All-American
    Blog Entries

Default Battle of the Eagles: Decatur(3-2) @ Argyle(5-0)

This is the District 4 Region I D-1 opener for both teams following an open week for both teams. Obviously Argyle is favored and will be playing in front of a home crowd this week for only the 2nd time this season. Looks like Decatur's starting qb Wilson Hicks is healthy and had no problem playing in the game against Bridgeport a couple of weeks ago after leaving the game with an injury against Stephenville. Decatur does have some weapons offensively and have been averaging 40 pts/game. I'm not so sure if their defense will be able to stop the offensive onslaught that this year's Argyle Eagles will bring to the field. Argyle has a very good defense as well, so it appears Decatur will need to rely upon some turnovers to keep this game close. We will see how their offense performs against the Argyle defense this week. Decatur has a good team, and should finish no worse than 2 losses in district play this year. I'm looking forward to seeing Argyle play again......they haven't had but one home game all year.
    Yesterdays are gone forever and tomorrows may never happen, but today you have the opportunity to make a difference.

All-American

Argyle. Big.

Yep.
    The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have..... Vince Lombardi

I actually like a few of the Decatur kids this year and hope the best for them. That being said if they are down by 25 with 3 minutes left in the game, I hope Argyle leaves most of their starters in and runs a reverse for a TD...I know Argyle would never do that, but it would be nice for Decatur to get a little of their own medicine...

All-American

Quote Originally Posted by exbull View Post
    I actually like a few of the Decatur kids this year and hope the best for them. That being said if they are down by 25 with 3 minutes left in the game, I hope Argyle leaves most of their starters in and runs a reverse for a TD...I know Argyle would never do that, but it would be nice for Decatur to get a little of their own medicine...
    Butt hurt much
    Originally posted by Ranger Mom
    Umm...what is a sweet beaver??
    the best kind???

All-American
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by exbull View Post
    Probably not the starters......but maybe whomever else is in there playing on offense. They won't score on a play like a reverse, but maybe a straight run or pass play late in the 4th......just because it's their time to play.......and they won't lay down when it's their time to shine. Mostly, the coaches will want them to end it quickly with running plays, though.
    Yesterdays are gone forever and tomorrows may never happen, but today you have the opportunity to make a difference.

All-American

Argyle by as much as they want.
    Texas Forever.

All-American
    Blog Entries

No play by play from me tonight.......not when I'll be there to see the game in person. You folks will have to fend for yourselves in getting the updates from other sources. I really can't say "GO EAGLES!" in this one......since Decatur are Eagles too, LOL. Ima thinkin' the Argyle defense will keep Decatur way below their average of 40 pts. I fully expect them to score with Wilson Hicks at the helm......maybe a final score like 45-21. I give Argyle at least a 3 td favorite in this one.

All-American
    Blog Entries

Hicks likes to throw the deep ball and crossing patterns. He does get rid of the ball in most cases within 3 secs of receiving the snap out of the shotgun. They also like the slip screens and short slants, but if they try that with Argyle it could turn into an interception. Looks to me like Decatur's running game is not very imposing......so they will go mainly to the air. That could be a problem for them......Argyle has a very good pass rush/defense/secondary. Hicks(6-3, 180, junior) does have some height to see over lines.....he's not really that quick, but will tuck it and run if he is forced to. He would rather just throw it quickly......which he does almost automatically. Decatur's best bet in the passing game tonight will be the quick passes with a few long ones to keep the Argyle secondary off the short ones. Decatur does have some very good senior receivers in #1 Reyes(lots of speed and good moves in the open field), and #12 Uselton(very dependable and their leading receiver). #11 Bedford(6-1,170 junior) is also a main target and has good hands to go up and get it. #2 soph. Chapman is also a go-to guy....he has some speed too.

All-American
    Blog Entries

Here's the numbers on Hicks thru 5 games this season( he did leave early in the 2nd half against Stephenville with an injury, but was back the very next week as the starter):

90 completions on 128 attempts for a completion % of .703 for 1405 yds. He's thrown 11 td's and 4 interceptions for a qb rating of 117. He's also rushed for 4 td's on 40 carries for 156 yds.

Now let's look at Jon Copeland's numbers thru 5 games for Argyle this season(most games only 3 qtrs. played):

85 completions on 128 attempts for a completion % of .664 for 1366 yds. He's thrown 16 td's and 3 interceptions for a qb rating of 131.7. He's also rushed for 3 td's. on 28 carries for 159 yds.
    C
    As you can plainly see......the numbers thru 5 games of both qb's are very, very similar......except Copeland did his numbers in 3 qtrs in most games and also Argyle has a much better running game to compliment the passing game than Decatur has.

All-American
    Blog Entries

It was 35-7 at the half.....the Argyle defense sacked Hicks I don't know how many times.....a bunch. There's no doubt he can throw it accurately.....if he has some time. Their smallish soph. running back is very fast and pretty darn good.....Decatur has lots of juniors and sophs starting this season. I think next year they will be a "force" for sure. The final score was 62-21, but it wasn't even that close. They scored twice in the 4th qtr. against Argyle's 2nd-teamers. The 2nd teamers did score a field goal on offense with the back-up kicker.....hooray! The first team offense scored 8 TD's and one field goal in 3 quarters. The first team defense gave up a long pass TD in the first quarter when Decatur had the wind.....and then shut them down from there. At that point it was 14-7......it was 21-7 at the end of the 1st qtr.

Decatur's team had more size than Argyle by a long margin......and lots of height across the field. I guess they are wondering just like everybody else: How did those little guys beat us so bad???