Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Aesculus gilmus View Post
    Is it legal for players on the defense to call out the signals as if they are quarterbacking the offense? That's what Melissa was doing, I was told. That's why there were six false start penalties on Gilmer.

I don't think it affected the outcome of the game, but it seems like dirty pool to me.

As for the game, if Melissa is on, I think they can out-athlete Pleasant Grove. It also depends on which team adjusts to 39-degree weather as well. Last year in Waco, it was clear to me that Gilmer couldn't handle playing in cold weather. That's why I'm almost relieved we lost last week, the more I think about it.

It's also why I'm not going to the New Diana-Gunter game in Royse City. Too damn COLD!!!
    Honestly, I think Melissa will DEFINITELY have to be "on" to beat PG. By the same token, I think PG will need to get off to a strong start, and not put the ball on the ground. A slow start by PG, a good start by Melissa, and we're looking at a shootout.

I don't think the game will be a shootout. I look for a 30 something to 20 something type game, with PG getting the win.
    "Kaizen"

".......offense wins games, but DEFENSE wins championships!"

P.R.I.D.E.

Gilmer Buckeyes -State Champions:

2004 3A - Division II
    2009 3A - Division I
    2014 4A - Division II
    2023 4A - Division II

Quote Originally Posted by d0tc0m View Post
    As much as Gilmer shot themselves in the foot, though, I saw Melissa leave a few TDs on the board as well. The dropped TD pass in the first quarter on one of the prettiest throws you'll ever see a sophomore QB make, the INT in the red zone in the second quarter, the questionable play calling later in the quarter that led to a turnover on downs inside the red zone, the blocked PAT returned for 2 points. You take those away, and Melissa flat out blows Gilmer away, in my opinion. You take both teams' mistakes away, though, and Melissa still wins.

Look, I hear you on PG. They're for real. You won't hear — or read — me knocking on that team at all. And they really do believe this is their year, and maybe it is. But, like I said, I think Melissa has the makeup to beat them. And if not Melissa, Graham certainly does in the next round.

We do, however, agree on the point that Melissa will have to have success throwing the ball in order to establish their running game. To me, that's the whole game right there. That's it. Can Melissa move the chains by throwing the football or not? For my dollar, Melissa's QB, Lewis, is better than Poppy, and come Friday, he may be the best QB PG has faced this season. I'd say he was second, behind Argyle's Copeland, in terms of QBs I watched play this year. He's got a really strong arm and a quick delivery, and he's got receivers that can take the top off the defense. He can also scoot when the pocket collapses. But so can/could Celina's QB, Ross, and he had no luck whatsoever getting away from the PG pressure. So, again, if/as the Cardinals have success throwing the football, all of a sudden, another Hawk helmet or two has to drop back into coverage, and then Lewis has some open running lanes. It was that very thing that helped Melissa put the game away against Celina earlier in the year. Could be the same story late tomorrow evening.
    What game were you watching? Gilmer could've put Melissa away in the first half if they would've executed better. Had chances in the second half and couldn't execute. Melissa only scored 35 against our defense? We've had 7 opponents this season that scored more than that against us. We played horribly and deserved to lose, and that not taking anything away from Melissa at all. Just saying.
    "Kaizen"

P.R.I.D.E.

2004 3A - Division II
    2009 3A - Division I
    2014 4A - Division II
    2023 4A - Division II

All-American

Quote Originally Posted by waterboy View Post
    What game were you watching? Gilmer could've put Melissa away in the first half if they would've executed better. Had chances in the second half and couldn't execute. Melissa only scored 35 against our defense? We've had 7 opponents this season that scored more than that against us. We played horribly and deserved to lose, and that not taking anything away from Melissa at all. Just saying.

Hahaha, yeah, we must've seen an entirely different game, because I in no way saw Gilmer with any chances of putting Melissa away. Like I said, I saw Melissa leave at least two scores on the board for 'lack of execution.' So Melissa 'only' scored 35 points, but it could have just as easily been 49 points, or more. And, for what it's worth, that was not one of the better offensive performances I've seen from the Cardinals (granted I only saw them once live this year, and the rest was on film), either. In fact, my hunch is the Melissa faithful would tell you that played pretty poorly, offensively, especially in the first half.

