Default Jeff Traylor named interim HC @ SMU

Congratulations to Jeff! Maybe it's his turn to be a HC at the college level.

http://sportsday.dallasnews.com/coll...-full-time-job
    "Kaizen"

".......offense wins games, but DEFENSE wins championships!"

P.R.I.D.E.

Gilmer Buckeyes -State Champions:

2004 3A - Division II
    2009 3A - Division I
    2014 4A - Division II
    2023 4A - Division II

All-American

Congrats to Jeff! Big-time move, right there!

But, also, dang. As a Hogs fan and UofA alum, I was hoping Morris would bring Traylor along and really bolster our recruiting. That was one thing Bielema just never figured out how to do well ... recruit Texas.
    Texas Forever.

All-American

A friend of mine believes the reason Traylor was named "Associate Head Coach" when he was hired was so he would succeed Morris whenever the latter left. It was never in "the plan" for Traylor to follow Morris anywhere.

Morris WANTED to leave for Baylor last year and his first choice destination this year was A&M. I don't think anyone wants to stay at SMU very long if they don't have to. It was different back when it was effectively a pro team under Ron Meyer, but that was way before the time of most on here.

Quote Originally Posted by Aesculus gilmus View Post
    A friend of mine believes the reason Traylor was named "Associate Head Coach" when he was hired was so he would succeed Morris whenever the latter left. It was never in "the plan" for Traylor to follow Morris anywhere.

Morris WANTED to leave for Baylor last year and his first choice destination this year was A&M. I don't think anyone wants to stay at SMU very long if they don't have to. It was different back when it was effectively a pro team under Ron Meyer, but that was way before the time of most on here.
    It would be nice if SMU got back to prominence after the scandals that killed the program years ago. Aside from a few decent seasons record wise, the Mustangs haven't done anything since the sanctions were imposed then. I would like to see Jeff get his shot, and I hope the AD and alum at SMU have enough patience to let him surround himself with a good staff so that he has a fair chance. I think he is one of the best motivators and recruiters in the business regardless, and given time I think he could do good things at the collegiate level.
    "Kaizen"

P.R.I.D.E.

2004 3A - Division II
    2009 3A - Division I
    2014 4A - Division II
    2023 4A - Division II

I keep thinking Surrat may be moving up soon, if he has such aspirations.
    Yellow Jacket for Life!

Quote Originally Posted by Sville View Post
    I keep thinking Surrat may be moving up soon, if he has such aspirations.
    I'm thinking Scott Surratt will stay on at Carthage for a few more seasons before making the big jump on the pay scale IF the right offer comes. I like how Scott can always come up with balanced teams that are good on both sides of the ball, and if I'm ever in a big game there's nobody better than Surratt, in my opinion.
    "Kaizen"

P.R.I.D.E.

2004 3A - Division II
    2009 3A - Division I
    2014 4A - Division II
    2023 4A - Division II

All-American

Surratt has already waited too long. He's nearly 50. In fact, if Traylor had it to do over again, I'd imagine he'd have gone to the next level WAY sooner. He was nearly 47 when he left Gilmer.

Tom Herman, who never coached anything but college football, is 42 and is making a base salary of $5.2 million a year. At the same age, Traylor was making barely six figures.

Maybe he looks back on those years in Gilmer and thinks those lost millions (potentially tens of millions, at that) were worth it for what he accomplished. You'd have to ask him.

Quote Originally Posted by Aesculus gilmus View Post
    Surratt has already waited too long. He's nearly 50. In fact, if Traylor had it to do over again, I'd imagine he'd have gone to the next level WAY sooner. He was nearly 47 when he left Gilmer.

Tom Herman, who never coached anything but college football, is 42 and is making a base salary of $5.2 million a year. At the same age, Traylor was making barely six figures.

Maybe he looks back on those years in Gilmer and thinks those lost millions (potentially tens of millions, at that) were worth it for what he accomplished. You'd have to ask him.
    Doesn't their retirement include the compensation they received while teaching / coaching in the college ranks?
    "Kaizen"

P.R.I.D.E.

2004 3A - Division II
    2009 3A - Division I
    2014 4A - Division II
    2023 4A - Division II

All-American

Hear they’re going to hire Sonny Dykes and that Traylor may be getting offered a position back at Texas.
    **<Current Month> Hot Girl of the Month**

All-American

Nope, I get my wish! Word is he IS following Morris to Arkansas! Huge, huge get for the Hogs, in my opinion.
    Texas Forever.