View Poll Results: Who Continues on the road to Arlington?

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • Liberty Hill Panthers

8 27.59%
  • Waco La Vega Pirates

21 72.41%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    All-State

Default Liberty Hill vs Waco La Vega - The Road To Arlington

Here we go for the Region IV Finals (State Quarter Finals for us old folk).

Liberty Hill fell short during the first meeting 33-18, but the tale of the tape showed how close this game really was.

I firmly believe that Liberty Hill will win this round, the intangibles with this bunch make the difference.
    3rdCROWN12/21/2018

All-American

La Vega defense is the difference maker.

All-District

La Vega Defense is great,defense wins chaampionships,Pirates move to next round

Unlike CS and LH, LV plays D and plays it well.

Default Defnse dammit!

Quote Originally Posted by Rabid Cougar View Post
    LH plays good D on the line and to the second level but when we get deep in the secondary we suck on technique! Safeties have been watching too much D1 and Pro games , but haven't learned to look back and up when the receiver starts tracking the ball. Many times this year they have been hit in the back (or once in the helmet) while defending. Tackling technique also sucks. Coaches need to teach the entire defense how to wrap up a tackle.

Guys it hurts no more than making contact and missing when they brush you off. Hit 'em and wrap them up! Try it, you'll like it!
    Last edited by LHAG; 12-03-2017 at 11:25 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LHAG View Post
    LH plays good D on the line and to the second level but when we get deep in the secondary we suck on technique! Safeties have been watching too much D1 and Pro games , but haven't learned to look back and up when the receiver starts tracking the ball. Many times this year they have been hit in the back (or once in the helmet) while defending. Tackling technique also sucks. Coaches need to teach the entire defense how to wrap up a tackle.

Guys it hurts no more than making contact and missing when they brush you off. Hit 'em and wrap them up! Try it, you'll like it!
    I'll add, when you are not as big as your opponent you have to tackle low, going high on these big guys simply won't work. LH found some defense this past week. They find the rest of it, and we have a real shot at La Vega.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rabid Cougar View Post
    Damn i hate when he is right.

Damnit I can't make this one. Got a feeling it's going to be another classic like last week.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LHPfactory View Post
    Here we go for the Region IV Finals (State Quarter Finals for us old folk).

Liberty Hill fell short during the first meeting 33-18, but the tale of the tape showed how close this game really was.

I firmly believe that Liberty Hill will win this round, the intangibles with this bunch make the difference.
    Factory - what game were you watching? I was running the chains that game and what I saw was them take their foot off the gas about midway 3rd quarter. I want our team to win as much as anybody, but in the end, if we can't tackle and that was I saw a lot of being missed, then we will end up in the same predicament. I suggest our guys spend the week watching Colton Cunninghams game films - kid was a shoe string tackler all day long, because he wasn't the biggest or strongest, but it was damn effective. My guy just went hi and over powered them, and he is finding out now that they are just and big and strong if not stronger than he is. LH plays disciplined defense, makes tackles, and doesn't let the La Vega speed guys run all over the place, and we have a better than average shot at taking a W in this game. Walker is going to have to open the playbook wide open and even draw up some new stuff - La Vega D is good, damn good and we can't get by on up the gut runs, they are too big and too fast. We can out smart them, and that is where the offense is going to have to shine. Any time we get close, we have to put points on the board, whether it be a TD or FG, but we can't come away empty. The intangibles here will be for LH to tackle and wrap up, not let their speed guys run wild and Coach Walker pulling our some of that offensive genius and out smarting a very good defense.
    You Talking to Me?

All-State

Quote Originally Posted by panfan View Post
    Factory - what game were you watching? I was running the chains that game and what I saw was them take their foot off the gas about midway 3rd quarter. I want our team to win as much as anybody, but in the end, if we can't tackle and that was I saw a lot of being missed, then we will end up in the same predicament. I suggest our guys spend the week watching Colton Cunninghams game films - kid was a shoe string tackler all day long, because he wasn't the biggest or strongest, but it was damn effective. My guy just went hi and over powered them, and he is finding out now that they are just and big and strong if not stronger than he is. LH plays disciplined defense, makes tackles, and doesn't let the La Vega speed guys run all over the place, and we have a better than average shot at taking a W in this game. Walker is going to have to open the playbook wide open and even draw up some new stuff - La Vega D is good, damn good and we can't get by on up the gut runs, they are too big and too fast. We can out smart them, and that is where the offense is going to have to shine. Any time we get close, we have to put points on the board, whether it be a TD or FG, but we can't come away empty. The intangibles here will be for LH to tackle and wrap up, not let their speed guys run wild and Coach Walker pulling our some of that offensive genius and out smarting a very good defense.
    I watched the game and the HUDL afterward. Panfan, WLV never let off the gas by any means, LV was only up 19-10 going into the 4th quarter, its crazy to say they let off the gas midway through the 3rd quarter, because the 4th was their biggest scoring quarter ie: LV= Q1=6, Q2=6, Q3=7, Q4=14.
    They outscored us 12-3 in the first half (We were in the redzone 4 times, one gave them the 98 yard fumble return)
    They only outscored us 21-15 in the second half with our 3rd Quarter lull.

