Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    All-American
    Blog Entries

There were some teams that suffered their first loss in district play tonight......
    Midlothian Heritage(15-4/7-1) lost 8-3 to Stephenville(10-11-2/4-4)
    Navasota(14-5/6-1) was defeated 1-0 by La Grange(12-10/5-4)
    Sweeny(21-2/5-1) lost 6-1 to Bay City(8-11/2-4)
    Boerne(19-3/7-1) lost 8-4 to Fredericksburg(17-5/7-1)......last week Fredericksburg lost to Boerne 4-0.
    Yesterdays are gone forever and tomorrows may never happen, but today you have the opportunity to make a difference.

All-American
    Blog Entries

Argyle remains undefeated (22-0). Godley has one loss (16-1), and so does Iowa Park(19-1), and don't ever count out Abilene Wylie(16-2).....all in Region I along with a very good Bushland(20-4). Canton(20-2), Texarkana Pleasant Grove(16-3), Princeton(15-3), and Kilgore(14-3) all look to be very good in Region II against an undefeated Argyle. The Center Roughriders(15-4) out of District 16 in Region II are still undefeated in district play(8-0) and cannot be overlooked. In Region III the favorites seem to be Robinson(15-3/8-0) and Salado(17-2/8-0), but looks like there are plenty others that will contend for the region title. Madisonville(17-7/6-0), Taylor(20-5/7-1), Navasota(14-5/6-1), Jasper(20-5/3-1), Little Cypress-Mauriceville(23-4/5-1) along with Bridge City(16-7/5-1) in the same District 22 will all be tough to beat. In Region IV, Sweeny(21-2/5-1) is considered the favorite. Boerne(19-3/7-1) and Fredericksburg(17-5/7-1) out of District 28 are both highly ranked teams though. So is Wimberley(15-3/3-1) and Robstown(17-4/10-0). Look out for Cuero(16-5/4-0).....and Sinton(12-6/7-3) should NEVER be counted out. Zapata(13-5/9-0) is handily winning District 32 and should also be considered as a threat.
    There are some other very good teams not mentioned here that could cause some problems for some of these teams in the playoffs.......baseball playoffs can be quirky. There can be a one-game/winner advances scenario instead of the regular 3-gamer tilt. Put your best pitcher against a team with a better record in a one-gamer and see what happens. Usually a coin flip is made and the winner chooses either a one-gamer or best of 3 playoff scenario. Stay tuned as we near the end of district play and the first round of the playoffs......there will be lots of "upsets" in the early rounds.
    Last edited by regaleagle; 04-12-2018 at 09:50 AM.
    Yesterdays are gone forever and tomorrows may never happen, but today you have the opportunity to make a difference.

All-American
    Blog Entries

When the cream rises to the top as the playoffs get underway.......some of those top teams can be eliminated before the regional final. This happens almost every year in at least one of the regions, so you can never tell which team will win the regional final and advance to State. Sometimes the top-rated team in the entire classification will not make it to State. Having at least two quality pitchers, but usually three.....along with good hitting......seems to be the recipe for success in the playoffs. But because of the one-gamer scenario this is not always true. A really good pitcher could send a team deeper into the playoffs......until they eventually lose to a better, more balanced team as they get deeper into the playoff scenario. Looks like there is no predominant favorite in any of these regions this season.....except for maybe Argyle out of Region II. But I wouldn't bet on it.

All-American
    Blog Entries

So what does all of this mean??? It means there are plenty of teams in 4A that have a chance to win the whole enchilada.....regardless of their won/loss record. Any team could get "hot" or "cold" in the playoffs......or get some good breaks or bad breaks when their season is on the line. Sometimes good hitting overcomes even the best pitching, and sometimes it's just a timely hit in a very close game that can make the difference. Or an untimely error. Lots of ways to win and lots of ways to lose.......time to be perfect.

Sinton
    Last 5 years
    2 trips to Austin, 1 region finalist and 2 region semifinalist.

This season does seem there is alot of teams having a great season so far and region i'm most familiar with is R4 and that seems loaded this year.