But, that's neither here nor there. How is Gilmer's dribbling team this year? I'm not even sure if Celina fielded one or not. I better look into that.
    Texas Forever.

All-American

I like the confidence. I tend to think that "could" happen, but Melissa is resilient and won't go away easily. I think PG's defense is just better than Melissa's, and their offense is just as good. Some will say that Melissa held Gilmer to 23 points. I disagree. Gilmer held Gilmer to 23 points. Yes, Gilmer's defense only gave up 35 points to Melissa, but we were never really very good on that side of the ball this year, or last year, to be honest.

And before anybody rails me for my comments, I give Melissa the credit for doing what they did, and that was win. That's all that matters.
    Gilmer's defense played about as well as could be expected. 35 points is in the margin of error for what they gave up per game this year. Once this pattern was established, you knew this team wasn't winning state. Gilmer should have been up 21-0 (block in the back called on Granville, which was caused by a very clever spin move by a Melissa defender, nullified a long gain by Webb) at the half rather than 14-0. Later in the game, Poppy's TD pass to Qua Heath which would have given us a 30-28 lead was called back due to Devon King being three yards downfield.

So just right there, you'd have Gilmer winning, 37-35. But, in the final analysis, you've got to give the Fort Worth Chapter credit. They were eagle-eyed. They were very legalistic, I thought, compared to the ones in this area. But the rules are the rules.

Quote Originally Posted by Aesculus gilmus View Post
    Gilmer's defense played about as well as could be expected. 35 points is in the margin of error for what they gave up per game this year. Once this pattern was established, you knew this team wasn't winning state. Gilmer should have been up 21-0 (block in the back called on Granville, which was caused by a very clever spin move by a Melissa defender, nullified a long gain by Webb) at the half rather than 14-0. Later in the game, Poppy's TD pass to Qua Heath which would have given us a 30-28 lead was called back due to Devon King being three yards downfield.

So just right there, you'd have Gilmer winning, 37-35. But, in the final analysis, you've got to give the Fort Worth Chapter credit. They were eagle-eyed. They were very legalistic, I thought, compared to the ones in this area. But the rules are the rules.
    You didn't feel the imbalance in the officiating? Melissa got away with several plays where penalties should've been called. Oh, well, you have to overcome it. It's part of the game.
    "Kaizen"

P.R.I.D.E.

2004 3A - Division II
    2009 3A - Division I
    2014 4A - Division II
    2023 4A - Division II

Hahaha, yeah, we must've seen an entirely different game, because I in no way saw Gilmer with any chances of putting Melissa away. Like I said, I saw Melissa leave at least two scores on the board for 'lack of execution.' So Melissa 'only' scored 35 points, but it could have just as easily been 49 points, or more. And, for what it's worth, that was not one of the better offensive performances I've seen from the Cardinals (granted I only saw them once live this year, and the rest was on film), either. In fact, my hunch is the Melissa faithful would tell you that played pretty poorly, offensively, especially in the first half.

But, that's neither here nor there. How is Gilmer's dribbling team this year? I'm not even sure if Celina fielded one or not. I better look into that.
    It's obvious you didn't see the same game. Maybe you needed your orange-colored glasses on when you watched film instead of the red-colored ones that you put away for the year. Oh, wait, weren't you at the other game?

Yes, Gilmer could've put this game away, especially considering the mistakes that Melissa made, but they couldn't capitalize because of their own inability to execute. Melissa had what, 15 yards in penalties, while Gilmer had over 120? Gilmer had a couple of big plays called back, including a TD, because of penalties. Melissa had at least one critical drive that was extended due to a PI call, a really bad call. That's the breaks, though. Melissa gets to play another week, while we go pick up those round orange balls that go thump, thump. How's Celina's thump thump team?

By the way, for what it's worth, I had no delusions of a state championship this season. We just never even looked like we had any semblance to that caliber of team.
    "Kaizen"

P.R.I.D.E.