I dont know what you saw from the chains, but it certainly wasnt what I saw from the stands or HUDL afterward. You may be mistaking our 4th quarter surge for WLV taking their foot off the gas, Finishing games is something we havent done in a very long time but we are now, One problem we do have is We have seen this LH bunch lull in the 3rd, but are very strong in the 4th. We need a good 3rd Quarter to match our 1, 2, and 4th this week.

As far as tackling goes:
    - They showed improvement vs CS last week, holding the Cougars to their second lowest score in the past 8 games (Playoffs and Distirct) (WLV held them their Season Low in District). The rest of their past 8 games for China Spring have been in the 40s and 50s. We will continue to improve.
    - Also we held Rockport to their 3rd lowest score all season the week before, that was with 6 offensive starters out which led to several turn overs and putting the Defense in a bad spot.
    - The Defense Held a high powered Boerne Offense to their 3rd lowest score (during 4 quarters) of the entire season as well. Grant it our 3rd Quarter lull put us in a shoot out in over time though.

The numbers tell the truth where perception or perspective may be skewed.

My take, is I am confident we beat La Vega if:
    1) We dont shoot ourselves in the foot with turn overs or penalties (12 penalties last week vs China Spring and still won, but cant dot this vs LV as we paid or it over and over in the redzone last time)
    2) Eliminate the 3rd Quarter Lull.
    3) Continue on our Defenses trajectory of improvement.

We do these three things and we will go all the way, if so this will be the best team we have fielded in 10 years, everyone keeps picking against them, thats fine, they never quit so they always have a chance.

Yes, Coach Walker will have a great plan. The team will have to execute it with relentless resolve and play very disciplined to win this week and the following.
    3rdCROWN12/21/2018

All-State

I’m not from LV, but you Barney’s are killing me with the “Waco” in front of LV. It’s not as big a “sin” as the dreaded “s” at the end of CS, but it still grates.

Ok, I got that out of my system, thanks for listening.

BTW, my opinion, I give a slight edge to LV, but I wouldn’t be surprised to see LH win it in a squeaker.

Safe travels to all!!
    Rockets Never Quit!

All-District

I saw the same game you did PANFAN

All-State

Quote Originally Posted by solocam View Post
    I saw the same game you did PANFAN
    Again,
    LV never let off the gas by any means, LV was only up 19-10 going into the 4th quarter, its crazy to say they let off the gas midway through the 3rd quarter, because the 4th was their biggest scoring quarter ie: LV= Q1=6, Q2=6, Q3=7, Q4=14.

Numbers tell the truth...

Watch where you are aiming that Bow Solocam, your eyesight deceives you....lol
    3rdCROWN12/21/2018

I'll add, when you are not as big as your opponent you have to tackle low, going high on these big guys simply won't work. LH found some defense this past week. They find the rest of it, and we have a real shot at La Vega.
    Agree wholeheartedly.Go for the knees or lower but be sure to WRAP THEM UP. You can't just throw your body at their feet and expect to make the tackle.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LHPfactory View Post
    Again,
    LV never let off the gas by any means, LV was only up 19-10 going into the 4th quarter, its crazy to say they let off the gas midway through the 3rd quarter, because the 4th was their biggest scoring quarter ie: LV= Q1=6, Q2=6, Q3=7, Q4=14.

Numbers tell the truth...

Watch where you are aiming that Bow Solocam, your eyesight deceives you....lol
    I applaud your unwaivering enthusiasm. From the sideline, La Vega's sideline, I saw numerous personnel changes, mostly on defense, but some on offense as well, not just relief players, but players who had not been in the game at all, several of their d-line starts were getting rested, for long stretches. This started late in the 3rd quarter. That is when we scored again after not scoring since early in the 1st quarter. Some of those starters returned to the game in the 4th, albeit not consistently. My comment about letting off the gas doesn't mean they were not trying to score, but they were not doing it with the same personnel who started and played most of the game.

Hey, we can take a lesson from the Stephenville Argyle game, which is that the less favored team can win at any given time if we play mistake free ball, and make the other team make those mistakes.
    Last edited by panfan; 12-04-2017 at 05:41 PM.
    You Talking to Me?