Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    All-American

Decatur managed just 21 points on Argyle. Decatur's offense has been just as explosive as Gainesville's, and against slightly better competition. Gainesville is athletic enough that they may break a couple of long scoring plays on a missed tackle or a blown assignment, but they won't have a ton of sustained success against Argyle. The Eagles need to just jump as far ahead as they can as quick as they can, put the game out of reach early, then get the starters out and keep them healthy.
    Texas Forever.

All-District

Quote Originally Posted by d0tc0m View Post
    decatur managed just 21 points on argyle. Decatur's offense has been just as explosive as gainesville's, and against slightly better competition. Gainesville is athletic enough that they may break a couple of long scoring plays on a missed tackle or a blown assignment, but they won't have a ton of sustained success against argyle. The eagles need to just jump as far ahead as they can as quick as they can, put the game out of reach early, then get the starters out and keep them healthy.
    ^^^this^^^

Practice Squad

Looks like the running back didn't play against Van Alstyne, so those numbers are actually in 5 games, not 6 (for what its worth).

http://www.gainesvilleregister.com/s...95040ebf5.html

All-American
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hater View Post
    Looks like the running back didn't play against Van Alstyne, so those numbers are actually in 5 games, not 6 (for what its worth).

http://www.gainesvilleregister.com/sports/baker-returns-as-leopards-pick-up-first-district-win/article_3=a6bffd2-b381-11e7-b258-5f895040ebf5.html
    Wow......this guy must be the best kept secret in 4A football. That's alot of yards.....I don't care who you're playing. You just know every defense is loading up to stop this guy. I'm going to the game this Friday.......I'll see him with my own eyes and see how Argyle tries to stop him. I'm guessing he'll get his 100+ yards regardless. From the article......sounds like their O-line is doing a pretty good job of creating holes too. Sounds to me like this could be one of those "trap" games for Argyle......I think Gainesville is better than their record and competition shows.
    Yesterdays are gone forever and tomorrows may never happen, but today you have the opportunity to make a difference.

All-American
    Blog Entries

When Argyle played Paris, the Eagles offense had trouble with the speed and size of the Paris team overall, but especially their defensive ends and linebackers. I'm curious to find out how the Eagles will respond to a team with speed on offense and a big accurate qb.....combined with a big O-line. Celina gave the Eagles trouble with a big offensive line and some speedy skill players if you will remember......they scored 34 pts. against Argyle, by far the most of the season so far. The point is I want to see if Argyle has really improved in handling some of these problem areas that showed up in games earlier this season. Looks like Gainesville may show us if Argyle has improved in handling the speed and size of teams that pose a threat both offensively and defensively. For the most part, most of the points scored against Argyle this season have come against the 2nd teamers late in the game, but not so against Celina. I don't recall another team even getting points on the board early before halftime where the game was within one touchdown at the half this season. Even against Celina, the halftime score was 42-20......I think it was 10-0 against Paris. But......Argyle has not yet faced a team with a rb or an offense with such prolific numbers like Gainesville has this season. I'll be interested to see if those gawdy numbers are able to translate on the field against this season's Argyle Eagles team. If not, then we will have our answer. If they do translate......then the game should be close......unless Argyle goes totally offensive and scores almost every time they have the ball. From the stats......its starting to look like this will be a highly offensive type of game. But you never know with Argyle's defense.....they've been improving every game. Last week, Decatur put up 14 of their 21 points scored in the last quarter against the 2nd team defense.......just to give you an idea.
    Last edited by regaleagle; 10-19-2017 at 02:41 PM.
    Yesterdays are gone forever and tomorrows may never happen, but today you have the opportunity to make a difference.

All-American
    Blog Entries

Calion Baker for Gainesville should give the Argyle defense a very good test and barometer for how it defends against a speedy, cat-like runningback that is a threat anytime he has the ball. How well will the linebackers and secondary be able to cover with Baker in the backfield, Huh? What about the other Baker RB.....sophomore Brandon has over 100 yds. rushing per game also. What happens if both are in the backfield at the same time.....or one lines up at slot or wideout and the other in the backfield? See what I mean.....and then there's that other athletic guy with speed Senior and probably team leader Josh Kemp to worry about.....he's a main weapon too. None of this would be too much for the Eagles if the Leopard offense was not balanced in both the running and passing games, but it is....and both have been very prolific numberwise. That means the O-line and qb are good enough to cause some problems for defenses. Now you begin to see what I'm thinking about......this may be a good game to go see. I really don't see a blowout in this one, folks. What I see is a battle and a highly entertaining offensive game about to happen. GO EAGLES!!

All-American
    Blog Entries

In Coachspeak......it's called give credit where credit is due.....regardless of the team's record or schedule played. Gainesville should be 4-2 now, but it really doesn't matter. What does matter is this game against the Argyle Eagles......you have to believe Gainesville will bring their very best effort to the field this week. I'm sure they will stick with what's been working and the success they've already achieved against other teams' defenses. I'm in the dark about what kind of defense Gainesville will be able to play against an offensive juggernaut like Argyle.....but I will assume the Leopards have been working diligently to get that part of their scheme up to a higher level. Missed opportunities, a turnover here or there, short fields with an excellent kicker......there is a recipe here for disaster for the Eagles.....just sayin'.

Throw in some limited possessions because of a ball control running game and a very good punter......well it COULD get mighty challenging for the Eagles. That doesn't even count their propensity to break big plays and score.
    Last edited by regaleagle; 10-19-2017 at 04:14 PM.