Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    All-American
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by slingshot View Post
    Let's see... who is the defending Back-to-Back State Champions? 17-2 and not even mentioned in these conversations? Hmmm...
    If you read the entire thread you will see Abilene Wylie mentioned many times. I just think they had better and more mature players last season and the season before last.......how many times in a row can they keep winning it???
    Yesterdays are gone forever and tomorrows may never happen, but today you have the opportunity to make a difference.

Letterman

Quote Originally Posted by regaleagle View Post
    If you read the entire thread you will see Abilene Wylie mentioned many times. I just think they had better and more mature players last season and the season before last.......how many times in a row can they keep winning it???
    I didn’t mention them simply because they HAVE won it back to back. Surely, at some point, they won’t win the State Championship. Lol. I’m betting the odds here.

All-American
    Blog Entries

Because of the nature of the game and so many variables in play.......It's probably more difficult in baseball to repeat than it is in football. Plus, the number of games played is double the amount of that in football for those that make it to State. I say this, but then we see Abilene Wylie repeat as SC in baseball. Carthage in 4A has repeated in football, and Argyle has come very close. Other classifications in football have teams that have repeated many times over the years.......but it seems like in baseball it's difficult to see any team in any classification dominate and repeat as the SC......certainly not as often as in football.
    Yesterdays are gone forever and tomorrows may never happen, but today you have the opportunity to make a difference.

Because of the nature of the game and so many variables in play.......It's probably more difficult in baseball to repeat than it is in football. Plus, the number of games played is double the amount of that in football for those that make it to State. I say this, but then we see Abilene Wylie repeat as SC in baseball. Carthage in 4A has repeated in football, and Argyle has come very close. Other classifications in football have teams that have repeated many times over the years.......but it seems like in baseball it's difficult to see any team in any classification dominate and repeat as the SC......certainly not as often as in football.
    Here is UIL site record page but seems not fully updated but this is what it has:
    Most State Championships

5A
    Houston Bellaire 7 1960, 62, 71, 78, 86, 94, 99

4A
    South San Antonio 7 1958, 59, 61, 63, 64, 66, 67

3A
    Sinton 3 1988, 89, 2002

2A
    Weimar 5 1996, 97, 2000, 01, 03
    China Spring 4 1987, 89, 93, as a conference 2A team, 2000, as a conference 3A team

1A
    Colmesneil 4 1980, 85, 86, 90

Most Consecutive State Championships

5A
    Abilene 2 1956, 57
    Duncanville 2 1975, 76
    Abilene Cooper 2 1987, 88
    Fort Bend Elkins 2 2002, 03

4A
    Brenham 3 1986, 87, 88

3A
    Sinton 2 1988, 89

2A
    Riviera Kaufer 2 1985, 86
    East Bernard 2 1994, 95
    Weimar 2 1996, 97
    Weimar 2 2000, 01

1A
    Colmesneil 2 1985, 86
    Valley Mills 2 1991, 92

So Brenham has done it in the old 4a before 3 straight. Going unbeaten is just as hard only 3 teams in UIL history have gone unbeaten from report i saw on 2016 latest was 2003 Lorena finish 31-0 beating Sinton in championship game in extra innings(9 innings). Sinton was going for its 2nd time to win back to back state titles.

So unbeaten and winning back to back to back are rare.

All-American

Covered the two state East Bernard teams in 94-95 teams when I wrote for the Wharton newspaper. They were that good with a lot of depth at all positions

All-American

Quote Originally Posted by SintonFan_inAustin View Post
    Here is UIL site record page but seems not fully updated but this is what it has:
    Most State Championships

2A
    Weimar 5 1996, 97, 2000, 01, 03

One of the most exciting games of my life was our semifinal game with Weimar in 2002. A crazy rally in the bottom of the 7th that never should have been probably kept Weimar from winning four straight state titles. The first baseman lost a routine pop fly in foul territory in the sun with two outs. The ball fell to the ground, we all took a deep sigh of relief, and a couple of pitches later, we walked 'em off with a little seeing-eye single to RF. What a game.
    Texas Forever.

