All-District

Default Can the C Dawgs make it three in a row.

I truly believe the Dawgs have a legitimate chance to make another run at the title.
    They return a QB that will be one of the best in 4A.
    Three returning O linemen only bigger stronger and quicker. Add the super talented sophomore at 6’5”” 285 pounds and you have what should be one of the best O lines in 4A.
    Now add K Ingram’s little brother who has many D1 offers already, at running back and the Dawgs will run the ball.
    Can the Dawgs introduce a new group of productive receivers is a question.
    The Dawgs bring back three outstanding D linemen, 40, 80, and 82 which will be bigger stronger and faster over the spring and summer workouts.
    They bring back two hard hitting and ball hawking secondary players.
    The Dawgs will have to replace the best trio of linebackers I have ever seen at the 4A level, but last years freshmen and sophomore class was loaded with super talented players that will start on the 2018 Dawgs.
    God Bless coaches, players, and fans.

All-American

I don't know how Carthage keeps up the enthusiasm for football. Very few people in Gilmer are passionate like this about the local high school football team anymore.

I think there are more Gilmers out there than Carthages in terms of the fans. Football is in serious decline at all levels and it's even beginning to hit Texas.

We can't beat you so were just going to give up! - Gilmer Fans
    Carthage Bulldogs

2008, 2009, 2010, 2013, 2016, 2017, 2019, 2020, 2022

9 X State Football Champs

Quote Originally Posted by oldtownag View Post

We can't beat you so were just going to give up! - Gilmer Fans
    Bwahahaha! Give us Scott Surratt and y'all would never beat us. Y'all only have a one game win advantage over us overall. It's just the last two games that sucked. What was the score in 2014 again?

By the way, the "Gilmer fans" that are giving up are treasonous in my opinion, and they just need to move somewhere else. Most of us who were born and raised there will always back the Buckeyes. Just my opinion, and it has absolutely NOTHING to do with Carthage. Y'all will see one day what we're going through sooner or later. Every town does.
    "Kaizen"

".......offense wins games, but DEFENSE wins championships!"

P.R.I.D.E.

Gilmer Buckeyes -State Champions:

2004 3A - Division II
    2009 3A - Division I
    2014 4A - Division II
    2023 4A - Division II

All-District

Water boy you are right about one thing for sure Surratt. As long as he is at Carthage, the Dawgs will always be contenders. He has more state championships than losses in the playoffs. No other high school coach in the nation can say that. Your buckeyes lost their Surratt in Jeff, but they are still one of the very best teams in East Texas.
    I always look forward to the games between the Dawgs and the Buckeyes.

All-District

Quote Originally Posted by Aesculus gilmus View Post
    I don't know how Carthage keeps up the enthusiasm for football. Very few people in Gilmer are passionate like this about the local high school football team anymore.

I think there are more Gilmers out there than Carthages in terms of the fans. Football is in serious decline at all levels and it's even beginning to hit Texas.
    Football is full throttle in Carthage Texas. We are ate up with it. Nothing better than Carthage Football!

Quote Originally Posted by waterboy View Post
    Bwahahaha! Give us Scott Surratt and y'all would never beat us. Y'all only have a one game win advantage over us overall. It's just the last two games that sucked. What was the score in 2014 again?

By the way, the "Gilmer fans" that are giving up are treasonous in my opinion, and they just need to move somewhere else. Most of us who were born and raised there will always back the Buckeyes. Just my opinion, and it has absolutely NOTHING to do with Carthage. Y'all will see one day what we're going through sooner or later. Every town does.
    Ha, Ha LOL. I know. Fair weather fans come from all over. Its just a new phenomenon in Gilmer apparently.
    Carthage Bulldogs

2008, 2009, 2010, 2013, 2016, 2017, 2019, 2020, 2022

9 X State Football Champs

Quote Originally Posted by oldtownag View Post
    Ha, Ha LOL. I know. Fair weather fans come from all over. Its just a new phenomenon in Gilmer apparently.
    It's just complacency on the part of some fans, and that number has grown. Attendance is down. The overall excitement is less. Our teams are not as disciplined as they used to be. There has always been those fans that sit on their hands, and / or think the primary reason for a football game is for a chance to socialize instead of watching. It's always aggravated a rabid fan such as myself when I see people sitting on their hands and / or talking about other stuff while the young men are giving their all out on that field. The true fans will be the ones that actually get into the game, making noise, etc. If your primary reason to attend is NOT to watch a football game, why go? You're not helping the young men on the field.

I hate to say it, but there are a LOT of parents who are whiners, wanna be socialites, me (or my kid) first, "my kid better be playing", "politicking" kind of people in Gilmer. It didn't used to be that way. Politicking has spilled into and influenced our coaching staff, too. That is one place it doesn't belong. Pick the kids that are the best players at a particular position FIRST. No starting position is safe. You have to EARN it. To heck with the parents. If they want to withdraw their kid, let them do it. You have to have a pair to be a successful coach.
    "Kaizen"

P.R.I.D.E.

2004 3A - Division II
    2009 3A - Division I
    2014 4A - Division II
    2023 4A - Division II

All-American

You're right in everything you say, but I don't blame coaches who aren't from here not being able to fade the heat the way Traylor could.

There'll only ever be one Jeff Traylor. I would like to see, in an alternative timeline of history, who he would have started at QB this fall versus who will wind up starting.

As he used to imply, if you don't get the starting QB right, you might as well forget it in terms of being a championship contender. He started Luke Turner over his own son, after all.

You're right in everything you say, but I don't blame coaches who aren't from here not being able to fade the heat the way Traylor could.

There'll only ever be one Jeff Traylor. I would like to see, in an alternative timeline of history, who he would have started at QB this fall versus who will wind up starting.

As he used to imply, if you don't get the starting QB right, you might as well forget it in terms of being a championship contender. He started Luke Turner over his own son, after all.
    Hence, having a pair......., or GROW a pair. If you don't stand up to the parents and do the right thing, your job as a coach will eventually be lost because success will be limited at best. I know Coach Turner will be retiring soon, and he's lost several good coaches since he took over, so he likely isn't going to rock the boat. Heck, if it was me, I wouldn't CARE. He can retire anytime he wants, or he can get a job absolutely anywhere with his offensive mind. The point is, he is the HEAD coach. He shouldn't let ANY outside influence affect his decisions to put the best players out on the field.

I can guarantee Jeff would've benched the last two QBs we've had, at least at some point, even if temporarily. I'd bet that Poppy would've started his sophomore year, too. He would've been all over his poor decision-making at times. Sometimes you just have to have that extra push to get better. I would guess that, if Turner holds to his pattern, that Cade Camp will be the starter this season. If I were head coach, he would've seen PT last season, too. I think Jeff would've probably rotated QBs at times last season because of the TOs, and the played to the different strengths of each.
    "Kaizen"

P.R.I.D.E.

2004 3A - Division II
    2009 3A - Division I
    2014 4A - Division II
    2023 4A - Division II

Letterman

I wouldn't call them fair weather fans. I'm a Carthage fan but I find regular season games anti climatic. With four teams going to the playoffs the games really don't mean as much. Playoffs just brings a totally different level of urgency. I can understand how a successful team can lose regular season fans. I for one will rather watch a Euless Trinity game as opposed to driving to east tx to see Carthage donkey stump a Chapel Hill or Palestine.