2004 3A - Division II
    2009 3A - Division I
    2014 4A - Division II
    2023 4A - Division II

All-American

How is Gilmer's dribbling team this year?
    Our girls team is off to an 8-1 start.

All-American

It's obvious you didn't see the same game. Maybe you needed your orange-colored glasses on when you watched film instead of the red-colored ones that you put away for the year. Oh, wait, weren't you at the other game?

Yes, Gilmer could've put this game away, especially considering the mistakes that Melissa made, but they couldn't capitalize because of their own inability to execute. Melissa had what, 15 yards in penalties, while Gilmer had over 120? Gilmer had a couple of big plays called back, including a TD, because of penalties. Melissa had at least one critical drive that was extended due to a PI call, a really bad call. That's the breaks, though. Melissa gets to play another week, while we go pick up those round orange balls that go thump, thump. How's Celina's thump thump team?

By the way, for what it's worth, I had no delusions of a state championship this season. We just never even looked like we had any semblance to that caliber of team.

I think you’re taking my observations too personally, waterboy. I’m no Gilmer hater. I’m impartial in this discussion. I saw the whole game on film, not in person. But I had seen both teams in person this year. In my opinion, Melissa was a much better team. Just like PG was a much, much better team than Celina. There were absolutely missed calls against Melissa. But there were also some missed calls against Gilmer. That’s the way it goes man.

And I already beat you to the punch on the Celina playing basketball joke, but nice try. I was hoping you’d get the jocularity by my making a hoops joke with you, since both our teams got knocked out last week. Oh, well. That’s the internet, man, what can you do?
    Texas Forever.

I think you’re taking my observations too personally, waterboy. I’m no Gilmer hater. I’m impartial in this discussion. I saw the whole game on film, not in person. But I had seen both teams in person this year. In my opinion, Melissa was a much better team. Just like PG was a much, much better team than Celina. There were absolutely missed calls against Melissa. But there were also some missed calls against Gilmer. That’s the way it goes man.

And I already beat you to the punch on the Celina playing basketball joke, but nice try. I was hoping you’d get the jocularity by my making a hoops joke with you, since both our teams got knocked out last week. Oh, well. That’s the internet, man, what can you do?
    I ain't taking your "observations" personally. It's over and done with. I just don't see the game the same way you do at all, nor the "team" that you say you saw as being much better, and that's being as objective as I can be. Just a disagreement. Melissa was a good team, no doubt, but I wasn't nearly as impressed with them as I was with Pleasant Grove. Pleasant Grove was just way more physical, and imposed their will on us. I will definitely be impressed if Melissa can pull it off against PG.

And basketball jokes go both ways 'cause we are both reduced to that.
    "Kaizen"

P.R.I.D.E.

2004 3A - Division II
    2009 3A - Division I
    2014 4A - Division II
    2023 4A - Division II

Just for you I'm going to get the picture of the pass interference call that you claim was not pass interference and shut you up about it.
    1stand10

this is clearly pass interference that Gilmer fans claim wasn't.
    buzzzphotos.shootproof.com/gallery/4503696/album/4235949/photo/757713681
    1stand10

Well crap I don't know how to attatch it.
    1stand10

http://buzzzphotos.shootproof.com/ga...hoto/757713681

There you can go look at it. The Gilmer player has his hand trying to hold down the Melissa receivers arm. That's a penalty for pi.
    1stand10

Gilmer crickets
    1stand10

All-American

Quote Originally Posted by orange machine View Post
    Gilmer crickets
    Gilmer D held on downs during that possession, IIRC, even if it was the correct call. So it wasn't a game changer.

That's very unusual for this team. Melissa in retrospect should've hung at least 56 on us with as many athletes that have now moved into the district. It has not been that difficult for teams with talent on offense to score close to 50 or more on the 2017 Black Flag Defense.

If Melissa keeps getting those athletes moving in from McKinney (which is what I read on the app today), they are going to continue to be a force in Division I. They've basically gone from being the Washington Generals to being the Harlem Globetrotters, if anyone remembers that traveling basketball act.