Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    All-American

Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    No, i didn’t see the championship game
    I am truly wanting to believe this years Graham team is better that 2012 and I believe that you are. But if the product that you put on the field tomorrow night is not much better than 2012, then I believe you will see the same kind of results.
    Gilmers 2012 team was not even close to being one of our best but we still cruised to the finals. Only to be humiliated by Navasota. Not only that, most of us knew it was coming before it ever started.
    Originally posted by Ranger Mom
    Umm...what is a sweet beaver??
    the best kind???

All-American

Quote Originally Posted by d0tc0m View Post
    I think — and the Buckeye folks can correct me if I'm wrong — the 2012 Gilmer team overachieved a bit. They were obviously very good. But they were far from great. And they were far from being one of Gilmer's best teams. But, as Aussie said, that Navasota team was elite that year, too, so that probably overshadowed what the Buckeyes accomplished.
    The stars lined up for us very well to get our arse kicked.
    the best kind???

All-American

Speaking of stars, as I recall, one of Navasota's stars was sidelined in an auto accident a few days before the game. I remember Gilmer fans high-fiving and chest-bumping each over online before the game over that. It meant victory was INEVITABLE.

Just curious how the Gilmer faithful would rate this PG team compared to the 2012 Gilmer team. That Gilmer team was probably one of the best 4A teams I have ever seen.
    Did you not see 2014 Gilmer? Best team I've ever seen, literally. So much talent at the 4A level.
    Atlanta Rabbits
    District Champs: 41, 45, 46, 47, 49, 50, 51, 53, 54, 57, 64, 66, 68, 70, 77, 78, 90, 91, 92, 94, 95, 98, 99, 01, 02, 03, 06
    Bi-District Champs: 48, 64, 77, 92, 94, 95, 98, 99, 01, 02, 03, 06, 12, 13, 14, 15
    Area Champs: 92, 94, 99, 03, 14, 15
    Regional Champs: 64, 92, 94, 99, 02, 03, 14, 15
    QF, SF Champs: 94, 03
    State Champs: 03

All-American

Quote Originally Posted by H3llR4z0r View Post
    Did you not see 2014 Gilmer? Best team I've ever seen, literally. So much talent at the 4A level.
    I liked our 09 team better. To roll through WOS, Navasota, Cuero and Abilene Wylie in consecutive weeks was almost more that I could take. What crazy is the finals was the easiest one of them all. The Navasota and Cuero games were unreal.
    the best kind???

All-American

Now back to the game at hand. I believe PG to be a very good team, but it no way in the "elite" category. I believe they can be beat. Whether or not that happens remains to be seen. But they in no way fall into that "one of the greatest I've ever seen" category. But.......they still might have enough.
    the best kind???

Quote Originally Posted by lostaussie View Post
    I liked our 09 team better. To roll through WOS, Navasota, Cuero and Abilene Wylie in consecutive weeks was almost more that I could take. What crazy is the finals was the easiest one of them all. The Navasota and Cuero games were unreal.
    For personal reasons 04 will still always be mine
    Sideline To Sideline Show Each Week at https://lonestargridiron.com/categor...-to-sideline//

I am truly wanting to believe this years Graham team is better that 2012 and I believe that you are. But if the product that you put on the field tomorrow night is not much better than 2012, then I believe you will see the same kind of results.
    Gilmers 2012 team was not even close to being one of our best but we still cruised to the finals. Only to be humiliated by Navasota. Not only that, most of us knew it was coming before it ever started.
    This years team is way more explosive on offense. Might be the best offense we have had since 2009. I don’t think the defense is as good as the 2009 or 2014 teams but they are plenty stout.

All-American

This years team is way more explosive on offense. Might be the best offense we have had since 2009. I don’t think the defense is as good as the 2009 or 2014 teams but they are plenty stout.
    They will have to be on defense. This is where the problem may come in. I think Graham can score some points but I am very worried about how physical PG is. The Steers will have to make some hard one on one tackles or they will be reading the backs of PGs uniforms. If they can make those key tackles, not get blown away by fresh legs in the first half and get into the 2nd half with the game close, I like their chances. Those first 12 to 18 minutes may make or break you.
    the best kind???

All-American

Quote Originally Posted by Txbroadcaster View Post
    For personal reasons 04 will still always be mine
    Yes. You were close to that team. I remember that Championship game like it was yesterday. Never thought my Dad would get to see a State championship for Gilmer. I was beside myself. I can promise, the first one is always the best one!!!
    the best kind???

All-American

Danggit, the more Duece posts the more worried I'm getting. I felt like I was the only one east of the Sabine River toting Grahams flag. Now I'm about to jump ship
    the best kind???