All-American

Quote Originally Posted by SintonFan_inAustin View Post

So Brenham has done it in the old 4a before 3 straight. Going unbeaten is just as hard only 3 teams in UIL history have gone unbeaten from report i saw on 2016 latest was 2003 Lorena finish 31-0 beating Sinton in championship game in extra innings(9 innings). Sinton was going for its 2nd time to win back to back state titles.

That Lorena team in 2003 was unreal. Homer Bailey was on that team and he was literally untouchable. He was touching triple digits and turning all kinds of heads in the state tournament.
    Texas Forever.

All-American

I was just messin' with you guys. We're not as stout as last year, lot's of new faces, graduated a lot of studs, lost our top pitcher who was nearly unhittable to a football injury. Still have a fantastic winning tradition and a great coaching staff headed by Coach Martin. Could still be a VERY tough out come playoff time...

Quote Originally Posted by d0tc0m View Post
    That Lorena team in 2003 was unreal. Homer Bailey was on that team and he was literally untouchable. He was touching triple digits and turning all kinds of heads in the state tournament.
    What? Didn’t Homer Bailey play for Lagrange?

All-American

Quote Originally Posted by Saggy Aggie View Post
    What? Didn’t Homer Bailey play for Lagrange?

HA! You're right! In my mind, I read LaGrange, not Lorena. My bad. LaGrange won it the next year.

Everyone get back to work.
    Last edited by d0tc0m; 04-20-2018 at 07:44 AM.
    Texas Forever.

All-American
    Blog Entries

Anybody else gonna make some "Pick the Winners" predictions for this baseball season......or is it gonna be just Crow22 and Me??? How about you, SintonFan? And what about you Slingshot. Where's Rocket Man Robinson Crusoe's picks, LOL. I know d0tc0m must have his opinion. And all the others that rarely post but read this thread and follow the action thru the season. And where's Scoop??? He's always following those Region IV districts......I know he has an opinion on those teams at least.
    Last edited by regaleagle; 04-20-2018 at 11:41 AM.

Anybody else gonna make some "Pick the Winners" predictions for this baseball season......or is it gonna be just Crow22 and Me??? How about you, SintonFan? And what about you Slingshot. Where's Rocket Man Robinson Crusoe's picks, LOL. I know d0tc0m must have his opinion. And all the others that rarely post but read this thread and follow the action thru the season. And where's Scoop??? He's always following those Region IV districts......I know he has an opinion on those teams at least.
    I would like to see Sinton get a rematch with Argyle, Robinson or Salado.. those are teams that have ended Sinton season last 3 years. But offensively haven't gotten on track despite 8 returning starters.

All-State

Since I've been called out................

1 Bushland
    2 Argyle
    3 Robinson
    4 Boerne

Robinson Rockets get their first state championship!

Looks to me like Regions 3 & 4 are gonna be a slugfests
    Rockets Never Quit!

All-American
    Blog Entries

I didn't realize it until now......and nobody corrected me. The website should be txhighschoolbaseball.com........not THSBCA.com.

All-American
    Blog Entries

Listen to this one.......A Tenn. high school player hits a double, 2 grand slams, and a 3-run homer with 4 swings of the bat. This guy is only 5-9/155 lbs. and had hit only 1 homer all season.....a few in batting practice. He says he's not a power hitter. The first swing the ball hit high off the LF fence for a one run double. His 2nd at bat he hit the first pitch over the LF fence for a grand salami. On his 3rd at bat with a lefty pitching now, he hit the first pitch over the LF fence for another grand slam. On his 4th at bat.....with another RH pitcher......he hit the first pitch he swung at over the LF fence for a 3-run homer. But the craziest thing is the pitch before was a passed ball and the runner from 3rd scored!!! This guy had 11 RBI's on 4 hits......and came to the plate with the bases loaded 3 times. His first at bat 2 runners were on base. He went 4 for 4 for the game and his 11 RBI accounted for the difference in the final score 17-6.