Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    All-American
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hater View Post
    Looks like the running back didn't play against Van Alstyne, so those numbers are actually in 5 games, not 6 (for what its worth).

http://www.gainesvilleregister.com/sports/baker-returns-as-leopards-pick-up-first-district-win/article_3=a6bffd2-b381-11e7-b258-5f895040ebf5.html
    Wow......this guy must be the best kept secret in 4A football. That's alot of yards.....I don't care who you're playing. You just know every defense is loading up to stop this guy. I'm going to the game this Friday.......I'll see him with my own eyes and see how Argyle tries to stop him. I'm guessing he'll get his 100+ yards regardless. From the article......sounds like their O-line is doing a pretty good job of creating holes too. Sounds to me like this could be one of those "trap" games for Argyle......I think Gainesville is better than their record and competition shows.
    Yesterdays are gone forever and tomorrows may never happen, but today you have the opportunity to make a difference.

All-American
    Blog Entries

When Argyle played Paris, the Eagles offense had trouble with the speed and size of the Paris team overall, but especially their defensive ends and linebackers. I'm curious to find out how the Eagles will respond to a team with speed on offense and a big accurate qb.....combined with a big O-line. Celina gave the Eagles trouble with a big offensive line and some speedy skill players if you will remember......they scored 34 pts. against Argyle, by far the most of the season so far. The point is I want to see if Argyle has really improved in handling some of these problem areas that showed up in games earlier this season. Looks like Gainesville may show us if Argyle has improved in handling the speed and size of teams that pose a threat both offensively and defensively. For the most part, most of the points scored against Argyle this season have come against the 2nd teamers late in the game, but not so against Celina. I don't recall another team even getting points on the board early before halftime where the game was within one touchdown at the half this season. Even against Celina, the halftime score was 42-20......I think it was 10-0 against Paris. But......Argyle has not yet faced a team with a rb or an offense with such prolific numbers like Gainesville has this season. I'll be interested to see if those gawdy numbers are able to translate on the field against this season's Argyle Eagles team. If not, then we will have our answer. If they do translate......then the game should be close......unless Argyle goes totally offensive and scores almost every time they have the ball. From the stats......its starting to look like this will be a highly offensive type of game. But you never know with Argyle's defense.....they've been improving every game. Last week, Decatur put up 14 of their 21 points scored in the last quarter against the 2nd team defense.......just to give you an idea.
    Last edited by regaleagle; 10-19-2017 at 02:41 PM.
    Yesterdays are gone forever and tomorrows may never happen, but today you have the opportunity to make a difference.

All-American
    Blog Entries

Calion Baker for Gainesville should give the Argyle defense a very good test and barometer for how it defends against a speedy, cat-like runningback that is a threat anytime he has the ball. How well will the linebackers and secondary be able to cover with Baker in the backfield, Huh? What about the other Baker RB.....sophomore Brandon has over 100 yds. rushing per game also. What happens if both are in the backfield at the same time.....or one lines up at slot or wideout and the other in the backfield? See what I mean.....and then there's that other athletic guy with speed Senior and probably team leader Josh Kemp to worry about.....he's a main weapon too. None of this would be too much for the Eagles if the Leopard offense was not balanced in both the running and passing games, but it is....and both have been very prolific numberwise. That means the O-line and qb are good enough to cause some problems for defenses. Now you begin to see what I'm thinking about......this may be a good game to go see. I really don't see a blowout in this one, folks. What I see is a battle and a highly entertaining offensive game about to happen. GO EAGLES!!

All-American
    Blog Entries

In Coachspeak......it's called give credit where credit is due.....regardless of the team's record or schedule played. Gainesville should be 4-2 now, but it really doesn't matter. What does matter is this game against the Argyle Eagles......you have to believe Gainesville will bring their very best effort to the field this week. I'm sure they will stick with what's been working and the success they've already achieved against other teams' defenses. I'm in the dark about what kind of defense Gainesville will be able to play against an offensive juggernaut like Argyle.....but I will assume the Leopards have been working diligently to get that part of their scheme up to a higher level. Missed opportunities, a turnover here or there, short fields with an excellent kicker......there is a recipe here for disaster for the Eagles.....just sayin'.

Throw in some limited possessions because of a ball control running game and a very good punter......well it COULD get mighty challenging for the Eagles. That doesn't even count their propensity to break big plays and score.
    Last edited by regaleagle; 10-19-2017 at 04:14 PM.

All-American
    Blog Entries

Just fantastic weather for a Friday night football game in Argyle tonight. Kickoff is at 7 pm, so I'll be back home before most other games are done. Time to get ready and go see how the Eagles will stop those Baker Boyz from Gainesville. This one should be full of offense on both sides tonite......I just hope Argyle's side comes out on top. GO EAGLES!!

