(46) Wimberley vs Carrizo Springs
    (6) Raymondville vs Sinton
    (14) Pearsall vs Hondo
    (26) Sweeny vs Orange Grove

(44) Cuero vs Corpus Christi West Oso
    (3) Crystal City vs Llano
    (29) Rio Hondo vs Aransas Pass
    (27) Geronimo Navarro vs Devine
    Last edited by Sweetwater Red; 11-13-2017 at 10:20 PM.

Aubrey over Canton by 24
    Melissa over Dallas Lincoln by 45
    Celina over Ferris by 35
    Caddo Mills over Wills Point by 14

Melissa and Celina scores could be more.
    1stand10

Well we prolly could beat that 74 point spread but Coach Thompson would never do that. In the past four years our first round opponents have a combined 5 wins.
    424-100-3 (80.74% win percentage) Highest winning percentage in the state

9 straight Region III Finals '11-'19
    56 consecutive district game wins '09-'20 (88-1 in district since 2003)
    37 consecutive non-losing seasons '84-'20

4 Championships - 1986, 1987, 2015, 2016
    8 State Finals - 1986, 1987, 1988, 2000, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017
    9 Semifinals - 1986, 1987, 1988, 2000, 2005, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017
    14 Quarterfinals - 1986, 1987, 1988, 2000, 2005, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019
    31 Playoff Appearances

All-American

Quote Originally Posted by WOS87 View Post
    Well we prolly could beat that 74 point spread but Coach Thompson would never do that. In the past four years our first round opponents have a combined 5 wins.

Yeah, and those poor first-round teams were going up against some of the best WOS squads ever ... which is saying something.
    Texas Forever.

All-American

Quote Originally Posted by orange machine View Post
    Aubrey over Canton by 24
    Melissa over Dallas Lincoln by 45
    Celina over Ferris by 35
    Caddo Mills over Wills Point by 14

Melissa and Celina scores could be more.

You're probably right. Celina will have their hands full next week, with either Atlanta or Jasper, though. And Rusk won't be a pushover for Melissa. Although, I full expect the Cardinals to be playing for the Region II title.
    Texas Forever.

Quote Originally Posted by d0tc0m View Post
    You're probably right. Celina will have their hands full next week, with either Atlanta or Jasper, though. And Rusk won't be a pushover for Melissa. Although, I full expect the Cardinals to be playing for the Region II title.
    So..., you think Melissa will beat the Buckeyes if they take care of their end? I'm thinking a Pleasant Grove / Gilmer rematch in the regional finals.
    "Kaizen"

".......offense wins games, but DEFENSE wins championships!"

P.R.I.D.E.

Gilmer Buckeyes -State Champions:

2004 3A - Division II
    2009 3A - Division I
    2014 4A - Division II
    2023 4A - Division II

All-American

Quote Originally Posted by waterboy View Post
    So..., you think Melissa will beat the Buckeyes if they take care of their end? I'm thinking a Pleasant Grove / Gilmer rematch in the regional finals.

I do think Melissa will beat Gilmer. I certainly could be wrong, but the Cardinals have the right makeup to take down the Buckeyes.

They are big and fast on defense. Their LBs are some of the quickest I've seen in a while. Only LB corps I've seen this year that is better is the bunch from Carthage. They cover well in the open field, too. Their DEs are very quick off the snap and keep contain very well, and put relentless pressure on the opposing QB. DBs are solid. Not otherworldly, but they are good at limiting the big play. On offense, the Cardinals have plenty of athletes, a good, physical, quick RB, a good receiving corps, and a QB who can deliver the ball on-time, on-target, and makes good decisions. And he can run the ball pretty well, too. Not nearly as good as Copeland was at Argyle, but he was the best QB in 4A this year before he got hurt, in my opinion.

I actually have Melissa winning Div. II, for what it's worth, which is nothing.
    Texas Forever.

All-American
    Blog Entries

Surprise, surprise, surprise.......I also have Melissa winning Division II. I have them against Pleasant Grove, then Graham, and beating Cuero for the title. The way this year has gone with trying to pick weekly winners, the Cardinals will probably not get out of the 3rd Round.....which just so happens to be the Gilmer game, LOL.
    Yesterdays are gone forever and tomorrows may never happen, but today you have the opportunity to make a difference.

