2013, 2015, 2016 3ADL FF Champ jason's Avatar

Default Highland Park open

looks like randy allen retired...he had a pretty good run...

All-American

Much like the SLC gig, this one should bring out The Who's-Who.
    Texas Forever.

All-American
    Blog Entries

I sure hope they don't ask Coach Todd Rodgers to consider the position......he would probably be a good fit for this school. He has the resume to be considered for this high profile position.
    Yesterdays are gone forever and tomorrows may never happen, but today you have the opportunity to make a difference.

All-American

Quote Originally Posted by Roughneck93 View Post

An odd situation. I wonder if Stepp has any more information on this.

And you're right, Regal, Coach Rogers would have been a pretty good fit at HP. I could have seen him make that jump. I guess the Argyllians will just have to put up with him for a few more years now.
    Texas Forever.

All-District

Quote Originally Posted by d0tc0m View Post
    An odd situation. I wonder if Stepp has any more information on this.

And you're right, Regal, Coach Rogers would have been a pretty good fit at HP. I could have seen him make that jump. I guess the Argyllians will just have to put up with him for a few more years now.
    Not taking anything away from Rogers, but no way he would have been in the conversation at HP. Has built a monster at Argyle, but HP is a different animal. They can pick pretty much whoever they want around the state. Would be extremely unlikely they would give a 4a coach a look. Just my opinion. Surratt has had far more success than Rogers, and I don’t think he would even get a call back. But I could be wrong.

All-American
    Blog Entries

The position would be as AD, not just head football coach. Coach Rodgers has been instrumental in hiring and directing a highly successful group of coaches in ALL the sports programs at Argyle High School. These include Girls Volleyball, Girls & Boys Basketball, Boys Golf, Boys & Girls Track & Cross Country, Boys Baseball, and the highly successful grade school and junior high school programs put into place......not to mention the extremely high community support programs and Booster Club programs. Then there is the fanbase support and parents of the athletic programs to consider and how to keep everyone happy with the decisions made. There's alot more to look at for this hire than just the football program......which has been stellar and among the very top in Class 4A for the past 10 yrs. in won/loss and state championship appearances.......all well documented.
    Argyle has won a State Championship in most of these sports at least once in past 10 yrs.......and I think Argyle has won the Texas Cup 6 yrs in a row.....and probably another Texas Cup for this past year will be earned. Yes, I would definitely put Coach Rodgers at the top of the list for possible candidates for the position......but now it no longer needs to be filled.
    Last edited by regaleagle; 04-19-2018 at 10:27 AM.
    Yesterdays are gone forever and tomorrows may never happen, but today you have the opportunity to make a difference.

All-American

Quote Originally Posted by Dawgs View Post
    Not taking anything away from Rogers, but no way he would have been in the conversation at HP. Has built a monster at Argyle, but HP is a different animal. They can pick pretty much whoever they want around the state. Would be extremely unlikely they would give a 4a coach a look. Just my opinion. Surratt has had far more success than Rogers, and I don’t think he would even get a call back. But I could be wrong.

I believe you're wrong. Surratt would get a call back anywhere he wanted one.

HP and Argyle are similar monsters. Similar demographics. Similar success. Similar circumstances and resources. Why would Rogers not be a good fit?
    Texas Forever.

All-American

Quote Originally Posted by regaleagle View Post
    The position would be as AD, not just head football coach. Coach Rodgers has been instrumental in hiring and directing a highly successful group of coaches in ALL the sports programs at Argyle High School. These include Girls Volleyball, Girls & Boys Basketball, Boys Golf, Boys & Girls Track & Cross Country, Boys Baseball, and the highly successful grade school and junior high school programs put into place......not to mention the extremely high community support programs and Booster Club programs. Then there is the fanbase support and parents of the athletic programs to consider and how to keep everyone happy with the decisions made. There's alot more to look at for this hire than just the football program......which has been stellar and among the very top in Class 4A for the past 10 yrs. in won/loss and state championship appearances.......all well documented.
    Argyle has won a State Championship in most of these sports at least once in past 10 yrs.......and I think Argyle has won the Texas Cup 6 yrs in a row.....and probably another Texas Cup for this past year will be earned. Yes, I would definitely put Coach Rodgers at the top of the list for possible candidates for the position......but now it no longer needs to be filled.

This.
    Texas Forever.

All-District

Quote Originally Posted by d0tc0m View Post
    I believe you're wrong. Surratt would get a call back anywhere he wanted one.

HP and Argyle are similar monsters. Similar demographics. Similar success. Similar circumstances and resources. Why would Rogers not be a good fit?
    I didn’t say he wouldn’t be a good fit. I said I don’t think there is anyway Rogers gets a serious look at HP. Now doubt he is one of the very best AD, probably the best AD in 4a (old 3a) over the last 10 or so years. Argyle is a monster in all sports. But at the level HP is at they wouldn’t look to a lower classification for a coach IMO. Is it right? No I don’t think so. But that is the truth IMO. The powers to be would not be happy with a AD from lil’ ol’ Argyle. Just my opinion.

All-District

Quote Originally Posted by regaleagle View Post
    Rogers has done an absolutely awesome job at Argyle. There is no doubt. It is the best athletic program at the 4a level. The only one close was AW. But Rogers has benefited immensely from being at Argyle, and Argyle staying in 4a (old 3a) for so long. Most of the time these rich suburban schools grow quickly. Argyle has the advantage of playing towns and communities in 4a where most of them are hovering right around or below the median income for a family in the state. Money makes a huge difference in HS athletics. Argyle has a definite demographic advantage over most every other school in 4a. There are a couple other, but no many. There is a reason these surburban schools like Argyle, Aledo, HP, SLC, etc do much better than inner city or poor rural area schools.

So yes Rogers is awesome. But he has it a lot easier than most AD at the 4a level. I think most can understand what I am talking about. I just don’t think a school with the pedigree and expectations of HP would take a chance on a coach from lower levels.
    Last edited by Dawgs; 04-20-2018 at 09:13 AM.

All-American
    Blog Entries

I understand your point, Dawgs......but the simple fact is that there are a grouping of schools in 4A that CAN compete at the 5A level very competitively because of these very same advantages you just mentioned......Argyle being one of them. As far as any larger classification school hiring a highly successful coach/AD from a smaller classification to fill its position......I really don't see that as being an issue.......especially moving only one classification up. As mentioned earlier by dotc0m, similar demographics, resources, and circumstances encountered will become a large consideration when determining if that candidate would be a good fit for the jump upward to the larger classification school. It happens all the time.......we should get Matt Stepp to chime in here on a few examples. Sometimes a change is made when the larger class school is not competitive and hires a candidate that has been successful at a lower classification level. However, most successful AD's will simply stay put unless the overall perks of the position at least equal or have potential to exceed what the candidate has at his disposal at the smaller class school......in many different respects.

All-American
    Blog Entries

Oh well......it's a good topic for discussion in the off-season for any number of open positions all over the state.