Default When did this change?

Went to bed last night relieved that Liberty Hill had prevailed in a very tough (and poorly officiated!) game against Chins Spring. Could have gone either way.

Awoke this morning to find out that we were awarded a "Regional Championship trophy" last night. HUH?

Assuming everyone who won this round three game was awarded a trophy, how do you have 8 regional champs for 4 regions? In the past when you made it to be one 0f the last two in your region you were playing for the regional championship.
    Is this a spin off of "everybody gets a trophy"? When and why did it change?

Administrator/Owner LH Panther Mom's Avatar

I had this same conversation last night with my son. Techinally, I think it's regional semi-finals but it has been bi-district, area, regional, quarterfinal, semi-final, state for as long as I remember. I checked brackets from 2001 to confirm.

I'm guessing when more than district champs made the playoffs was the change.
    Quick side! Strong side! Crank up the Machine!

All-District
    Blog Entries

Maybe each game winner gets trophy - bring to next game - winner gets both - and so on - Final winner gets them ALL !!!
    UIL made extra $$ - so trohys for all !!!

Quote Originally Posted by stardog View Post
    Maybe each game winner gets trophy - bring to next game - winner gets both - and so on - Final winner gets them ALL !!!
    UIL made extra $$ - so trohys for all !!!

Most of the time the host School District provides a trophy to the winning team. Part of the stadium rental. Host school also pays the officials.
    The only trophies UIL provides are at Cowboy Stadium.

Quote Originally Posted by Rabid Cougar View Post
    Most of the time the host School District provides a trophy to the winning team. Part of the stadium rental. Host school also pays the officials.
    The only trophies UIL provides are at Cowboy Stadium.
    Thanks RC! I still don't understand how two teams in a Region get designated as "Regional Champions". Two World Series Champs, Two CFS Champs, Two District Champs, Two Super Bowl Champs, Two Little League National Champions. This makes no sense.
    Two years ago Liberty Hill lost to La Vega in the now designated "State Quarterifnals" (I think) when they were in a different district and I don't remember any declaration of being district champs. If they insist, call it Bi-area or Super area.

Starter

I don't like it called quarterfinals.You're playing for the region champs so call it that.They call the third round regional but it's not for the region.lol

Quote Originally Posted by GUNHO View Post
    I don't like it called quarterfinals.You're playing for the region champs so call it that.They call the third round regional but it's not for the region.lol
    Agree totally! Call it "b-area" or semi-regional or skip regionals and call it state quarterfinals.

IMO everything should have the regional connotation until there are 4 teams left. THEN you have state semi's and state final.

Starter

Quote Originally Posted by Daddy D 11 View Post
    IMO everything should have the regional connotation until there are 4 teams left. THEN you have state semi's and state final.
    Round 1,2,3,4 semi's and state.lol

Starter

There doesn't have to be a championship associated with EVERY playoff round.

I'm sure 0-11 Houston Scarborough was thrilled with their bi-district runner-up finish a couple of years ago.
    24 down ... 24 to go.

All-American

So everyone gets a trophy? Millennials omg
    **<Current Month> Hot Girl of the Month**