Gonna get the most $$ and the most results trying to throw football and Surratt under the bus due to the success of Carthage Football.

All-District

I think stripping the title is meaningless.

This should be about the girls getting justice, not football.

That being said, if the assistant coach was a part of this and Surratt (and any other administrators) was aware of it and did nothing, then they all should be out of a jobs.

Quote Originally Posted by Weebe View Post

That being said, if the assistant coach was a part of this and Surratt (and any other administrators) was aware of it and did nothing, then they all should be out of a jobs.
    I'll drink to that.

Letterman

Letterman

couldn't have said it any better

All-American

Quote Originally Posted by bobcat1 View Post
    I'll drink to that.

As will I.
    Texas Forever.

All-District

I agree. If an assistant coach was part of this and Surratt knew about that then I agree. Run them all off. But I’m telling you people were aware of the incident. Did they do enough? Probably not. But this lynch mob mentality of running them all off before both sides are out is kinda disturbing. It was exactly what one side wanted when they wrote that lawsuit.

All-District

Quote Originally Posted by Dawgs View Post
    I agree. If an assistant coach was part of this and Surratt knew about that then I agree. Run them all off. But I’m telling you people were aware of the incident. Did they do enough? Probably not. But this lynch mob mentality of running them all off before both sides are out is kinda disturbing. It was exactly what one side wanted when they wrote that lawsuit.
    Thus the reason I used the term "if."