Junior Varsity

Sure was a lot of hype on Gainesville that I never saw in the game. Yes the little running back is fast, but he was pretty much shut down by the Argyle Starting D.... But why we're on the running back subject ( an this may hurt some feelings) Noah Lang is Argyles best running back. And I'm a fan of Williams. These 2 backs will be dangerous in the playoffs.

All-American
    Blog Entries

It was a total beatdown......Gainesville couldn't get their engine started. They scored 2 TD's against the 2nd teamers late. Argyle had their homecoming and looked very sharp tonite. The D was just in total shutdown mode. Lots of wind......but Copeland still threw great passes all night. I guess Argyle is very, very good......sometimes they worry me, though. I see the holding penalties and the block in the back penalties on kick returns......stuff they should not be doing at this stage of the season......did that again several times tonight with a big lead......I'm sure it drives the coaches crazy. They just give away big gains or TD's........field position in a game against a better opponent might be a big deal. I'd like to see them have more discipline and less penalties. Sometimes when a team is winning big early......the flags fly very easily. I think that's part of the problem.......but if it wasn't there in the first place, the refs couldn't throw the flag. Final score was 56-13.......Argyle took a knee inside the 10 several times to kill the game. Those Baker Boyz finally broke off some gains in the 4th......both can run like lightning in a bottle......just not against a good D like Argyle has. BTW.....they are not related, just the same last name. Calion is the senior, and Brandon is the soph. Brandon is very impressive for a soph. running back.......he's gonna be really good......he's already good! The Eagles were all over their big Qb Franklin......he really didn't have much time to do anything tonite. I don't know how many sacks and thrown for losses the Argyle D had tonite........too many to count. The vast majority of Gainesville's yards came in the 4th......maybe 70%. Next week the Eagles travel to Sanger........they just love beating Argyle in anything, LOL. But I don't think it's gonna happen this season in football.

All-American
    Blog Entries

Lang is like silk with speed and lightning fast changes of direction......his yards look so easy as he makes his way thru the traffic. Williams is more of a workhorse-type back......he has moves in the open field too and plenty of speed. Lang is very smooth and has great vision and anticipation, but so does Williams. Both have their own style, but both also share some of the same attributes you look for in a quality RB. Lang usually spells Williams as the back-up when the game is still undecided, but gets more work when Argyle has a good lead in the 2nd half......so he's running against a spent defense more than Williams is. I love watching both of them work their magic and make the defense miss......they will be a great one-two punch for Argyle in the playoffs, for sure. I think we are seeing a team that has not yet reached it full potential yet......but the O-line and Defense are getting there alot faster now. I'm still concerned about the secondary getting burned......Argyle really needs to face a very good passing team like Van, Gilmer, and Carthage......a team with an outstanding throwing QB. I thought we'd get that with Decatur......but the D shut him down and was in his face all night. Copeland is starting to look like a field general out there......he's got tons of talent.

All-American

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
    ...But why we're on the running back subject ( an this may hurt some feelings) Noah Lang is Argyles best running back...
    Great kid—very strong for his size... benched 300 lbs in the 8th grade. Don’t see that very often. His grandfather was a DB for the Oilers back in the day. We sure could have used him this year...

All-District

I know it's a very long way away, but I would love to see Argyle vs Carthage at Jerry World.

All-American

Quote Originally Posted by Dawgs View Post
    I know it's a very long way away, but I would love to see Argyle vs Carthage at Jerry World.
    Suspect you’ll get your wish barring a major upset...

I'm wondering if Wichita Falls Hirschi will give Argyle a good game 11-3?? They are quietly beating down teams. Their only loss to Graham 42-35

Junior Varsity

I think Argyle's D will be to much for them. And I don't see them stopping Argyles running game or passing game. I believe they will score some points, but not a bunch.

All-American
    Blog Entries

Decatur did have over 602 yds of total offense against Hirschi.......but Hirschi had 724 yds. total offense, LOL. Looks like both teams have a problem somewhere in their defense. Decatur racked up 439 yds passing and Hirschi had 594 rushing.......580 yds coming from Foster all by his lonesome. Looks like Hirschi might be a little weak in the secondary, but we really don't know because Decatur was passing all night to play catch up to Hirschi......they got off to a big lead right away. Hirschi scored 69 pts against Decatur.......that's Argylesque, LOL. Not to belittle Argyle......but they had a paltry 498 yds of total offense against Decatur. Most of it happened in 3 qtrs......Argyle only scored 3 pts in the 4th qtr. The numbers were balanced with 273 yds coming from the air and 225 on the ground. Tough to say how good Hirschi really is.......I'd say they have some very skilled athletes, some size on the lines, and some speed at those skill positions. Most likely their techniques cannot match Argyle's.......Argyle is at the top when it comes to technical football. Argyle can beat a more skilled, physical and faster team by playing with heart and using technique.......I've seen them do it time and again.