Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Aesculus gilmus View Post
    Ten years ago, we played unheralded Mabank in the second round on a cold, windy rain at SFA.

They hung around the whole game and lost by a TD, 35-28. Of course, Mabank DID have a passing attack.
    I was at that game...surely it hasn't been 10 years!?!?!!

Quote Originally Posted by pirate4state View Post
    I was at that game...surely it hasn't been 10 years!?!?!!
    You sat through that one? Geez, I nearly froze my tail off. Upper 30s, 25-35 mph winds, steady rain blowing sideways. That game was miserable. Or am I thinking of another game...?
    "Kaizen"

".......offense wins games, but DEFENSE wins championships!"

P.R.I.D.E.

Gilmer Buckeyes -State Champions:

2004 3A - Division II
    2009 3A - Division I
    2014 4A - Division II
    2023 4A - Division II

All-American

That Mabank game was miserable. Period
    Originally posted by Ranger Mom
    Umm...what is a sweet beaver??
    the best kind???

Quote Originally Posted by waterboy View Post
    You sat through that one? Geez, I nearly froze my tail off. Upper 30s, 25-35 mph winds, steady rain blowing sideways. That game was miserable. Or am I thinking of another game...?
    I sure did! Yes, it was miserable! That might have been my first Gilmer game. I can't believe it's been 10 years!!! WOW. That year Sinton went 1-9, so I went to A LOT of other games LOL

I sure did! Yes, it was miserable! That might have been my first Gilmer game. I can't believe it's been 10 years!!! WOW. That year Sinton went 1-9, so I went to A LOT of other games LOL
    I didn't meet you until the Gilmer / WO-S playoff game in 2008, so I didn't know who you was.
    "Kaizen"

P.R.I.D.E.

2004 3A - Division II
    2009 3A - Division I
    2014 4A - Division II
    2023 4A - Division II

2008 or 2009...@SFA...I think it was 2009 with Jasper...cold & wet...miserable...we did win it
    buckeyebob

Quote Originally Posted by buckeyebob View Post
    2008 or 2009...@SFA...I think it was 2009 with Jasper...cold & wet...miserable...we did win it
    I'm pretty sure the game we're talking about was the one against Mabank when Browning was their QB. We played Jasper twice in '09. The first game of the season was in Nac. It wasn't cold, but it was a little wet. The second meeting was in TMF / Rose Stadium in bi-district. Of course we won both games convincing, and went on to win another state championship with Stump as our QB.
    "Kaizen"

P.R.I.D.E.

2004 3A - Division II
    2009 3A - Division I
    2014 4A - Division II
    2023 4A - Division II

All-American

I'm pretty sure the game we're talking about was the one against Mabank when Browning was their QB. We played Jasper twice in '09. The first game of the season was in Nac. It wasn't cold, but it was a little wet. The second meeting was in TMF / Rose Stadium in bi-district. Of course we won both games convincing, and went on to win another state championship with Stump as our QB.

Stump was fun to watch. It helped that the 2009 Buckeyes could play a decent brand of defense, too. They gave up some points, but all to really, really good teams, and even some of those came in scrap time.
    Texas Forever.

Quote Originally Posted by d0tc0m View Post
    Stump was fun to watch. It helped that the 2009 Buckeyes could play a decent brand of defense, too. They gave up some points, but all to really, really good teams, and even some of those came in scrap time.
    Stump was about as special a player as you will see. He was a competitor, very skilled, and very heady. He always had a grasp on the situation in any game, and would take a game over in a heartbeat. I miss his skill set. He always seemed to know exactly what to do and when to do it, whether it be drop a ball perfectly into a receiver's arms at 50 yards, throw a 30-yard zinger on a line into tight coverage perfectly, or take off running to get the first down and more. I think he was the best overall QB we've ever had at Gilmer, and that's saying something with the likes of Derek McKenzie (Poppy's older brother), G.J. Kinne, Luke Turner, Tanner Barr, and McLane Carter to compare to. Yes, the defense was definitely good enough in them days to get enough stops for us to overcome other teams' offensive prowess.

You brought back some fond memories. Poppy is good in his own right. He's not the prototypical QB because of his height, but he can still run and pass with the best of them. I don't think Poppy has the supporting cast the previous QBs had, though. Who knows, they may be good enough, though. We'll see.
    "Kaizen"

P.R.I.D.E.

2004 3A - Division II
    2009 3A - Division I
    2014 4A - Division II
    2023 4A - Division II

You are correct...I am old & getting more senile...ask my (I forget)
    buckeyebob

Quote Originally Posted by buckeyebob View Post
    You are correct...I am old & getting more senile...ask my (I forget)
    Wife #4 or #5?
    "Kaizen"

P.R.I.D.E.

2004 3A - Division II
    2009 3A - Division I
    2014 4A - Division II
    2023 4A - Division II

All-American

Stump was about as special a player as you will see. He was a competitor, very skilled, and very heady. He always had a grasp on the situation in any game, and would take a game over in a heartbeat. I miss his skill set. He always seemed to know exactly what to do and when to do it, whether it be drop a ball perfectly into a receiver's arms at 50 yards, throw a 30-yard zinger on a line into tight coverage perfectly, or take off running to get the first down and more. I think he was the best overall QB we've ever had at Gilmer, and that's saying something with the likes of Derek McKenzie (Poppy's older brother), G.J. Kinne, Luke Turner, Tanner Barr, and McLane Carter to compare to. Yes, the defense was definitely good enough in them days to get enough stops for us to overcome other teams' offensive prowess.

You brought back some fond memories. Poppy is good in his own right. He's not the prototypical QB because of his height, but he can still run and pass with the best of them. I don't think Poppy has the supporting cast the previous QBs had, though. Who knows, they may be good enough, though. We'll see.

Stump was a killer. Kris Boyd was a killer. DeMarco Boyd was a killer. Manuel Johnson was a killer.

All of these dudes could just flat out take over a game at a moment's notice, and did just that on several occasions. They wouldn't be beat. They wouldn't be denied. When they saw the chance for the kill, they took it, and there wasn't anything that was going to stop them. Gilmer, this year, from what I've seen, just doesn't have a killer on the roster. And, yet, the talent is such that they still might make it all the way.
    Texas Forever.

All-American

Poppy is that guy. He has the heart of a lion. He hates losing and he could very well carry us farther than I think we will go. The problem is he just doesn't have quite the supporting cast. If we get beat it will not be because Poppy Brown did not give way more than his 100%
    Originally posted by Ranger Mom
    Umm...what is a sweet beaver??
    the best kind???

Quote Originally Posted by lostaussie View Post
    Poppy is that guy. He has the heart of a lion. He hates losing and he could very well carry us farther than I think we will go. The problem is he just doesn't have quite the supporting cast. If we get beat it will not be because Poppy Brown did not give way more than his 100%
    Tell that to the guys that sit behind you at home games

Tell that to the guys that sit behind you at home games
    Haha..., there are some of those in every crowd. That's why I sit where I sit. I don't want to be having to tell people to shut up with the negativity.

Poppy does have the heart of a lion, and I'll have to agree that the supporting cast he has is not nearly what we've had in the past. The other side of the ball is what will determine how far we go.
    "Kaizen"

P.R.I.D.E.

2004 3A - Division II
    2009 3A - Division I
    2014 4A - Division II
    2023 4A - Division II