Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Overrated

All-American

Y'all are killing me the the King George comments. I was watching that guy sing Amarillo By Morning when nobody hardly even knew who was. Wrangler jeans, Tony Lama boots and white Stetsons. That was good times right there.
    Originally posted by Ranger Mom
    Umm...what is a sweet beaver??
    the best kind???

Quote Originally Posted by speedbump View Post
    I love country music and have for 70 years but I agree that Strait though not grossly,is somewhat overrated. He does a good job with Texas Swing but not versatile enough for much else. One of the best ever? Probably not.
    Over 68 MILLION records (in the US alone), CDs, etc., tells otherwise, in my opinion. But..., being one of the best ever in his genre is a no brainer. His music is not all that for everyone. That's where opinions differ. If he wanted to "change" his signature style of music I'm pretty sure he could do it. I just don't think he ever really wanted to because of the success he has had, causing no need to.

I like George's music, but I don't look at him any different than I would any other person. I don't idolize anybody, and honestly don't get how anybody does that.
    Last edited by waterboy; 01-12-2018 at 02:51 PM.
    "Kaizen"

".......offense wins games, but DEFENSE wins championships!"

P.R.I.D.E.

Gilmer Buckeyes -State Champions:

2004 3A - Division II
    2009 3A - Division I
    2014 4A - Division II
    2023 4A - Division II

Quote Originally Posted by lostaussie View Post
    Y'all are killing me the the King George comments. I was watching that guy sing Amarillo By Morning when nobody hardly even knew who was. Wrangler jeans, Tony Lama boots and white Stetsons. That was good times right there.
    Now you talkin' brotha...
    "Kaizen"

P.R.I.D.E.

2004 3A - Division II
    2009 3A - Division I
    2014 4A - Division II
    2023 4A - Division II

All-American

Quote Originally Posted by waterboy View Post
    Over 68 MILLION records (in the US alone), CDs, etc., tells otherwise, in my opinion. But..., being one of the best ever in his genre is a no brainer. His music is not all that for everyone. That's where opinions differ. If he wanted to "change" his signature style of music I'm pretty sure he could do it. I just don't think he ever really wanted to because of the success he has had, causing no need to.

I like George's music, but I don't look at him any different than I would any other person. I don't idolize anybody, and honestly don't get how anybody does that.
    Haggard,Hank Sr., George Jones and Willie are the best ever. George was a good country entertainer with a decent voice but he wasn't close to those guys. Trying to put him there is exactly what this thread is about - overrating.

Stink on stink , low man wins = Ricebird football.

Haggard,Hank Sr., George Jones and Willie are the best ever. George was a good country entertainer with a decent voice but he wasn't close to those guys. Trying to put him there is exactly what this thread is about - overrating.
    I can see the first three being among the best, but I don't see Willie in the same area code. Charlie Pride, maybe? It's all just a matter of opinion. And, yes, George Strait belongs in the group with the first three in my opinion. Everybody is different. Agree to disagree. I categorize, not alone by any stretch of the imagination, GS among the best country artists ever.
    "Kaizen"

P.R.I.D.E.

2004 3A - Division II
    2009 3A - Division I
    2014 4A - Division II
    2023 4A - Division II

All-District

Are you seriously suggesting that George Strait only has a decent voice and in the same breath alleging Willie is one of the 4 best ever?

Lol

Willie has great songs and is a great entertainer but he can't sing for ****.

All-District

Willie in a mainstream Robert Earl Keen.

All-American

Quote Originally Posted by Weebe View Post
    Are you seriously suggesting that George Strait only has a decent voice and in the same breath alleging Willie is one of the 4 best ever?

Lol

Willie has great songs and is a great entertainer but he can't sing for ****.
    I guess I figure two greats and a **** is better than two goods and a decent. Truth is, I've been hammered so many times for saying Willie can't sing,I just started including him in any discussion about country music so I don't have to hear how many records he's sold.

All-American

George Jones is the best country voice of all time. I would put Gary Stewart number two.
    **<Current Month> Hot Girl of the Month**

All-American
    Blog Entries

I know George Strait personally......we were college and beer-drinking buddies at SWTSU in the 70's when he had the Ace in the Hole Band. He's a straight shooter and fine person......and an absolutely great singer. He's done many good deeds in his life and can wake up each morning and look at himself in the mirror with no regrets. George is a fine man......he even redid the Tapatio Springs Golf Resort with his own money that had become run down over there in Boerne where he lives.

I also met George Jones and Tammye Wynette once at the San Antonio Livestock Exposition backstage in the mid 60s when I was in the calf scramble there. Yes.....I did get one of the steers.......20 boys going after 10 steers. You tackle it, halter it, and then drag it across the line. I got third place.......I think I was either 9 or 10 yrs old at the time.
    Last edited by regaleagle; 01-12-2018 at 06:38 PM.
    Yesterdays are gone forever and tomorrows may never happen, but today you have the opportunity to make a difference.

All-American

All-American

Quote Originally Posted by Old Tiger View Post
    George Jones is the best country voice of all time. I would put Gary Stewart number two.
    Gary Stewart!!! I hate that guy drank himself to the grave. That some good music right there.
    Originally posted by Ranger Mom
    Umm...what is a sweet beaver??
    the best kind???

Default Overrated

Quote Originally Posted by regaleagle View Post
    I know George Strait personally......we were college and beer-drinking buddies at SWTSU in the 70's when he had the Ace in the Hole Band. He's a straight shooter and fine person......and an absolutely great singer. He's done many good deeds in his life and can wake up each morning and look at himself in the mirror with no regrets. George is a fine man......he even redid the Tapatio Springs Golf Resort with his own money that had become run down over there in Boerne where he lives.

I also met George Jones and Tammye Wynette once at the San Antonio Livestock Exposition backstage in the mid 60s when I was in the calf scramble there. Yes.....I did get one of the steers.......20 boys going after 10 steers. You tackle it, halter it, and then drag it across the line. I got third place.......I think I was either 9 or 10 yrs old at the time.
    George Jones and Tammy Used to live in Lakeland Florida. Their home is still for sale there. My son built a house not far from it.
    I think George Strait is a good singer and I’ve heard even a better guy. We’ve run into him at Rockport and drank beer At the same restaurant so I guess we drank beer together. Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Isn't it strange that after a bombing everyone blames the Crazy Azz bomber(s), but after a shooting the problem is the gun?

All-American

Faron Young who killed himself

Blog Entries

This has turned into a who is the best country artist. I WANT OVERRATED THINGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    #37 Ranked Downlow Poster- Coach