Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 85

Thread: Overrated

  1. #16
    All-American
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Gilmer
    Posts
    9,594

    Default

    Y'all are killing me the the King George comments. I was watching that guy sing Amarillo By Morning when nobody hardly even knew who was. Wrangler jeans, Tony Lama boots and white Stetsons. That was good times right there.
    Originally posted by Ranger Mom
    Umm...what is a sweet beaver??
    the best kind???

  2. #17
    All-American waterboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Gilmer
    Posts
    9,531

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by speedbump View Post
    I love country music and have for 70 years but I agree that Strait though not grossly,is somewhat overrated. He does a good job with Texas Swing but not versatile enough for much else. One of the best ever? Probably not.
    Over 68 MILLION records (in the US alone), CDs, etc., tells otherwise, in my opinion. But..., being one of the best ever in his genre is a no brainer. His music is not all that for everyone. That's where opinions differ. If he wanted to "change" his signature style of music I'm pretty sure he could do it. I just don't think he ever really wanted to because of the success he has had, causing no need to.

    I like George's music, but I don't look at him any different than I would any other person. I don't idolize anybody, and honestly don't get how anybody does that.
    Last edited by waterboy; 01-12-2018 at 01:51 PM.
    "Trust the Process"

    ".......offense wins games, but DEFENSE wins championships!"

    P.R.I.D.E.

    Gilmer Buckeyes -State Champions:

    2004 3A - Division II
    2009 3A - Division I
    2014 4A - Division II

  3. #18
    All-American waterboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Gilmer
    Posts
    9,531

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lostaussie View Post
    Y'all are killing me the the King George comments. I was watching that guy sing Amarillo By Morning when nobody hardly even knew who was. Wrangler jeans, Tony Lama boots and white Stetsons. That was good times right there.
    Now you talkin' brotha...
    "Trust the Process"

    ".......offense wins games, but DEFENSE wins championships!"

    P.R.I.D.E.

    Gilmer Buckeyes -State Champions:

    2004 3A - Division II
    2009 3A - Division I
    2014 4A - Division II

  4. #19
    All-State
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    El Campo, Tx.
    Posts
    1,906

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by waterboy View Post
    Over 68 MILLION records (in the US alone), CDs, etc., tells otherwise, in my opinion. But..., being one of the best ever in his genre is a no brainer. His music is not all that for everyone. That's where opinions differ. If he wanted to "change" his signature style of music I'm pretty sure he could do it. I just don't think he ever really wanted to because of the success he has had, causing no need to.

    I like George's music, but I don't look at him any different than I would any other person. I don't idolize anybody, and honestly don't get how anybody does that.
    Haggard,Hank Sr., George Jones and Willie are the best ever. George was a good country entertainer with a decent voice but he wasn't close to those guys. Trying to put him there is exactly what this thread is about - overrating.


    Stink on stink , low man wins = Ricebird football.

  5. #20
    All-American waterboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Gilmer
    Posts
    9,531

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by speedbump View Post
    Haggard,Hank Sr., George Jones and Willie are the best ever. George was a good country entertainer with a decent voice but he wasn't close to those guys. Trying to put him there is exactly what this thread is about - overrating.
    I can see the first three being among the best, but I don't see Willie in the same area code. Charlie Pride, maybe? It's all just a matter of opinion. And, yes, George Strait belongs in the group with the first three in my opinion. Everybody is different. Agree to disagree. I categorize, not alone by any stretch of the imagination, GS among the best country artists ever.
    "Trust the Process"

    ".......offense wins games, but DEFENSE wins championships!"

    P.R.I.D.E.

    Gilmer Buckeyes -State Champions:

    2004 3A - Division II
    2009 3A - Division I
    2014 4A - Division II

  6. #21
    All-District
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    El Campo
    Posts
    1,135

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by speedbump View Post
    Haggard,Hank Sr., George Jones and Willie are the best ever. George was a good country entertainer with a decent voice but he wasn't close to those guys. Trying to put him there is exactly what this thread is about - overrating.
    Are you seriously suggesting that George Strait only has a decent voice and in the same breath alleging Willie is one of the 4 best ever?

