All-State

Default Signing Day Controversy

Midway refuses to allow scholarshipped gymnast participate in schools Signing Day event.

http://www.kwtx.com/content/news/Mid...473483753.html

First read, really peeved me off, she definitely deserves her day.

It appears that there were additional circumstances in play not mentioned in the article. Something along the lines that one or more athletes in last years event were not actually in possession of scholarship offer.

The other thing kinda rolled up in this talk is D3 "signing" ceremonies. We discovered from experience that D3 students are actually singing their NCAA Release cards at these ceremonies, not actual scholarships; D3 don't actually offer scholarships, but offer "potential" spots on rosters - nothing binding. My thought is that smaller schools allow D3 signings on Signing Day. This girl definitely deserves her day over the smaller schools D3 signings...

All-American

North Crowley HC was reassigned this week and one reason listed in his reassignment was letting a kid who signed as a preferred walk on participate in a signing day ceremony

Practice Squad

I hate that in most situations school districts are not able to defend themselves. Do we seriously believe the coach was reassigned for letting a legitimate preferred walk-on participate in a signing day ceremony?

All-American

Quote Originally Posted by ahs_indian_fan View Post
    I hate that in most situations school districts are not able to defend themselves. Do we seriously believe the coach was reassigned for letting a legitimate preferred walk-on participate in a signing day ceremony?
    It was listed in his reassignment letter...it wasn't the only reason listed but it was listed....

Practice Squad

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew328 View Post
    It was listed in his reassignment letter...it wasn't the only reason listed but it was listed....
    "misrepresenting a student athlete signing" does not necessarily mean it was solely because it was a preferred walk-on. On the Crowley ISD website, North Crowley had a 'signing' for a kid that is going to a Div. 3 school, which everyone does and everyone knows is not real because there are no athletic scholarships at that level. Why would they allow a D3 signing but not a legitimate preferred walk-on signing? Just seems like there is more to it ... 'misrepresenting' tells me maybe the kid wasn't a preferred walk-on?

All-American

Great question...seems backwards to me!! Shoot me a DM or email I got a question matt.Stepp@texasfootball.com

Practice Squad

Please, just do away with the signing day dog-and-pony show at the school. Fire away

All-American

I disagree, there's nothing wrong with celebrating an accomplishment such as going to the next level....people always talk about a participating ribbon society etc.....and signing day is anything but that....it's celebrating an elite achievement that not everyone can accomplish

Absolutely!
    The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have..... Vince Lombardi

Practice Squad

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew328 View Post
    I disagree, there's nothing wrong with celebrating an accomplishment such as going to the next level....people always talk about a participating ribbon society etc.....and signing day is anything but that....it's celebrating an elite achievement that not everyone can accomplish
    Good point

Quote Originally Posted by ahs_indian_fan View Post
    "misrepresenting a student athlete signing" does not necessarily mean it was solely because it was a preferred walk-on. On the Crowley ISD website, North Crowley had a 'signing' for a kid that is going to a Div. 3 school, which everyone does and everyone knows is not real because there are no athletic scholarships at that level. Why would they allow a D3 signing but not a legitimate preferred walk-on signing? Just seems like there is more to it ... 'misrepresenting' tells me maybe the kid wasn't a preferred walk-on?
    I would not call a D3 signing 'not real'.

While it's true they don't give athletic scholarships, you are naive or ignorant if you don't know that those schools are creative and gets kids extra money for athletics. So, in my mind, it's a distinction without a difference.
    Judge a man by his questions rather than by his answers.

-Voltaire