I believe this game will come down to how good the Graham d-line/front 7 are. Celina has been the most successful team I've personally seen at stopping PG, and they did so with that best of a DT Roach (#45). That's the only reason that game stayed close, was because that kid was able to get to the QB before he could throw the ball.

With that being said, PG still found a way to move the ball, and before the first half was over, had the Celina D-line with their hands on their hips. Celina had a good front. I saw them dismantle a great Jasper offensive line. PG handled them well enough to win the ball game.

PG's front 7 are the real deal. Really and underestimated group of kids. I heard time and time again how Melissa's speed was going to be too much, how the QB was going to throw all over them, just a seemingly endless list of reasons why Melissa was going to win. Well, PG has already seen one of the fastest teams in 4A, and speed was a non-factor. Melissa's QB was good, and I think he has a bright future, but he was not effective all night due to the pass rush. In fact, if not for his mobility, the Melissa/PG game would have been so much worse.

I'm not seasoned on Graham, but I'm very seasoned on the teams in East Tx, so I will tell you things to look for. Graham's offensive line is going to have to play spot on. No missed assignments, no missed blocks. Not only that, but Graham is going to have to orchestrate their offense to throw to the outside, and maybe roll their QB out of the pocket. PG is really, really good at getting hands up to bat the ball down. I believe their freshman DE is 6'6", so he can cover some air space. They're also very good at closing the pocket and getting penetration. Melissa's most success came when they rolled their QB out away from the D-line, but even still, PG brought blitzes from all over. That's where Graham's receivers will have to pick it up, and run great routes. Streaks down the field will not work. Gotta stick to the basics. PG's DBs play man-to-man very well. Melissa's speedy WRs hardly ever created separation. I only saw 1 break down in coverage all night, and the PG d-line batted the ball when the QB threw it. Graham defensively will have to get very good penetration on the line, and quickly. They have to be able to stop the run while committing the least amount of defenders possible, because PG runs a lot of tricky passes out of the wing T. They will have to stay disciplined, and always remain on their assignments.

I'm not saying all this because PG is a super team, I'm just stating their strengths. Graham may very well match and over-power all of them, I'm just telling you what PG has done in the past.

I love 4A ball, and I'm going to miss it. I will see one of these 2 teams next week however, regardless. Pulling for PG, but no hard feelings Steers! Y'all have a special place in my heart too, and I will pull for you guys if you put my district champs out! Good luck and pray for a clean, crisp game, and that the kids can leave it all out on the field! This is a special time for all of them, and some will never suit up in pads again. Relish every moment, win or lose!
    Atlanta Rabbits
    District Champs: 41, 45, 46, 47, 49, 50, 51, 53, 54, 57, 64, 66, 68, 70, 77, 78, 90, 91, 92, 94, 95, 98, 99, 01, 02, 03, 06
    Bi-District Champs: 48, 64, 77, 92, 94, 95, 98, 99, 01, 02, 03, 06, 12, 13, 14, 15
    Area Champs: 92, 94, 99, 03, 14, 15
    Regional Champs: 64, 92, 94, 99, 02, 03, 14, 15
    QF, SF Champs: 94, 03
    State Champs: 03

They will have to be on defense. This is where the problem may come in. I think Graham can score some points but I am very worried about how physical PG is. The Steers will have to make some hard one on one tackles or they will be reading the backs of PGs uniforms. If they can make those key tackles, not get blown away by fresh legs in the first half and get into the 2nd half with the game close, I like their chances. Those first 12 to 18 minutes may make or break you.
    This team tackles as good as any Graham team that I have seen. I think the strength of our defense is the front 7. #99 is the only one that will blow you away size wise. #71 is not huge but is very strong with a high motor. #17 is a ball hawk that will lay the wood. #8 is always around the ball and reads defenses very well from the MLB spot. This defense will not “wow” you size wise, but they are well coached, execute at a very high level, and fly to the ball and gang tackle. Will it be enough? We will find out tomorrow!

Danggit, the more Duece posts the more worried I'm getting. I felt like I was the only one east of the Sabine River toting Grahams flag. Now I'm about to jump ship
    NO!! I need all the help I can get!

Yes. You were close to that team. I remember that Championship game like it was yesterday. Never thought my Dad would get to see a State championship for Gilmer. I was beside myself. I can promise, the first one is always the best one!!!
    Was a joy to be fresh out of college and picking them up for the playoffs(first offical stream of Gilmer!!!) Then having recent grad of Gilmer as my Color guy made it some much fun. Plus the relationships I made with the players and coaches was just so great. One of the best team I have been around as far as personalities and attitudes. Their play off cames were so awesome. Tatum v Gilmer and Gilmer vs Jasper are in my top 3 of games I broadcasted.
    Sideline To Sideline Show Each Week at https://lonestargridiron.com/categor...-to-sideline//