    Lol

    Willie has great songs and is a great entertainer but he can't sing for ****.

  7. #22
    All-District
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    El Campo
    Posts
    1,135

    Default

    Willie in a mainstream Robert Earl Keen.

  8. #23
    All-State
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    El Campo, Tx.
    Posts
    1,906

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Weebe View Post
    Are you seriously suggesting that George Strait only has a decent voice and in the same breath alleging Willie is one of the 4 best ever?

    Lol

    Willie has great songs and is a great entertainer but he can't sing for ****.
    I guess I figure two greats and a **** is better than two goods and a decent. Truth is, I've been hammered so many times for saying Willie can't sing,I just started including him in any discussion about country music so I don't have to hear how many records he's sold.


    Stink on stink , low man wins = Ricebird football.

  9. #24
    All-American
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    San Antonio
    Posts
    30,783

    Default

    George Jones is the best country voice of all time. I would put Gary Stewart number two.
    **February Hot Girl of the Month**

    Charlize Theron

  10. #25
    All-American
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Football Heaven
    Posts
    14,392
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    I know George Strait personally......we were college and beer-drinking buddies at SWTSU in the 70's when he had the Ace in the Hole Band. He's a straight shooter and fine person......and an absolutely great singer. He's done many good deeds in his life and can wake up each morning and look at himself in the mirror with no regrets. George is a fine man......he even redid the Tapatio Springs Golf Resort with his own money that had become run down over there in Boerne where he lives.

    I also met George Jones and Tammye Wynette once at the San Antonio Livestock Exposition backstage in the mid 60s when I was in the calf scramble there. Yes.....I did get one of the steers.......20 boys going after 10 steers. You tackle it, halter it, and then drag it across the line. I got third place.......I think I was either 9 or 10 yrs old at the time.
    Last edited by regaleagle; 01-12-2018 at 05:38 PM.
    Yesterdays are gone forever and tomorrows may never happen, but today you have the opportunity to make a difference.

  11. #26
    All-State
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    El Campo, Tx.
    Posts
    1,906


    Stink on stink , low man wins = Ricebird football.

  12. #27
    All-American
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Gilmer
    Posts
    9,594

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Old Tiger View Post
    George Jones is the best country voice of all time. I would put Gary Stewart number two.
    Gary Stewart!!! I hate that guy drank himself to the grave. That some good music right there.
    Originally posted by Ranger Mom
    Umm...what is a sweet beaver??
    the best kind???

  13. #28

    Default Overrated

    Quote Originally Posted by regaleagle View Post
    I know George Strait personally......we were college and beer-drinking buddies at SWTSU in the 70's when he had the Ace in the Hole Band. He's a straight shooter and fine person......and an absolutely great singer. He's done many good deeds in his life and can wake up each morning and look at himself in the mirror with no regrets. George is a fine man......he even redid the Tapatio Springs Golf Resort with his own money that had become run down over there in Boerne where he lives.

    I also met George Jones and Tammye Wynette once at the San Antonio Livestock Exposition backstage in the mid 60s when I was in the calf scramble there. Yes.....I did get one of the steers.......20 boys going after 10 steers. You tackle it, halter it, and then drag it across the line. I got third place.......I think I was either 9 or 10 yrs old at the time.
    George Jones and Tammy Used to live in Lakeland Florida. Their home is still for sale there. My son built a house not far from it.
    I think George Strait is a good singer and Ive heard even a better guy. Weve run into him at Rockport and drank beer At the same restaurant so I guess we drank beer together. Lol.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    Isn't it strange that after a bombing everyone blames the Crazy Azz bomber(s), but after a shooting the problem is the gun?

  14. #29
    All-American
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Hungerford
    Posts
    11,293

    Default

    Faron Young who killed himself

  15. #30
    All-American coach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Nacogdoches
    Posts
    9,141
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    This has turned into a who is the best country artist. I WANT OVERRATED THINGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    #37 Ranked Downlow Poster- Coach

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •