Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OT Question

Junior Varsity

Default OT Question

Brownwood and Wylie went into three OT. Wood didn’t score when they had the ball first, and Wylie scored a TD. The officials brought both teams back out and Wylie attempted and made the PAT. I understand for positive points in case of a tie at the end of the year, but shouldn’t they have been forced to go for two since they were in the third OT?

Quote Originally Posted by wyliefan View Post
    Brownwood and Wylie went into three OT. Wood didn’t score when they had the ball first, and Wylie scored a TD. The officials brought both teams back out and Wylie attempted and made the PAT. I understand for positive points in case of a tie at the end of the year, but shouldn’t they have been forced to go for two since they were in the third OT?
    I already know that folks are going to gripe that I am trying to help with this.... but I did a scan of this rule and I maybe wrong and I am sure someone will rebuff this..... I believe you are correct. The 3rd overtime must be a two-point conversion if the team scores. I see no exceptions and the NCAA rules or in the addendums for the state... I think you are correct on this. I scanned the rules. In the 2017-18 NCAA rule book and the Texas addendum and exceptions. The only thing I can asume is that the referees must of thought because the other team did not score so dont go for the two-point conversion...... but the rules say they must go for two-point conversion. But maybe I am missing something...

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk
    Go Steers!

All-American
    Blog Entries

Ok.....since we are talking about rules, here's another stumper that could come up in a game. IF the qb crosses the LOS with the ball, then goes back behind the LOS again......can he legally complete a pass without a penalty? Or for that matter......could any ballcarrier do this? Let's say it's a double pass......the receiver catches the ball just beyond the LOS, then steps back behind the LOS and completes it to another receiver......what is the call???
    Yesterdays are gone forever and tomorrows may never happen, but today you have the opportunity to make a difference.

All-American

Quote Originally Posted by regaleagle View Post
    Ok.....since we are talking about rules, here's another stumper that could come up in a game. IF the qb crosses the LOS with the ball, then goes back behind the LOS again......can he legally complete a pass without a penalty? Or for that matter......could any ballcarrier do this? Let's say it's a double pass......the receiver catches the ball just beyond the LOS, then steps back behind the LOS and completes it to another receiver......what is the call???

You can't have two forward passes.
    Texas Forever.

All-American
    Blog Entries

Okay.....forget the example part then. Let's just say the qb or another player with the ball crosses the LOS, then for some reason gets back behind the LOS and completes a pass......is there a penalty??? I'm sure this scenario has come up before in both the NCAA and NFL......so there must be a rule.
    Yesterdays are gone forever and tomorrows may never happen, but today you have the opportunity to make a difference.

All-American

Quote Originally Posted by regaleagle View Post
    Okay.....forget the example part then. Let's just say the qb or another player with the ball crosses the LOS, then for some reason gets back behind the LOS and completes a pass......is there a penalty??? I'm sure this scenario has come up before in both the NCAA and NFL......so there must be a rule.

I'm not going to take the time to find this in the rule book, as I'll leave that to someone else. But, if the QB crosses the line of scrimmage, then he is no longer the QB, he's just the ball carrier. If he attempts a pass from that point on, even if it's after he returns behind the line of scrimmage, he will be flagged for an illegal forward pass. This is the same reason why a flea-flicker must occur before the RB crosses the line of scrimmage.
    Texas Forever.

All-American

You cannot cross the LOS and return backwards across the line and throw a forward pass.
    Originally posted by Ranger Mom
    Umm...what is a sweet beaver??
    the best kind???

All-American

Quote Originally Posted by wyliefan View Post
    I thought since Brownwood had already had its possession and failed to score it no longer mattered if Wylie went for 1 or 2. The game was over.

Quote Originally Posted by BwdLion73 View Post
    I thought since Brownwood had already had its possession and failed to score it no longer mattered if Wylie went for 1 or 2. The game was over.
    I think the question is because of any possible tie breakers in the future. A victory by 7 vs a victory by 6 or 8... could come in to play.
    Ville-D is back...

I've never seen an extra point after a team scores the winning TD in overtime. Normally it's a 6 point victory.

Do y'all mind if I ask another rules question? In high school is it intentional grounding if the quarterback is outside the tackles and throws it out of bounds but not past the line of scrimmage? I have seen this not called twice this year.

Quote Originally Posted by BwdLions View Post
    I've never seen an extra point after a team scores the winning TD in overtime. Normally it's a 6 point victory.
    My understanding is that Sandifer could have declined the PAT, but because of the possibility of tie breakers coming down to positive points, he elected to try the PAT. However, that still doesn't answer the question about whether or not we should have had to go for 2 if electing to try for the point/points since it was 3rd OT. Many of us wondered the same thing that wyliefan is asking.

If "the refs" or the coach made them come back out for an untimed down play."By rule" it had to be a two point conversion. No exceptions are listed in the rule book that I can see.... BUT I don't know why they even tried it they didn't have too.
    Go Steers!

All-American

Don’t think they had to... if Wylie, Ville and Wood all hold serve on their home field (which is entirely possible) it’s a 3 way tie for district and it comes down to point differential to determine seeding. That point could be the deciding factor.

Quote Originally Posted by slingshot View Post
    Don’t think they had to... if Wylie, Ville and Wood all hold serve on their home field (which is entirely possible) it’s a 3 way tie for district and it comes down to point differential to determine seeding. That point could be the deciding factor.
    yes but now if it came down to that play the other team can claim that it was an illegal play.. and does not count...and would be correct..see how that works.. if they would have followed the rule book this would not be an option
    Go Steers!