All-American

Going with Sealy over North Forest--Bellville is like a home game for the Tigers

All-American

Columbus-Salado spread will be closer-Cardinal playing good football right now

All-American

Quote Originally Posted by regaleagle View Post
    Surprise, surprise, surprise.......I also have Melissa winning Division II. I have them against Pleasant Grove, then Graham, and beating Cuero for the title. The way this year has gone with trying to pick weekly winners, the Cardinals will probably not get out of the 3rd Round.....which just so happens to be the Gilmer game, LOL.

Ah, not that I would argue your pick, reagle, but I did make a mistake in my post. I actually meant to say I have Melissa winning Region II in Div. II. I have them beating Pleasant Grove, and then losing in the semifinals to Graham, who I then have losing to Cuero in the state championship game. But I deleted my bracket picks two or three times and redid them, then deleted, and did it again before finally throwing my hands up and finishing with a Final Four of Graham, Melissa, WOS, Cuero. As I said in another thread, Div. II just seems to be up for grabs this season. I am about 45% confident in my picks.

I hated not picking Wimberley, because I've been high on them all year, and because another semifinal bout with WOS a la 2005 would have been something special. But Cuero, I think, has just enough defense to knock off the Texans.
    Texas Forever.

I don't think Graham will have the speed to keep up with Melissa.
    1stand10

Melissa sounds like the team to beat in Region 2 if everything that is being said is spot on. It's really hard to tell how they will match up with the beasts from the East, though. I know historically they haven't matched up well at all. Maybe this year is different. We shall see. I just hope the Buckeyes continue to play. I honestly think the Buckeyes will get their rematch with Pleasant Grove in the Regional Finals. I've been wrong before, so it wouldn't be the first time I'd be wrong. Pleasant Grove has a really special team this year. I will say that. It's going to take a heck of a team to beat them. I will also say that the Buckeyes are starting to put it together defensively this year. I've been encouraged by what I've seen the last couple of weeks. They're not there yet but they're not really far from being good enough to continue playing deep into the playoffs.
    "Kaizen"

".......offense wins games, but DEFENSE wins championships!"

P.R.I.D.E.

Gilmer Buckeyes -State Champions:

2004 3A - Division II
    2009 3A - Division I
    2014 4A - Division II
    2023 4A - Division II

Quote Originally Posted by waterboy View Post
    Melissa sounds like the team to beat in Region 2 if everything that is being said is spot on. It's really hard to tell how they will match up with the beasts from the East, though. I know historically they haven't matched up well at all. Maybe this year is different. We shall see. I just hope the Buckeyes continue to play. I honestly think the Buckeyes will get their rematch with Pleasant Grove in the Regional Finals. I've been wrong before, so it wouldn't be the first time I'd be wrong. Pleasant Grove has a really special team this year. I will say that. It's going to take a heck of a team to beat them. I will also say that the Buckeyes are starting to put it together defensively this year. I've been encouraged by what I've seen the last couple of weeks. They're not there yet but they're not really far from being good enough to continue playing deep into the playoffs.
    Good post. Melissa has been rebuilding the last 4 years just like Celina maybe doing the same.
    1stand10

All-American

Quote Originally Posted by orange machine View Post
    Good post. Melissa has been rebuilding the last 4 years just like Celina maybe doing the same.

Celina has good kids on the team right now. They're really just a few key pieces from being a legitimate title contender, and those pieces will be coming up next year. Celina's JV team went 11-0 and really took the opposition to the woodshed this year. They played some very stout competition, too. The other underclassmen teams did really well, too.

The sophomore QB who captained that 11-0 mark is pretty good. In my opinion, he should be the QB for the varsity, but I completely understand the coaching rationale in keeping him with the group he's with and letting him develop with them. Ross, Celina's QB all season, has all the tools you would want a QB to have. He is super quick and shifty and has a strong arm and decent size. But he has just not progressed at all this year the way you would like to see. Some of that is within his control and some of it is just a lack of feel for the game, in all honesty. He's a really good kid, from what I hear, and a good teammate. But, my hope is that next year, they utilize his sheer athleticism and abilities in other ways besides QB. He could really put up some big numbers as a hybrid running back/receiver type, and could honestly play on the defensive side, too. I would like for the coaches to develop Watson, the sophomore, and let him have two good years as the varsity starter beginning next year. With him under center, and with Ross being utilized in a different offensive role, you could have quite the explosive tandem, in my opinion.

But, I trust these coaches. They know far more than me, that's for sure, and they know their kids really well. They'll do what's best for the team and the program.
    Texas Forever.