Quote Originally Posted by regaleagle View Post
    So what does all of this mean??? It means there are plenty of teams in 4A that have a chance to win the whole enchilada.....regardless of their won/loss record. Any team could get "hot" or "cold" in the playoffs......or get some good breaks or bad breaks when their season is on the line. Sometimes good hitting overcomes even the best pitching, and sometimes it's just a timely hit in a very close game that can make the difference. Or an untimely error. Lots of ways to win and lots of ways to lose.......time to be perfect.
    Last year’s Gilmer team is a good example of this.

They had to beat Gladewater in a play-in game to even make the playoffs as the 4th seed. They went on to beat D16 champion, Carthage in a 3-game series in the first round. Then beat Paris (3rd D14) 1-0 in the 2nd round. Rain kept that from being a 3-game series. They then knocked off their own district champion Kilgore in a 3-game series in round 3 before falling to Decatur, 2-0 in a 1-game series.

You never know what can happen in baseball.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Buckeye P.R.I.D.E.

All-American
    Blog Entries

Argyle defeated Sanger 15-6 on Friday to go (23-0/6-0) for the season. THSBCA.com has not entered all the results from Friday and Saturday yet. Argyle was scheduled to play a nondistrict game with Celina on Saturday at noon, but I cannot find the results to that game anywhere. It was extremely windy in the area on Saturday.

All-American
    Blog Entries

We will see what will happen in district play this week. By this time next week, some of the districts will be completed with district play. In this week's Top 25 in 4A according to THSBCA.com......looks like they have 6 teams from Region I, 5 teams from Region II, 8 teams from Region III, and 6 teams out of Region IV rated. Of course these rankings are just somebody's opinion......just like I have my own opinion on which teams should be ranked what. Don't tell anybody, but they have 4 teams in Region I ranked in the Top 10. Not sure I agree with this, but it really doesn't matter since each region will be eliminating it's own teams to crown a regional champion. As the saying goes......"There can be only one". One out of every region and one to win it all.

Last poll I looked at had Argyle ranked 5th.

in the nation!

Buckeye P.R.I.D.E.

All-American
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by poisoned10 View Post
    Last poll I looked at had Argyle ranked 5th.

in the nation!
    That's MaxPreps XCellent Top 25 ranking.......based on won/loss and some other categories. Lake Travis is #1 in that poll for quite a few weeks.

All-American
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by regaleagle View Post
    That's MaxPreps XCellent Top 25 ranking.......based on won/loss and some other categories. Lake Travis is #1 in that poll for quite a few weeks.
    Lake Travis(25-0) still remains in the #1 slot, and Argyle(23-0) moves up to the #5 slot this week.......this is a national rank. Of course, Argyle has been ranked #1 in Class 4A for the better part of the season.

All-American
    Blog Entries

I've got a fun idea......let's play a game called "Pick the Winners". You will be picking a winner for each region even and especially before the eliminating starts in the playoffs. Then you will also pick a team of your winners to win the State Championship. The picks should begin even before district play is completed so as to give every team in Class 4A consideration. Since we know there will be many teams that are in the playoffs and many surprises that can and will happen.......there could be a team that wins it all that absolutely none of us has picked......especially in a year like this where so many teams seem to be having very good seasons. I'll start the game and be the first to pick. Here's my picks listed below:

Region I Winner: Godley
    Region II Winner: Argyle
    Region III Winner: Salado
    Region IV Winner: Boerne

State Champion: Argyle

All-American
    Blog Entries

For those of you that are not aware.......go to THSBCA.com for a complete list of all the teams in each district by clicking on to 4A. There you will find each team in every district listed by district, their won/loss records for the season and in district play. There are 8 districts in each region.....Region I comprises districts 1-8, Region II districts 9-16 and so forth. Obviously, you can easily eliminate many of the teams not having a good season simply by using this site's information. In a year like this, a "darkhorse" winner could easily emerge and become the State Champion.

BTW.......the top 4 teams in each district will qualify for the playoffs.
    Last edited by regaleagle; 04-17-2018 at 10:43 AM.

Letterman

1- Godley
    2- Argyle
    3- Robinson
    4- Sweeny

State Champ - Sweeny

All-American

Let's see... who is the defending Back-to-Back State Champions? 17-2 and not even mentioned in these conversations? Hmmm...