All-American

Default Officiating Shortage Likely to Impact DFW in 2018

All-American

Hmmm... the UIL may have to actually open up the pocket book a little and make it worth the officials’ time and effort. Lord knows they have it to spend (but doubt they will... ).

All-American

They did approve an increase in pay for football officials

All-American

Just make sure I never have to hear "the previous play is under further review" at the high school level. It is killing the sport at the college and pro levels. The Texas-OU game lasted nearly four hours.

Quote Originally Posted by Aesculus gilmus View Post
    Just make sure I never have to hear "the previous play is under further review" at the high school level. It is killing the sport at the college and pro levels. The Texas-OU game lasted nearly four hours.
    I think the 70 total passes..30 inompletes..43 first downs..14 penalties( accepted) had as much to do with the time as reviews did.
    Sideline To Sideline Show Each Week at https://lonestargridiron.com/categor...-to-sideline//

All-American

Quote Originally Posted by Txbroadcaster View Post
    I think the 70 total passes..30 inompletes..43 first downs..14 penalties( accepted) had as much to do with the time as reviews did.
    You're right about that particular game. In general, I stand by my assertion that "under further review" is ruining the sport. What's just as insufferable as the delay are these new "analysts" located in New York or Los Angeles who are called upon to bloviate while the ref has his head under the hood watching the play again.

Quote Originally Posted by Aesculus gilmus View Post
    You're right about that particular game. In general, I stand by my assertion that "under further review" is ruining the sport. What's just as insufferable as the delay are these new "analysts" located in New York or Los Angeles who are called upon to bloviate while the ref has his head under the hood watching the play again.
    Yea I hate the call on the former guy to tell us if the current guy is going to make the right call. The actual review, does not bother me at all, especially in the NFL where coaches only have so many challenges. College gets frustrating at times because they do get challenge happy by the replay guy but I still prefer them getting right big plays than not having it.
    Sideline To Sideline Show Each Week at https://lonestargridiron.com/categor...-to-sideline//

The husband of one of my coworkers officiates out of the Houston chapter... he and his "guys" were out of the Corpus chapter, then Austin - now they're in the Houston chapter - they call games in the Galveston area (quite a drive from Cuero) He told me a while back that they are spread pretty thin and really would love some "new, young guys" to join....
    Back "in the day" when my daddy officiated (1975-1993) they had a Victoria Chapter... (they still might for all I know) he LOVED his ballgames... he rode to the games with the same group most of the time... They'd have weekly meetings on Monday nights (during FB season) He officiated his last game in November, 1993 - Friday night (playoff game) in Kenedy - We went to the Cuero vs Marble Falls game at UT Stadium that Saturday night (My oldest was a Senior that year - one of the coldest and best games I've been to) He taught school Monday, went home and passed away unexpectedly Monday night.. that was the week of Thanksgiving.... We had the visitation Weds night and a memorial service at 9:00AM Friday.. you might ask WHY at 9:00 AM?- because the Gobblers were playing in San Marcos at 2:00 PM - iT'S ALL ABOUT PRIORITIES Many of the players, most of the coaches and about 15 Officials from South Texas were in attendance. Things just aren't the same

Isn't it strange that after a bombing everyone blames the Crazy Azz bomber(s), but after a shooting the problem is the gun?

Quote Originally Posted by 44INAROW View Post
    The husband of one of my coworkers officiates out of the Houston chapter... he and his "guys" were out of the Corpus chapter, then Austin - now they're in the Houston chapter - they call games in the Galveston area (quite a drive from Cuero) He told me a while back that they are spread pretty thin and really would love some "new, young guys" to join....
    Back "in the day" when my daddy officiated (1975-1993) they had a Victoria Chapter... (they still might for all I know) he LOVED his ballgames... he rode to the games with the same group most of the time... They'd have weekly meetings on Monday nights (during FB season) He officiated his last game in November, 1993 - Friday night (playoff game) in Kenedy - We went to the Cuero vs Marble Falls game at UT Stadium that Saturday night (My oldest was a Senior that year - one of the coldest and best games I've been to) He taught school Monday, went home and passed away unexpectedly Monday night.. that was the week of Thanksgiving.... We had the visitation Weds night and a memorial service at 9:00AM Friday.. you might ask WHY at 9:00 AM?- because the Gobblers were playing in San Marcos at 2:00 PM - iT'S ALL ABOUT PRIORITIES Many of the players, most of the coaches and about 15 Officials from South Texas were in attendance. Things just aren't the same
    Great story 44 thanks for sharing.. makes it all worth it when someone puts their heart into it.

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk
    Go Steers!