Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    All-American

Default Baseball bat mistaken for rifle

From the Victoria Advocate

Manny Perez went to the San Marcos tournament to watch a relative play baseball.

But what Perez saw in Victoria East’s game against Hays Consolidated on Friday shocked him.

Perez watched an East player lying in front of the dugout with what looked like a bat shaped like a rifle pretending to shoot the Hays players on the field.

“What really disturbed me is the kid was lying flat on the ground in front of the dugout,” Perez said. “He was in front of the coaches, the umpires and all of the public. He was lying on the ground pointing his mock AR-15 in the direction of the field of the opposing team, who happened to be playing defense at the time. There was another young man standing next to him, and there’s two blue bottles wrapped in a pink strap, and they were using those as binoculars. It appeared to be like a spotter, and the kid with the mock AR-15 would recoil like an action after shooting his shot.”

Perez, a retired U.S. Border Patrol agent, went to the home plate umpire to report what he had seen but said no action was taken.

“The young man continued to come back out laying on the ground (and) continued to do the same thing or stand in the dugout and continued to do the same thing,” Perez said. “A parent and myself approached the tournament director and told him what was happening. He went to the dugout to tell the coach and the kids to get that thing the hell out of the dugout. It wasn’t until they made a pitching change that the director finally approached the coach.”

A friend of Perez’s took pictures of the student holding the mock rifle and posted them on Facebook.

Perez, who lives in Del Rio but also has a summer cabin in Port Lavaca, emailed Victoria East and called and left a message with the University Interscholastic League about what he had seen.

“I’m not trying to make a stand,” he said. “It disturbs me. This is not about me. It’s about the safety of the students, the players. There was no security at the tournament. On Thursday, the school (San Marcos) had locked down so they could rehearse what could happen in case of an event.”

Perez returned to the tournament Saturday and said he did not see the fake rifle in the East dugout.

Kate Hector, media coordinator for the UIL, said any complaints about what occurred outside the normal scope of an athletic event would go to the UIL’s compliance officer, who would then forward an incident report form to the school or the district executive committee.

Victoria East head coach Wes Kolle referred comments about the incident to VISD athletic director Leonard McAngus.

“We take this very seriously,” McAngus said. “We want to do the right thing. We are addressing this now and moving on. We want to make sure our kids and coaches are more sensitive about how they conduct themselves.”

McAngus said any punishment would be handled in-house but did release a response he sent to Perez in which he apologized on behalf of the school district.

“The behavior you witnessed this past weekend was inappropriate and was in no way representative of the beliefs, values and expectations of our school district,” the response stated in part. “We want to express to you that we take the concern you have brought forward extremely seriously, and we are taking swift action so that this type of behavior does not take place in the future.”

Perez said he did not want to get anyone in trouble but was concerned for the students’ overall safety.

“I just can’t believe this all happened after all this in Florida,” Perez said. “As a federal agent, I feel responsible to report something like this. I know what could have happened that day if somebody had mistaken that mock AR-15 for a real rifle.”

Junior Varsity

Is there nothing better for the paper to write about? Ball players have done this for years lol. Someone wanna go un-wad Mr. Perez's panties?

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 10ForTheWin View Post
    Is there nothing better for the paper to write about? Ball players have done this for years lol. Someone wanna go un-wad Mr. Perez's panties?

I’d like to know how he KNOWS it was a “mock AR 15”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Isn't it strange that after a bombing everyone blames the Crazy Azz bomber(s), but after a shooting the problem is the gun?

Junior Varsity

Quote Originally Posted by 44INAROW View Post
    I’d like to know how he KNOWS it was a “mock AR 15”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I always imagined mine was a .50 Cal, go big or go home IMO

Junior Varsity

Quote Originally Posted by 10ForTheWin View Post
    I always imagined mine was a .50 Cal, go big or go home IMO

I'm sure Salty can weigh in on this topic too lol

The article says the bat was shaped like a rifle...so was it a bat or a wooden rifle?
    Sideline To Sideline Show Each Week at https://lonestargridiron.com/categor...-to-sideline//

There is a pic....
    https://bloximages.newyork1.vip.town...ize=1200%2C800

That is actually a little more than just pointing the bat like a gun and in today's climate I would admit, it is a little much especially with coaches being fine with it.
    Sideline To Sideline Show Each Week at https://lonestargridiron.com/categor...-to-sideline//

All-District

Thank God no batting practice balls were used as grenades! Wait one of the boys does have a ball grenade! Boys have played Army and War forever and BB players get really bored with stand around. Ban AR 15 Bats Now!

Blog Entries

Can we change our nation to The United States of Charmin?
    #37 Ranked Downlow Poster- Coach

All-American

Good thing there was no actual on-duty cop or security guard in the general vicinity or the guy with the bat would now be VERY dead.

All-American

As of today, my sources tell me, you will have to be 21 years of age, or older, in order to buy any baseball bat of any kind from Dick's, Walmart, Academy and a few others.
    Texas Forever.

Quote Originally Posted by d0tc0m View Post
    As of today, my sources tell me, you will have to be 21 years of age, or older, in order to buy any baseball bat of any kind from Dick's, Walmart, Academy and a few others.
    I think the kid 's were just playing a game of Titans vs Rebels . When I was a kid we played Americans vs the Germans or cowboys and Indians. I may have shot a few japs at one time. They are kids and they will come up with some kind of crap no matter what. Kids will be kids. This is not a big deal, if this is the only problem we can dream up we do not have anything to worry about.

All-District

Sail a warm up throw into the dugout. Always used to work when I played.

Quote Originally Posted by Aesculus gilmus View Post
    Good thing there was no actual on-duty cop or security guard in the general vicinity or the guy with the bat would now be VERY dead.
    That's the most intelligent reply so far, as long as you weren't being sarcastic. In the time it takes to think "Oh gee is that a real gun? let me take a closer look", four people could be killed.

Of course, CNN and MSNBC would have a field day with it if someone armed had reacted proactively.
    SWEETWATER

IS GOOD !!!!!!!

While I agree that this was pretty innocent and 'boys being boys' type of stuff, the climate is just different now than 20 years ago. I'm not sure I would have made a scene, but I do know that if those were my players, I would have had a talk with them and told them is not really a good idea so cut it out.
    Judge a man by his questions rather than by his answers.

-Voltaire